Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Copmpressor for Tonrador Black

I purchased an open box special. When I got it I could not get it to work.

Spoke to the Autopia Tech guy and he felt maybe my compressor was not up to the job.

The compressor I use is mainly for keeping the tires inflated and occasionally a finishing nailer and air brush kit.

So what compressor are you guys running to get this thing to work?

I would like to pick on up and use it this weekend.

Thanks

Currently I am using a harbor Freight 6 gallon 150 PSI compressor.

6 gal. 1.5 HP 150 PSI Professional Air Compressor

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Copmpressor for Tonrador Black

I have the HF 20 gallon and it works fine. https://www.harborfreight.com/21-gal...sor-61454.html
    With the tool they say the more CFM the better. The 3.4CFM @90psi you get may not be enough to continuously run the tool.
    Likes dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I don`t think a 6gal is big enough. I run a 35gal with 5.5cfm at 90psi. I have a tornador foamer that runs off that no problem. Sounds like you need more volume to keep up with the demand.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

Found a quiet California air 5.3 @ 90 psi. It’s a bit pricey so I’m still looking. Space is tight so I’m looking for smallest package that will work within budget. I infrequently use air. Mostly tires and sports balls. I’m not even sure how this tornador works or how often I’ll use it so I’d like to keep the investment on the lower side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    I have the HF 20 gallon and it works fine. https://www.harborfreight.com/21-gal...sor-61454.html
    With the tool they say the more CFM the better. The 3.4CFM @90psi you get may not be enough to continuously run the tool.
    Same one I got, I definitely recommend it. I`ve used it just about every weekend to blow the grass off my mowers. Also to spray varnish on chairs and furniture. Hasn`t let me down yet. I bought it for $155 w/tax using a coupon. It`s loud as all get-out, but it`s an oil lubricated pump so in theory it hold up better than oil-less. Make sure you follow the break-in to the T.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The least specs is rated at 4.5cfm and a 13 gallon tank. And would be enough for home users. Then it`s nice to have a little over the lower specs. So I would not be angry to wait on the compressor to fill up. Or the compressor is going all of the time. But that`s just me lol. 5.5cfm and over 15 gallon tank would I be looking for. To have the little extra and if I want to use other air consuming tools. They say that the Rupes LHR75 3 Inch Pneumatic Random Orbital Polisher is an awesome polisher. Even if it`s a 3" backing plate it`s a 15mm longthrow polisher. It requires an air compressor with a constant air supply of 80 PSI. Little off topic LOL

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/rupe...-polisher.html
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    The least specs is rated at 4.5cfm and a 13 gallon tank. And would be enough for home users. Then it`s nice to have a little over the lower specs. So I would not be angry to wait on the compressor to fill up. Or the compressor is going all of the time. But that`s just me lol. 5.5cfm and over 15 gallon tank would I be looking for. To have the little extra and if I want to use other air consuming tools. They say that the Rupes LHR75 3 Inch Pneumatic Random Orbital Polisher is an awesome polisher. Even if it`s a 3" backing plate it`s a 15mm longthrow polisher. It requires an air compressor with a constant air supply of 80 PSI. Little off topic LOL

https://www.autopia-carcare.com/rupe...-polisher.html
    We happen to have a Rupes LHR75 3 Inch Pneumatic on Open Box Special right now.

Open Box Deals!
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Found a quiet California air 5.3 @ 90 psi. It’s a bit pricey so I’m still looking. Space is tight so I’m looking for smallest package that will work within budget. I infrequently use air. Mostly tires and sports balls. I’m not even sure how this tornador works or how often I’ll use it so I’d like to keep the investment on the lower side.
    I think HF has great prices on compressors when you get a coupon. The 20 gal unit is also not as big as it looks. It fits in the corner of my garage nicely and out of the way. I can take a picture when I get home.

Post Thanks / Like

I emailed the company about this. I was told a 15 to 20 gallon tank and 5.5 to 6.8 Scfm to get it wo work properly. I want on. On the hunt for a compressor

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone educate me on the functional differences between oil-less and oil compressors.

Post Thanks / Like

This is the one I have. California Air Tools 10 Gal. 2.0 HP Ultra Quiet and Oil-Free Electric Air Compressor
    unnamed.jpg
    It`s small and VERY quiet!
    California Air Tools also makes a 15 gal and a 20 gal. The 10 gal works for me for short bursts. Cleaning pads etc.

It easily moves around the shop. Did I mention it`s quiet!

https://youtu.be/uWYAj-JsSbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReXP_CngZS4

Is it more money than a Harbor Freight model? Yes...Do it once. Do it right.

Post Thanks / Like

jtford95- At the risk of being Mr. Wet Blanket, I sure hope the Tornador Black is All That for you. I had high hopes for mine, but it`s been sitting unused for a long, long time now Not really Buyer`s Remorse (hey, heh heh...it was a Christmas present anyhow ) but enough of a "eh, I don`t need this.." that I hope you really think it through if the $ matters to you.

I watched those videos where it performed miracles. I read all the Rave Reviews here. I thought it through quite carefully. I tried it in various ways with various products for various applications. I`m kinda glad I have it. But I don`t really use it much.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Can someone educate me on the functional differences between oil-less and oil compressors.
    Oil-less compressors are considered maintenance free, but at a "cost." They typically use a Teflon coating for the piston/sleeve as a permanent lubricant. This however does eventually fail. The oil free compressors are typically louder than their oil lubricated counterparts. They are good for occasional and light duty use, I.E. your average homeowner. But, if you want something that last I`d recommend an oil lubricated compressor and keep up on the oil changes. This is what was attractive (to me) on the HF 21 gallon compressor, an oil lubricated pump at a great price. I followed the break-in procedure and changed the oil out to a 0w30 synthetic because it`s in an unheated garage. Most people would argue with me about using detergent oil in a compressor, but I`ve never had issues with it on my other compressor. I abused the snot outta that thing and it`s still going. I bet an oil-free compressor wouldn`t have lasted that long.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

And generally the oil-free compressors are of much lower capacity.

The oil-lubed ones seem to last pretty much forever, even with basically zero maintenance.

I bought an oil-less from HF just for filling tires on garden equipment when the motor on my older little compressor died (the HF was much cheaper than fixing the motor on the other), but before that I`ve only had two-stage oil-lubed ones. The oil-less HF is better than nothing (and better than a foot pump) but it`s like a toy compared to the others I`ve had.

The one that died dated from the 1930s, and even though the motor`s dead, the compressor part of it still works fine and I`ll eventually get it fixed. It`s *THAT* much better than the oil-less HF. But again, if somebody doesn`t have any compressor, the HF is better than nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Ill 3rd the HF Oil compressor. LOVE IT. Works great with my Tornador Black
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information