Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Watches.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Watches.

I’m going to monitor the offerings from Seiko and Citizen to see if any strike my fancy. That’s how I bought my Seiko Kinetic that one time. I don’t think I’ve ever owned a Citizen.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 8 Sieko`s including my father`s old gold nugget one, and an automatic one. (I got all of the Sieko`s from my father)
    3 Citizen Eco Drives, including a Perpetual Calendar that I really like
    2 automatic Movados
    an automatic Jermone LaMars
    an automatic Grayton Diplomat
    a Eone Bradley
    2 Tissot MotoGP (2007 and 2018)
    a Tag Heur Carrera Tiger Woods

Next is a the Tag Heur Senna Chronograph..

My dream is a rose gold Rolex Yatch Master II

Post Thanks / Like

Nice collection you have there! I’m definitely gonna take a look at that Citizen Eco Drive

My grail is probably a classic gold Day-Date

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Yeah, over-restoring *ANYTHING* is a mistake IMO, especially when it`s just part of the, uhm....Measuring Contest Mentality. Figures that [an individual] like Madoff would do it.

Dan- Oh man, I *bet* you were livid!

Your take on a Daily Watch sounds so much like my wife`s! Hey, it`s whatever makes the experience right for *you* that counts

Similarly, one thing I do love about my Sub is that it (now) always works. Period. Might not keep time like it oughta, never did since new, but it *works* in a way that whispers "hard to kill" to me and I like that. Even when the crystal was really busted and the movement was undoubtedly full of [crap], it kept running, and the whole Mechanical Watch thing (all those finely-fitted parts always moving, working in concert) somehow just does it for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I did seriously toy with getting an exhibition-back Reverso, but finally decided it`d just sit in the safe and that would bug me even more than my undriven Garage Queens.

Heh heh, I`m weirdly disinclined to wear any kind of (yellow or rose) gold anything, simply never do it.

Todd@Rupes- That is indeed a nice batch of watches, and IMO it`s just *so* great that you have your Dad`s watches!

Post Thanks / Like

Watches.

It’s hard to totally kill a Rolex especially in your case when they were ( even more) made pretty much entirely by hand.

I have my grandfather’s gold manual watch that never leaves the watch box. That’s another one that needs servicing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I’m going to monitor the offerings from Seiko and Citizen to see if any strike my fancy. That’s how I bought my Seiko Kinetic that one time. I don’t think I’ve ever owned a Citizen.
    Be sure to check out Orient as well. I believe it is owned by Seiko.

Post Thanks / Like

Watches.

Oh yeah, I remember Orient. I will take a look

Hmm. If I didn’t already have my moonphase watch, I’d be interested in the kind they offer.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Hope you get your grandfather`s watch up and running...and in use. Like I should talk with my heirloom watches just sitting in the safe

Post Thanks / Like

The watch could also use a nice leather strap. I was looking into a black alligator one for it. I ought to look into this. I never knew my grandfather and the watch would serve as a connection to him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I`m really not a watch guy, the Seiko on my wrist today and every day I bought over 30 years ago, and the only problem I`ve had with it was when they screwed up the gasket when I was getting the battery changed, and it would fog up inside when I was washing my hands. Which caused me to buy a wrench and a pack of the correct gaskets and now I change the battery myself.

That`s why I was intrigued with the Seiko`s (and I guess Citizens as well, since they are the same company) that are solar powered--the promise of never having to disturb the seal. Of course maybe I`m being naive thinking that everyone likes/wants a waterproof watch.

Post Thanks / Like

Setec Astronomy- Yeah, my wife has had her watches trashed during battery replacement, just got a new one (that she doesn`t like as well) because it happened again.

Heh heh, other than formal wear, I`d sure think any watch oughta be at least water resistant, if not truly water proof...wrists tend to get wet IRL. Well, at least in *my* real life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That`s why I was intrigued with the Seiko`s (and I guess Citizens as well, since they are the same company) that are solar powered--the promise of never having to disturb the seal. Of course maybe I`m being naive thinking that everyone likes/wants a waterproof watch.
    They promise to never need a battery replacement, and that is very accurate! But they absolutely need a capacitor replacement about every 10-15 years. It costs about $25 for the part vs two or three batteries during that time which might cost a total of $10 for all three. Its also a lot more work to replace that cap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    They promise to never need a battery replacement, and that is very accurate! But they absolutely need a capacitor replacement about every 10-15 years. It costs about $25 for the part vs two or three batteries during that time which might cost a total of $10 for all three. Its also a lot more work to replace that cap.
    Are you talking about the Kinetic (self-"winding") or the solar?

Post Thanks / Like

Can a regular jeweler service them or does the watch have to be shipped out for replacement?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information