Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Head light polishing help requested

So I have been pretty confident clearing headlights with an orange cutting pad on a flex Firced rotation DA and M100 or M205. Then finishing with a polishing pad and a finish polish.

The last 2 sets of headlights I have tried to clear did not come out to my satisfaction.

The lights were bad but my orange cutting pad fell apart on the second job. In all fairness the pad is old like 5 years old but it looked fine before starting out.

I own a flex DA, GH6, Rupes dueto 3”, rules 15, an PcXP and an ibird.

Can someone who is confident in clearing headlights please write me a pad, polish and hopefully suggest one of my current machines as a good process on clearing headlights.

I have been using optimum lense to coat the lights. I’m just about out what is you go to product and procedure.

The lights get better but when it’s dark and the lights are on it looks cloudy.

Thanks in advance for then headlight Perscription.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Head light polishing help requested

Headlights, like paint, will differ from brand to brand. On headlights that are just cloudy I use some old CG V32 on a Meguires microfiber cutting pad then finish up (if necessary) with some CG V36 on a Rupes yellow pad. I use the CG stuff because I have it and never want to use it on paint.

If the headlights have turned yellow then I sand first then follow up with the V32 then V36. For sanding I pick up a cheap kit off eBay that has 3 different grits, normally 800, 1200, and 2000. I use the 2000 wet with some rinseless solution.

This works for me. I bought a bunch of bottles of the CG polish many years ago and I thought about throwing it away, but it works fine on headlights. Using Megs 105 followed by 205 should work fine, but if you want to try something new try Megs d300 on a microfiber cutting pad for the first step. I would use Meguires cutting pads over other brands because they are thinner and cut better than the thicker LC microfiber pads. I use my Rupes 75 mini to repair headlights so your Duetto should work fine. If I had a rotary with a 3 inch backing plate I would use this to cut faster and save time, but the Mini will do the job. I’ve got a set that needs to be done now and I may try to substitute a 3 inch wool pad for the microfiber pad to see if it is any quicker/durable.

If you feel like searching, there are some good posts on headlight repair on the AG forum, but there is no definitive technique. Everyone uses something different just like getting paint to shine. I’ve messaged Mike Phillips asking him to do a “how to” article on headlights but never heard anything back. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally love the McKees headlight polish and a 3-4" pad on my drill with a 3" BP. Anything that combo wont get then gets sanded with 1000, 1500, 2000 then hit again with the same pad polish combo.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    I personally love the McKees headlight polish and a 3-4" pad on my drill with a 3" BP. Anything that combo wont get then gets sanded with 1000, 1500, 2000 then hit again with the same pad polish combo.
    You`re happy with how it works as a one-step product, i.e. good cut and good finish? Which pad do you use?

I`m using the Wolfgang kit right now which is a two-step polishing process with two different products and two different pads, but I`m starting to run low on the polishes. I`d be pretty happy to move to a one-step process if I was able to get the same results.

Post Thanks / Like

Mirka sanding discs with a rotary. Finish with cutting/heavy polish pad and a compound after working up to 4000 grit.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    You`re happy with how it works as a one-step product, i.e. good cut and good finish? Which pad do you use?

I`m using the Wolfgang kit right now which is a two-step polishing process with two different products and two different pads, but I`m starting to run low on the polishes. I`d be pretty happy to move to a one-step process if I was able to get the same results.
    Yellow mostly, sometimes foamed wool for one step, I use very little pressure for the last one or 2 passes.

These are the average conditions I see and mostly do Toyota headlights

If those steps arent enough for you Im sure a follow up with polish and a lighter pad will help. These are mostly done for a small car dealer and he just wants them 80-90% so I dont get as close to 100 as I can. Customers are a little different (and more $)
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Desertnate thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Those look pretty good!

I`ll only be working on my own vehicles and the one needing the work these days is a Toyota (what is with their headlight covers!) which sees about 30K miles a year. I`m happy with 80~90%.

