Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Watches.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Still wearing/loving my Submariner, which I`ve had since `78, haven`t worn my Tudor backup since, gee....maybe the mid-90s.

I`m the same way about my wedding band, can`t stand the feel of wearing a ring so it`s basically just a special occasion accessory. Don`t mind my watch, but I still wear it so little that it runs down now and then.

I gather that cell phones are kinda replacing watches for a lot of people. Doesn`t seem as convenient as glancing at one`s wrist, but then some folks seem to check their phones pretty often anyhow.
    A 70’s Sub— nice!

Do you want to sell that Tudor?

Post Thanks / Like

The 1680 Sub keeps on rising in value too.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Seiko Kinetic watch a couple years ago a friend gave to me. He couldn`t keep the capacitor charged and he gave it to me. I had it for a few years and 2 years ago The capacity wouldn`t take charge. I bought the kit to replace it but the seller wouldn`t admit to selling me just a plain old battery. Instead of sending it in I just bought a new Citizen Eco-drive in black. Great watch but the bad thing the black band is wearing the black off in spots. Just short of 2 1/2 years and it is still going strong. Only own the one watch. I wanted another Seiko but think they are a little too expensive for me. Got a good deal on the Citizen at over 50% when I bought it.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Same thing happened to my old seiko kinetic. I had to chuck it.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m a watch guy. Have a few and wear them in spurts. Like a few years at a time. Really like the iwatch functionality with my iPhone but battery life isn’t always a day for me. I work a long day. .

Love my automatics and mine have been accurate. They get factory service every 3-5 years when they begin to loose time.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve got a dozen or so of Seiko watches, from cheap to expensive (not Rolex expensive). I haven’t had any of the Kenetic versions die yet. I bought an automatic winder that cost way too much for what it does, but shaking them all the time was a pita. My wife bought me a Apple watch and I dutifully wear it. I hate the band though. It always takes me extra time to snap it on. Not designed the best or I’m just clumsy. Watches are “man jewelry”.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Same thing happened to my old seiko kinetic. I had to chuck it.
    Seiko makes great watches. The kinetic isn’t one of them. I don’t know what they were thinking with that pos.

They’ve hit a lot of home runs the past few years. The Turtle,Samurai,the Grand Seikos come to mind.Tough to find a better watch for the money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    The 1680 Sub keeps on rising in value too.
    The Tudors,too.

Post Thanks / Like

Wife picked me up a Tissot T-touch titanium carbon fiber for our anniversary. Love it!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

On a related subject to wedding rings and watches, most manufacturing production and assembly areas require the removal of all hand and wrist jewelry for safety reasons. I`ve seen photos of individuals who have had their finger damaged from getting their ring caught by moving pieces of equipment. I got reminded of this when taking field measurements on a machine for engineering purposes in a wrapping paper production facility. They were NOT happy with me, and I just plain forgot to do this as a regular safety procedure. It does affect their insurance rates and safety records are not only a source of pride to many companies, they affect the bottom line as well.
    I`ve had this "discussion" with adult men`s basketball players in a local rec league I referee at to remove their Fitbit and other such data-collection watches and wedding bands before they play the game. I was SEVERLY reprimanded and chided by players for this request. When pointing out it was a safety and liability issue to other players, the rec department supervisor suggested I ASK the opposing team players if it is OK for the other team players if they wear such watches or rings. If they object to such, they must be removed or the player with such jewelry is not allowed into the game. EVERYONE with data-collection watches has been allowed to play, as this seems to be the acceptable (and almost necessary) sports trend these days. Wedding rings come under the subject, "My wife says NO, you go ask her about it". Point well taken about a women`s scorn!

Related to this, I remove my watch and wedding band (if I can get it off my water-retaining swollen finger) when detailing a vehicle. I do not wish to induce unnecessary scratches regardless of who`s vehicle it is. I am trying to remove or mitigate scratches, not create them!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    On a related subject to wedding rings and watches, most manufacturing production and assembly areas require the removal of all hand and wrist jewelry for safety reasons. I`ve seen photos of individuals who have had their finger damaged from getting their ring caught by moving pieces of equipment. I got reminded of this when taking field measurements on a machine for engineering purposes in a wrapping paper production facility. They were NOT happy with me, and I just plain forgot to do this as a regular safety procedure. It does affect their insurance rates and safety records are not only a source of pride to many companies, they affect the bottom line as well.
    I`ve had this "discussion" with adult men`s basketball players in a local rec league I referee at to remove their Fitbit and other such data-collection watches and wedding bands before they play the game. I was SEVERLY reprimanded and chided by players for this request. When pointing out it was a safety and liability issue to other players, the rec department supervisor suggested I ASK the opposing team players if it is OK for the other team players if they wear such watches or rings. If they object to such, they must be removed or the player with such jewelry is not allowed into the game. EVERYONE with data-collection watches has been allowed to play, as this seems to be the acceptable (and almost necessary) sports trend these days. Wedding rings come under the subject, "My wife says NO, you go ask her about it". Point well taken about a women`s scorn!

Related to this, I remove my watch and wedding band (if I can get it off my water-retaining swollen finger) when detailing a vehicle. I do not wish to induce unnecessary scratches regardless of who`s vehicle it is. I am trying to remove or mitigate scratches, not create them!!
    I stopped wearing my wedding band 2 weeks after my wife and I got married. At the time I was working full-time at my MMA school- teaching classes all day and training and I could never wear the ring because when you are grappling, holding mitts etc. it can do some damage to yourself or others. Plenty of stories of people breaking fingers due to wearing rings and its not a pretty. They then have to be cut off as the finger literally swells around them. My ring sits in our safety deposit box with some of those unworn watches lol. I have the fat fingers issue going on too.

I am surprised that people would be upset by you asking them to take off fitbits and rings while playing a sport like basketball. I can just imagine all the injuries that could potentially occur because of these items. If they asked their wives if they would rather have a broken finger and be unable to help with the kids or around the house vs. taking their wedding bands off for a few hours you would think they would tell em take it off. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

I like mechanicals as well. I have an Omega Seamaster Professional that I bought in 2005. It`s the same watch James Bond wears in some the movies.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    I am surprised that people would be upset by you asking them to take off fitbits and rings while playing a sport like basketball. I can just imagine all the injuries that could potentially occur because of these items. If they asked their wives if they would rather have a broken finger and be unable to help with the kids or around the house vs. taking their wedding bands off for a few hours you would think they would tell em take it off. Lol
    I`m surprised too. Whenever I played rec-league sports the published rules clearly stated all jewlery like watches, bracelets, neckleses, and earings were to be removed. It wasn`t optional. For those people who couldn`t remove items, they were heavily taped and the ref had to approve before the person could play.

Has anyone see the rubber wedding bands on the market?

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, I`m never selling either the Sub or the Tudor (mine`s the one somewhat similar to a Cosmograph, perfect backup for me) and have zero idea about the values of such stuff. The Sub is, uhm....experienced... anyhow and having it restored would kill the magic for me.

Much as I love those things, my wife wouldn`t have a Rolex if I gave it to her (literally) and has zero interest in stuff like mechanical watches (though her formal one has a Patek movement and she sure likes that one just fine ).

RaydiantDetail & Lonnie- Yeah, the reasons you mentioned came to my attention the first time I tried certain activities with a ring on, "Quae Nocent Docent" as they say.

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information