Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

For those detailing in Garage...

For those of you who detail professionally/ part time out of your home garage do you have some sort of air filtration system to help reduce or eliminate dust.

I ask because I mostly detail from my garage but find in my area in GA that even with the garage door down over night I end up getting a layer of dust on the car. This is generally more of a pain when I am applying a coating as I of course want the surface to be as dust free as possible and then I either have to rinseless wash or wash the car again. This is especially bad when pollen season hits.

Other than air filtration system my only other option I can think of is a car cover or cover the car in plastic overnight.

Has anyone found or use a good air filtration system in their garages?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For those detailing in Garage...

I don’t think any type of filtration will keep 100% of dust off of your projects. I lived in ATL for many years and the pollen can be horrible and it gets everywhere quickly. You are probably fighting a losing battle trying to keep dust/pollen off vehicles overnight. I would just continue to wipedown the vehicle prior to coating, it not that time consuming. I used a car cover in my garage for my Z, but I would still find dust on my car. It’s everywhere.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I don’t think any type of filtration will keep 100% of dust off of your projects. I lived in ATL for many years and the pollen can be horrible and it gets everywhere quickly. You are probably fighting a losing battle trying to keep dust/pollen off vehicles overnight. I would just continue to wipedown the vehicle prior to coating, it not that time consuming. I used a car cover in my garage for my Z, but I would still find dust on my car. It’s everywhere.
    That is what I figured but thought I would ask. It`s not much of a question of the time as it is that I have spent so much time correcting a vehicle to potentially induce scratches etc is what I was trying to reduce. Its crazy how much crap I find on the car the next day even with the garage door and windows closed. Pollen season is the worst.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe get a car bubble

Post Thanks / Like

Having something over bare cement (paint, epoxy) can help with dusting. Pollen is another animal.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

The big question is how well is your garage insulated and sealed up ?
    Do you have that set of long, rigid, plastic pieces that go outside on the edges where the door meets the door frame, to slow down the amount of air getting in through those open areas?
    Is there a rubber seal on the bottom of the garage door to seal it when it is down?
    Is your garage ceiling drywalled ?
    Walls insulated and drywalled?
    The more air "leaks" you eliminate in your garage, the cleaner it will stay..
    Dan F
    Likes Leadfootluke, Never Enuff, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is nicely finished including the floor and ceiling, the doors are sealed decently, etc. etc. Pretty much overkilled it for a "home detailing garage" and I`ve worked at keeping it clean in the 18 years since then. For the first few years I ran a number of Air Cleaning Devices but finally decided they were just a waste of electricity and maintenance effort. The dust/etc. are maybe a little worse without those, but not enough for me to go back to them.

BUT...I can certainly understand somebody wanting/needing to do something serious about this. Sigh, bet it`d cost some pretty serious $ though.

I gotta say that with all the considerations I factored in during the construction, and all the effort I put into keeping it clean, it`s a lot dirtier than I`d like. So when I`m mid-detail and think it`s appropriate, I`ll at least lay some (paint-safe) towels down over whatever I`m working on before quitting for the day.

In a Perfect World I could keep my shop just as spotless and dust-free as I`d like, but I know when to say "when".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by showbbq View Post
    Maybe get a car bubble
    Sadly no space for a car bubble. My garage is 20 x 20 but the ceiling is only about 8ft. My next home I hope to have more space because I would love a car bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by jatleson View Post
    Having something over bare cement (paint, epoxy) can help with dusting. Pollen is another animal.
    That is something I have been meaning to do in the near future. The current epoxy floor which I think the previous owners used the DIY rustoleum type kit is pretty much gone but remnants still remain in lower traffic areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    The big question is how well is your garage insulated and sealed up ?
    Do you have that set of long, rigid, plastic pieces that go outside on the edges where the door meets the door frame, to slow down the amount of air getting in through those open areas?
    Is there a rubber seal on the bottom of the garage door to seal it when it is down?
    Is your garage ceiling drywalled ?
    Walls insulated and drywalled?
    The more air "leaks" you eliminate in your garage, the cleaner it will stay..
    Dan F
    Garage ceiling and walls are dry walled. Not sure they are insulated. My plan was always to tear down all the dry wall and do insulation and then re-drywall etc. However recently changes in finances have made me put those plans on hold. Lots of money being diverted to our other business and children lol. You bring up some great points though. I do probably need to go around and do some cheap fixes where there are cracks and holes in the walls in many areas. The previous owners really beat the garage up.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Mine is nicely finished including the floor and ceiling, the doors are sealed decently, etc. etc. Pretty much overkilled it for a "home detailing garage" and I`ve worked at keeping it clean in the 18 years since then. For the first few years I ran a number of Air Cleaning Devices but finally decided they were just a waste of electricity and maintenance effort. The dust/etc. are maybe a little worse without those, but not enough for me to go back to them.

BUT...I can certainly understand somebody wanting/needing to do something serious about this. Sigh, bet it`d cost some pretty serious $ though.

