Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Watches.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Watches.

Gee, sounds like another case of "no free lunch".

This thread reminds me...I have a Swiss Army desk clock that`s basically just a kinda-big quartz watch in a little stand. Gotta find somebody to replace its battery some day, the local places couldn`t figure out how to open it...which sure surprised me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Are you talking about the Kinetic (self-"winding") or the solar?
    Both. I`ve had 3 Kinetics fail and 1 solar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Can a regular jeweler service them or does the watch have to be shipped out for replacement?
    If I can do it, a jewler can do it, just depends on how confident they feel. Instead of a single screw or a tab that lifts up for a battery, you have to take apart a few other parts to get the cap out. Its a 15 minute job on most watches.

Post Thanks / Like

OK thanks. I’d try it myself if I had one since I do my own battery changes too. That is, unless the caps are hard to obtain
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Both. I`ve had 3 Kinetics fail and 1 solar.
    Eesh.

Post Thanks / Like

All watches fail eventually, even quartz ones. Last week I had an 18 year old one just not work any more even after putting two new batteries in it. I guess it could be the coil. I have even replaced a quartz movement on one of my watches but this one wasn’t worth it even though they don’t make it any more.

Post Thanks / Like

Very true, all of them eventually fail, though IMO the longest running are the cheap mechanicals like the Seiko 5, 15-25 years before opening them up is the norm. I like the Seiko perpetual calendar watches that they we selling about a decade ago, they came with massive batteries that went 10 years before needing to crack them open. They really were a set it and forget it watch.

Post Thanks / Like

Reminds of my garage door openers, took ten years before needing replacement and when they did, they require three batteries
    Likes Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just a reminder: Baselworld is on tomorrow! I can’t wait to see the new watches!

Post Thanks / Like

They promise to never need a battery replacement, and that is very accurate! But they absolutely need a capacitor replacement about every 10-15 years. It costs about $25 for the part vs two or three batteries during that time which might cost a total of $10 for all three. Its also a lot more work to replace that cap.
    I think for many watch nerds though, what`s so cool about the Kinetic is that you are getting an automatic movement plus quartz accuracy. And for many that alone outweighs $25 every 15 years vs. $10 over the same time.
    2022 VW Atlas - White (FK1000P)
    2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with the 5.7L - Pretty Much Maroon
    (FK1000P)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FIDOAG14 View Post
    I think for many watch nerds though, what`s so cool about the Kinetic is that you are getting an automatic movement plus quartz accuracy. And for many that alone outweighs $25 every 15 years vs. $10 over the same time.
    Agree, I got suckered into it multiple times! Having taken my lumps though, I just go with a true automatic now.

Post Thanks / Like

If I can do it, a jewler can do it, just depends on how confident they feel. Instead of a single screw or a tab that lifts up for a battery, you have to take apart a few other parts to get the cap out. Its a 15 minute job on most watches.
    Dan, this sounds like a career or part time service job opportunity. Finding competent service for watches of this nature that are more family heirloom or have a sentimental value more-so than a time-keeping element to them might make you a highly-sought-after individual.

Kind of like finding someone to fix my older Hewlett-Packard calculators. But that is another thread subject from someone who worked (past tense) in the mechanical engineering field...... Watches appeal to everyone.

Speaking of watches in a vehicle detailing forum, it is "interesting` to see car magazines (AutoWeek and Automobile) run yearly articles on high-end watches. Apparently "nicer" cars are not the only mechanical devices that appeal to car-loving individuals, with the prices exceeding that of brand-new "pedestrian" cars in some cases. I cannot afford either, but it is nice to dream (or fanaticize).

And my watch of choice? A Casio DW-56000E G-Shock (someone posted a pic of such a watch in a previous reply in this thread). I had to smile. I am on my 4th one because for the price of sending back to the factory to have a battery replaced AND guarantee that it is waterproof, it is just as "economic" to buy a new one. At least the battery is suppose to last 10-years in the latest one I now wear. The older ones were about 3-4 years, depending on how often you used the light. It is SUCH a virtually indestructible watch that I end up having the plastic protective casing falling off from catching it on some thing. Yes, I remove my watch and wedding band (if I can get it off my fat water-retaining finger!) when I wash or detail cars .... wait, that is exactly what I said in Post #25!!!
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, IMO a lot of the same people who buy pricey cars for, uhm...reasons other than mine...buy pricey watches for the same reasons

And heh heh#2, I`d sure hate to try actually *telling time* with some pricey watches! Not exactly what I`d deem functional..

I hardly ever wear my wedding band, it bothers me when doing some things and can even compromise my performance...including situations where there won`t be time to take off jewelry. I can`t even drive to-spec with it on. Accumulatorette doesn`t wear a wedding ring around the house either, but having it on doesn`t impact her the way it does me.

One of my in-laws has a rubber wedding band that he wears at work, wonder if anybody here does that..

I don`t really like wearing a watch, but at least it doesn`t impact my skillset. I must be wearing it more often these days as I haven`t had to wind it for a while, but I sure don`t wear it when doing any kind of chores, it`d just bother me too much. Given all the abuse it takes as it is, that`s probably for the best.

I can`t for the life of me understand how my wife can wear a watch when she lifts. Cardio maybe, but not lifting...it`d drive me nuts, but it doesn`t bother her at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I’d pretty much feel naked without a watch. Only time I don’t wear one is basically to detail. Different strokes....

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie, I guess that might be a good opportunity, but it wouldn`t be something I loved to do, actually the opposite. I`m blessed to work in a career I absolutely love and only fix my own things out of frustration with the service industry as a whole. There are absolutely exceptions, but as you say, they are getting harder and harder to find.

And I`m with you on the G-shock, its the Toyota or Honda of watches, can`t kill it!
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information