Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Head light polishing help requested

Desert Nate -
    Yeah, I see people driving around at night with dead lens material and as you said, hardly any light coming through.. It has to be dangerous and like you said, no one is really wanting to do anything about from any governmental level, etc...

Perhaps the State Inspection most of us have to get annually, will catch this and hopefully there may be a way to get on a "preferred contractor list" etc., to refer these people to, and get their lenses cleaned off and protected???

If we have any Poly-Sci people on the Forum who may work in State, etc., Government, perhaps they can follow up on this when they go to work???

Well, if these headlight lens kits are just clearbar material, all you have to do is clean lens, spray it with a weak soap water solution, position the clear bra over the lens, move it around to get it centered, squeegee off as much as possible the soap from underneath, and let it naturally dry. It will stick down really well when its dry.. Any remaining soap or water bubbles will dry and leave it all beautiful..
    Just another option..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Desert Nate -
    Yeah, I see people driving around at night with dead lens material and as you said, hardly any light coming through.. It has to be dangerous and like you said, no one is really wanting to do anything about from any governmental level, etc...

Perhaps the State Inspection most of us have to get annually, will catch this and hopefully there may be a way to get on a "preferred contractor list" etc., to refer these people to, and get their lenses cleaned off and protected???

If we have any Poly-Sci people on the Forum who may work in State, etc., Government, perhaps they can follow up on this when they go to work???

Well, if these headlight lens kits are just clearbar material, all you have to do is clean lens, spray it with a weak soap water solution, position the clear bra over the lens, move it around to get it centered, squeegee off as much as possible the soap from underneath, and let it naturally dry. It will stick down really well when its dry.. Any remaining soap or water bubbles will dry and leave it all beautiful..
    Just another option..

Dan F
    Having completed the 4 day Xpel training and installing film for the last 6 months now I can say it`s definitely not that easy. Since most lenses today aren`t exactly flat, stretch is require to get them to fit and knowing where to tack and stretch is critical or you will be left with fingers that don`t want to lay down.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would take a fundamental shift in what those inspections include and the discipline of the places executing them.

Where I live in Illinois, the inspection only includes emissions, so as long as your OBD II port and ECM tests out OK you can drive on the road. Colorado in the 80`s when I lived there too. They were only looking at emissions. I think Texas used to check just the taillights, headlights, and wipers. If they lit you passed. Hawaii was supposed to be a bit more thorough, but most of the time the various garages would simply look around your car, toggle a couple random switches, and sign you off.

It was quite a shock when I lived in the UK. Those inspections were easily 30 minutes and included an instrument that looked at headlight intensity AND aim. They even looked at the amount of rust on the car and whether they felt it was structually sound...ironic for a country that built cars in the 70`s which seemed to disolve when they got wet.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Desert Nate -

You nanny-state liberals, why is this government`s job? What happened to personal responsibility? Shouldn`t people be expected/allowed to decide when their headlights need repair? Why should my tax dollars be used to inspect headlights or generate "preferred contractor lists"? Fortunately here in NJ our wonderful Governor Chris Christie did away with safety inspections for cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    It was quite a shock when I lived in the UK. Those inspections were easily 30 minutes and included an instrument that looked at headlight intensity AND aim. They even looked at the amount of rust on the car and whether they felt it was structually sound...ironic for a country that built cars in the 70`s which seemed to disolve when they got wet.
    I understand the driver tests are quite brutal, also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I buy the coating David Sylican sells (Innovative Detailing) as he`s by far one of the most knowledgeable guys when it comes to HLR. I`m pretty sure he`s relabeling the coating but I`d rather give my money to him than someone I don`t know.
    I don`t see where he`s selling that, I guess just for you pro`s. I had looked into one of those UV-cured coatings, as I recall the most egregious part of it was the UV curing lamps, but you may have them anyway if you use that for other (paint) coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

No state inspections here in Georgia thank goodness. I remember when they did have them and it was a joke. If you had something wrong with your car you would just pay extra to some “good old boy” who would do you a “favor” and pass you or you would get someone who told you something was wrong and would charge to fix a nonexistent problem. In some areas around Atlanta they have an emissions sticker, but I imagine it’s just as crooked as it was in the 70’s.

I read on Detailing World about their MOT inspections and shudder. The time it takes them to do a proper inspection is crazy. You pretty much have to take a day off from work to get an inspection. In Germany they failed a car I had for rust. It was an older Mercedes and built like a tank and only had a tiny bit of rust—failed.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You nanny-state liberals, why is this government`s job? What happened to personal responsibility? Shouldn`t people be expected/allowed to decide when their headlights need repair? Why should my tax dollars be used to inspect headlights or generate "preferred contractor lists"? Fortunately here in NJ our wonderful Governor Chris Christie did away with safety inspections for cars.
    Setec Astronomy --- Now you know better than to call me that.. Shame on you...

How do really poor, or men and women who are not car car savvy, or older people, who are all up to date on "personal responsibility" -to the best of their ability - with no one to help them, get this done???

I try to help people with headlights like this all the time - for free... I have someone scheduled tomorrow to clear up their headlights in the morning.. No charge..

So keep your damn tax dollars - we will all try to help each other just fine..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

How do really poor, or men and women who are not car car savvy, or older people, who are all up to date on "personal responsibility" -to the best of their ability - with no one to help them, get this done???
    Certainly not with bigger government. If government helps them, all they will want is handouts.

I try to help people with headlights like this all the time - for free... I have someone scheduled tomorrow to clear up their headlights in the morning.. No charge..
    There you go, the private sector is the answer! Keep Governor Moonbeam out of it. How many become paying customers for other services after you do this?

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t see where he`s selling that, I guess just for you pro`s. I had looked into one of those UV-cured coatings, as I recall the most egregious part of it was the UV curing lamps, but you may have them anyway if you use that for other (paint) coatings.
    He`ll sell it if you PM him but you can probably find something similar cheaper too. I think SEM has a good one and I don`t believe it needs to be UV cured.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

That`s a little harsh. I`m neither a liberal, nor in favor of big government in our lives. Many places already already peform vehicle inspections, this would be easily incorporated. My issue is public safety. If someone can`t operate their vehicle in a safe manner and become a danger to those around them it`s a bigger problem. I`d be happy with ensuring a vehicle is safe to operate on the roads. Just like with my kids or my subordinates in other situations, you give them all the leway to live/work, but when things go south, you have to step in and restore order. Personal safety of myself and family is one area I take very seriously.
    Likes Stokdgs, mc2hill liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I understand the driver tests are quite brutal, also.
    That was what I heard as well. SOFA laws kept me from having to do more than take a written test and attend a class. I did feel far safer on the roads and really enjoyed driving...as long as I stayed well away from London.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information