Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Northeast Rain!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Northeast Rain!

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    Really??? In Mass?
    The towns here have put up permanent signs for water ban that never come down even in winter and no mater what the lake water levels are. They claim its the ground water levels that are always low? Could be true but fells like the boy who cried wolf.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    We had a massive rain here a few weeks ago & it got water in my basement. I have a walk down easement basement door - there is a drain in the concrete in front of the door.

I was sitting there watching it. The drain became overwhelmed and water actually came under the door. The basement isn`t finished and has a floor drain & sump pump. So not a major deal - just kinda gross and the sump pump worked fine.
    Wow, in a brand new house/development...makes you wonder how much they really think about this stuff when they plan it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Yuck Swanic. Save some raindy day funds, literally and get a plumber to install a checkvalve/backwater vavle. It won`t be cheap but the expense IMO is worth it.
    You DO need to some maintenance on the valve every now and then....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Yuck Swanic. Save some raindy day funds, literally and get a plumber to install a checkvalve/backwater vavle. It won`t be cheap but the expense IMO is worth it.
    You DO need to some maintenance on the valve every now and then....
    Is this the one way valve in the sump pump out line? I already have one of those. If not?

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on your DWV Sewer line, it`s the one way valve going out to the street....unless you`re off a septic.
    Depends on the layout, but the valve is installed right past your main trap. They need to break up the floor/dig, etc

But once installed, at least you won`t get backflow like you describe in the other post....or even worst, sewar backflow.
    $h1t happens in the literall sense. I would not wait till it occurs. Preventive vs. Reactive I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Depending on your DWV Sewer line, it`s the one way valve going out to the street....unless you`re off a septic.
    Depends on the layout, but the valve is installed right past your main trap. They need to break up the floor/dig, etc

But once installed, at least you won`t get backflow like you describe in the other post....or even worst, sewar backflow.
    $h1t happens in the literall sense. I would not wait till it occurs. Preventive vs. Reactive I suppose.
    Maybe I’m missing something? I just got rain water under the door cuz the drain in front of the door couldn’t handle all the rain water cuz it was coming down at a crazy rate.

The basement door is walk down a few steps into an easement. That’s where the rain water bottle necked cuz the drain was overwhelmed. The drain is just fresh water - not sewage. There’s also a drain in the basement floor & sump pump that handled the water once it was in basement

Post Thanks / Like

Misvreadvit SW. Some locations have separate sewer and surface water drainage. Some locations combine....in which I was sorta thinking about me...yeah, it`s all about me ;-)

In my location, it`s combined. So heavy rains, etc - having a checkvalve is a godsend.

Post Thanks / Like

So yesterday my sump pit was down almost empty, I was thinking "alright, water is finally receding!" Yea nope, about 5am this morning the pump kicked on and pumps for a good 5 minutes at a time. 15 minutes later it does it again, and keeps doing it. We had some heavy rain this morning so I guess with the saturated ground it has nowhere to go. It`s starting to seep in some places in my basement now, not bad. Grandmothers house is another story; it`s coming in a steady stream in some places. Luckily the furnace and water heater is raised up on blocks as it`s ponding about 1/2" in those spots!
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information