I gotta say that with all the considerations I factored in during the construction, and all the effort I put into keeping it clean, it`s a lot dirtier than I`d like. So when I`m mid-detail and think it`s appropriate, I`ll at least lay some (paint-safe) towels down over whatever I`m working on before quitting for the day.

In a Perfect World I could keep my shop just as spotless and dust-free as I`d like, but I know when to say "when".
    Well good feedback on the air cleaning devices. I have researched and read about folks using the ones they use in woodshops to help filter the air and thought they may be a good option but I would have to run 2 of them to really make a different and I guess yes the electricity costs may not be worth it or id factor into my detailing expenses when doing corrections/ coating jobs.

Honestly my garage is nowhere near the level I want it at. Walls and ceiling are in horrible shape. Holes and peeling plaster on the ceiling that I need to scrape off and re-mud etc. Sadly these days I dont have the time and the skill it would require to do a great/quick job or maybe that is not a possibility anyway. Don`t have the money to hire someone to do it. lol looks like ill keep doing what I am doing and deal with it.

Post Thanks / Like

RaydiantDetail- Yeah, that sounds like my previous shop...cool old Historic building but there was no way to ever have it be a truly perfect Detailing environment. Oh well, we do the best we can and you just have to pick your battles.

Post Thanks / Like

You could try green garage door hinges, I think blow through at those doors is the biggest contributor to dust in any garage. I am going to try them before next winter just to help with sealing up for heat retention.

Green Hinge System - Spring Loaded Garage Door Hinges To Seal Side Gaps While Saving Money and Energy

WOW THATS A LOT BIGGER THEN I THOUGH IT WAS, LINKED PIC FROM THERE WEB PAGE
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

So, I blow out my garage regularly with an electric leaf blower.

When I go full bore on a detail I used to wash after the polishing stage, and at that point I blew out the garage again. That was the M105 dust fest detail days.

Now I don`t find the 2nd wash necessary and a wipe down with an IPA mix sets up the car for success.

If you are using Menzerna polishes which I love I would re wash only because they are oily.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    RaydiantDetail- Yeah, that sounds like my previous shop...cool old Historic building but there was no way to ever have it be a truly perfect Detailing environment. Oh well, we do the best we can and you just have to pick your battles.
    i have been looking at potential permanent shop spaces in the Atlanta area. I found one i really like which is pretty much move in ready and the rent and location is not bad. My goal was in the next few years once the other business takes off that I would love to switch to doing this full time. Detailing, Paint Correction, Coatings, PPF/ Vinyl Wraps, Dent removal, Aftermarket car parts (Exhausts/ Wheels) etc. Its always been a goal but of course everything has to line up for me to leave my full time gig.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    You could try green garage door hinges, I think blow through at those doors is the biggest contributor to dust in any garage. I am going to try them before next winter just to help with sealing up for heat retention.

Green Hinge System - Spring Loaded Garage Door Hinges To Seal Side Gaps While Saving Money and Energy

WOW THATS A LOT BIGGER THEN I THOUGH IT WAS, LINKED PIC FROM THERE WEB PAGE
    This looks interesting!

Oh yeah forgot to mention the other day my wife accidentally ran in to the garage door and dented it which means I need to now replace the garage door ugh. Luckily it was slow so no damage to her or the family and the car. Of course that is not helping with the dusting situation as there is more of a gap now as she hit it pretty much right below the two sections meet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    So, I blow out my garage regularly with an electric leaf blower.

When I go full bore on a detail I used to wash after the polishing stage, and at that point I blew out the garage again. That was the M105 dust fest detail days.

Now I don`t find the 2nd wash necessary and a wipe down with an IPA mix sets up the car for success.

If you are using Menzerna polishes which I love I would re wash only because they are oily.
    hey JSFM35X. I use mostly Boss, Sonax, and Scholl polishes. I will usually do the wipedowns/washes after heavy compounding if there is a lot of dust. Its more the issue arises after the compounding/ polishing and lets say the car is sitting over night prior to coating application the next day. Usually there is dust and other stuff sitting on the car when I come out to the garage in the morning that I pretty much have to do a rinseless/ waterless wash to remove. Again. its not a huge head ache but again touching the car in that way after I have spent hours upon hours to do correction work to potentially mar the paint in anyway even using the safest wash techniques is my concern.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    ..lets say the car is sitting over night prior to coating application the next day. Usually there is dust and other stuff sitting on the car when I come out to the garage in the morning that I pretty much have to do a rinseless/ waterless wash to remove. Again. its not a huge head ache but ...
    What about putting towels/etc. over it? I have a bunch of `em all over the horizontal surfaces of the `93 Audi right now as I`m (really) taking my time reLSPing it. Started doing that back at the previous shop where there was no way to get/keep the (nice looking) exposed rafters clean.

Rather than blow out the garage with air, which in my case might (presumably) stir up something, I wash or at least rinse the floor pretty often in some parts of the shop.

When looking for a dedicated Detailing building, I`d give some thought to floor drains, which aren`t all that common these days what with environmental concerns (I had to have mine plumbed into an oil separator at both the old shop and the current one here at the house). Surprised me that I had to have it done at the old one, which had been a Ford dealership, but the building code had changed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information