Post Thanks / Like

The correction part is easy, the protection part is the part that will eat at you and not let you sleep at night!! LOL. Good luck.
    Don

1989 Formula 350

Post Thanks / Like

If they are yellowed, faded, and pitted I will just sand and reapply a new UV coating now and don`t bother polishing anymore as it`s just a temporary fix. Depending on how badly pitted they are I`d probably start with 320/500 and work my way up to 1500.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Desert Nate -
    Hope you guys are all doing good !

How about getting those pre-cut clear bra material headlight covers?
    I had those installed on my 2009 Jeep 9 years ago, when he applied the same material over the entire front end, and my headlights are still clear as heck.

This clear bra material must have UV protection or it is somehow not damaged by UV..

Oh, also, thats 39k miles of mostly highway driving between CA and Texas.. Lots of hot, hot, sunny weather, etc., in all those trips..
    And the bonus is that this material prevents rocks, etc., from dinging the headlights, etc..

No more worries about when the just cleaned up headlight lens is going to go bad again,etc...
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if auto manufacturers will ever be held accountable for producing headlights that cloud over and become safety issues? If someone has a wreck at night due to cloudy headlights I would like to see the manufacturer sued. In my town at least every other car has compromised headlights. Like Stokdgs said just putting another layer of plastic on will keep them clear for years, but the normal consumer doesn’t know this.
    Likes Stokdgs, Vegas1 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I wonder if auto manufacturers will ever be held accountable for producing headlights that cloud over and become safety issues? If someone has a wreck at night due to cloudy headlights I would like to see the manufacturer sued. In my town at least every other car has compromised headlights. Like Stokdgs said just putting another layer of plastic on will keep them clear for years, but the normal consumer doesn’t know this.
    The ones on my wifes truck (2001 GMC Sierra) are still in really good shape which I think is odd as the vehicle only gets washed once a year because it`s an on farm truck but then again maybe thats why,,lol

My 2008 Impala had yellowing ones which I buffed constantly to keep clear and my Accord headlights aren`t yellowing but the appear to doing a hazing or cracking,,I think I am just going to buy new headlights for it so I can see on those long dark drives to and from work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    If they are yellowed, faded, and pitted I will just sand and reapply a new UV coating
    What do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    What do you use?
    I buy the coating David Sylican sells (Innovative Detailing) as he`s by far one of the most knowledgeable guys when it comes to HLR. I`m pretty sure he`s relabeling the coating but I`d rather give my money to him than someone I don`t know.

Headlight Lens Restoration | Innovative Detailing
    Likes Marine Clerk, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Marine Clerk, Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Desert Nate -
    How about getting those pre-cut clear bra material headlight covers? I had those installed on my 2009 Jeep 9 years ago, when he applied the same material over the entire front end, and my headlights are still clear as heck. This clear bra material must have UV protection or it is somehow not damaged by UV...
    I`ve thought about those, but I`m not confident in my ability to apply those covers and I`m too cheap to pay someone to do it. However, I`m not a danger to myself, bystanders, or nearby small animals when working with a cordless drill and a polish pad attachment. For a few minutes work I don`t mind polishing them out every six months.

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    For those people who drive in a well lit urban area, they probably don`t know their headlights aren`t really working and wouldn`t care if they did. I find it shocking when driving in near-by rural areas and come across a very slow moving vehicle at night. Often their headlights are so hazy there is little more than a faint amber glow being projected and they can`t even see the edge of the pavement, let alone any obstruction up ahead.

I constantly wonder how some manufacturers get headlight lense durability so wrong. I`ve owned a Subaru, Mazda, and a couple Toyota`s which have all hazed/yellowed in 5~8 years. My VW at 5+ years is still crystal clear. A previously owned BMW at 8-ish years was perfectly clear too. Our Honda still looks pretty good too at 8 years. It`s not a German vs Japanese thing either as Mercedes seem to be horrible in this department, or at least their hallogen assemblies. The HID`s seem to be pretty good. I can`t speak for US or Korean cars as I have no experience with either.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information