Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Watches.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I had a Seiko Kinetic once (Do they still make them?). Eventually it died though. Wasn’t worth a fix to me.

I just saw a non working one exactly like the one I had for sale for $30 for parts.
    Yes they still make kinetics. The problem is the capacitors in them last about twice as long as a battery powered watch and are ten times more expensive to replace. I`ve replaced a couple myself after buying parts on eBay. Seiko and Citizen solar suffer from the exact same issue.

Seiko automatics easily go a quarter century without service.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet you are a fan of Grand Seiko. Some say it surpasses Rolex.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Seiko makes some good basic watches. Wearing an SKX as I type this, and have a couple other Seiko. I decided that I wanted one of the new limited edition blue alpinists, but I seem to have missed the boat. Hard to find now without paying a premium to a reseller.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Seiko Kinetic once (Do they still make them?). Eventually it died though. Wasn’t worth a fix to me.
    They have some solar ones now that have intrigued me. I guess if this thread didn`t bring Spilchy back, nothing will, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

He’s gone but not forgotten.

Post Thanks / Like

I bet the whole assembly that holds the stem in place was repaired. Hate to go to change the time and have the whole thing pull out in your hand.
    That "pull out.." went on for ages, until the mid-`90s. They`d fix it and it`d promptly pull out again. After a few months/years it wouldn`t go back in and then they`d open it up (again). They finally came up with a retrofit that would hold up, been OK ever since.

On the "not servicing..." the Rolex guy who worked on it last said his hadn`t been open for well over a decade and that he had no intention of ever doing it unless something was really wrong. He encouraged me to *not* have it serviced unless I had to, perhaps because it`d already been torn down so many times.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I wouldn’t service it unless it starts acting wacky. My chronograph would keep time, stop, then run again hours later. Sometimes it would run for a few hours then just stop so it definitely needed a service. It got a complete break down, cleaning, re oiling, and needed a new barrel. I just paid the service bill and all is now fine again.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a $33 digital timex,,had to get a new one about 4 years ago,,,,my arm wasn`t long enough to read the time with out glasses so I needed bigger Numbers lol. Dont know what ill do when I can`t read this watch,,,,maybe by then "Jitterbug" lol will make one...

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I wouldn’t service it unless it starts acting wacky. My chronograph would keep time, stop, then run again hours later. Sometimes it would run for a few hours then just stop so it definitely needed a service. It got a complete break down, cleaning, re oiling, and needed a new barrel. I just paid the service bill and all is now fine again.
    My Seamaster is doing something similar. Stops and needs a thump or a ton more winding to get it going. I hate blowing $100+ on a cleaning when a new Seiko costs that much.

Post Thanks / Like

I just paid $132 for mine. Otherwise I would just have a fancy paperweight. I’m assuming I’m good to go for another 6 years.

If you want to hear a horror story, it cost $900 to service my Mom’s Datejust. Just sinful, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

I just paid $132 for mine. Otherwise I would just have a fancy paperweight. I’m assuming I’m good to go for another 6 years.

If you want to hear a horror story, it cost $900 to service my Mom’s Datejust. Just sinful, eh?
    $900!?!? Ouch.

What`s a good active forum for buying and selling watches these days?

Post Thanks / Like

Chrono24 is one I can think of.
    Thanks Dan thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, that would`ve been a bargain for what mine needed that last time (incl. the retrofit regarding the stem). Would`ve been even worse had I let them replace the (faded) face of it but to me that`s more of that patina I cherish (hey, this watch and I have had some experiences together, I hated that they had to replace the crystal once).

Mine has never actually quit, not even intermittently, just got behind more than I could tolerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan
    I hate blowing $100+ on a cleaning when a new Seiko costs that much.
    BUT...would you enjoy the Seiko as much? This is like the cost of maintaining an old car/house/etc., it can easily exceed the cost of a replacement, but there are some things you can`t buy for any amount of money, and sometimes a [given object] is just one of those.

OTOH, my wife has little problem just replacing her daily-wear watch every so often. Had *zero* interest in my getting her a "good" one, literally wouldn`t take a Rolex if I gave it to her. Her criteria for a watch are simply different from mine so, well...OK.

Post Thanks / Like

It’s really good you didn’t let them replace the dial. It would’ve destroyed the originality/value of watch (understanding you’d never sell it any way)

Bernie Madoff was known for over restoring his Rolexes,ultimately actually making them less valuable. One of his watches appeared on Pawn Stars a while back.

Yes, repairs can exceed the $900 for sure. That was just a run of the mill servicing. When excessive parts need to be replaced, the cost skyrockets. Eek!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    BUT...would you enjoy the Seiko as much? This is like the cost of maintaining an old car/house/etc., it can easily exceed the cost of a replacement, but there are some things you can`t buy for any amount of money, and sometimes a [given object] is just one of those.
    I actually enjoy my Seikos more than my more expensive watches! I can wear them without a care and I know they will work without any servicing. I have frequently thought about selling the expensive watches because of that, but I seem to have some sort of sentimental attachment to them.

That reminds me, one time I had my Seamaster serviced by an indy and he took it upon himself to polish the bracelet clasp to a mirror finish, it was previously brushed. I was LIVID.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread Information