Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: For those detailing in Garage...

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    You could try green garage door hinges, I think blow through at those doors is the biggest contributor to dust in any garage. I am going to try them before next winter just to help with sealing up for heat retention.

Green Hinge System - Spring Loaded Garage Door Hinges To Seal Side Gaps While Saving Money and Energy

WOW THATS A LOT BIGGER THEN I THOUGH IT WAS, LINKED PIC FROM THERE WEB PAGE
    Hey, I actually KNOW the inventor of this spring-loaded garage door hinge. It does work as advertised, and is especially efficient at sealing out cold winter drafts.
    BUT, I also have a brother-in-law who professionally installed (now retired due to heath issues) garage doors and said they cause seals to wear out much faster and are extremely hard on lift motors and chains and guide roller bearings due to the increased drag from the spring-loading. His company will not install them and it voids all warranties on doors and motors if they are found on any doors or lifts they have installed if these spring-loaded hinges are installed by the owner or a third-party contractor.

I guess, pick your poison: better sealing or reduced door seal and lift motor life.
    GB detailer
    Thanks trashmanssd, Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    I really like your idea about going to the local high end body shops. I never thought of that. My personal car needs to be dialed in a bit before I do that though. Hehe.
    RaydiantDetail --
    Thanks for your reply !
    You want to find the highest end Foreign and German Car Repair Shops...

Here is how it worked for me, when I got hired by this awesome shop in Issaquah, WA, right down the street from the Costco Headquarters Campus, where everyone drives German Cars..

The Clients bring in their expensive Baby for whatever maintenance, etc...

The greatest guys alive, at the front desk, tell them, its going to be X day/s and would they like to get their Baby Professionally Detailed while they have it?
    They knew how long I usually needed, factored it in, the mechanics were really fast so I had a nice cushion of time to do my part..

Park it in middle of the huge all- glass 3-car sized Detailing Studio I made, with all the lights on, when I am finished..

Bring Client in, they see their Baby looking so good under all those lights, no defects, perfectly clear, glossy paint, perfectly Detailed Interior, engine, compartment, trunk, etc..
    They immediately say - "that is NOT my car!" And it always is..

Client is now in love again with their Renewed Baby, and they come back again and again, to get this done...
    Dan F
    Likes RaydiantDetail, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks RaydiantDetail thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dan talked about paintshop. Most of them work in an over air pressured environment. So if you where to experiment with ventilation I would ad an incoming air vent which is filtered of course. Then the airbourne dust would be pressured down and not sucked up and try to find it`s way out. Know this is not easy to dial in but think a pro that works with ventilation could measure what kind of vents is needed. With the right over pressure I think it will hold out the pollen and other things from coming in too. It`s important to have the garage as air shield as possible. Cause it would be enough of air coming out in those places it does. The garage doors and the windows is the biggest areas where air comes through even when closed. And it should not be fully air tight either then you would have to ad a smaller out going vent or just a venting hole lol. Be carefull to not make your garages to air tight cause if you are working with coatings you don`t want to have to much of the fumes from them in your system.

To handle dust general painted surfaces is to prefer. So the dust not cling as easly to the roof and walls and floors. A new coat of paint to those parts that could be wet can do wonders to help you have them clean. A damp cloth on a polestick would make it easy to get the dust out of the garage. And the cleaning would be easier to do too.

If you already have air vents you can check with a candle or a lighter. And hold it close to them and see what way the air goes. If the flame goes inwards to the garage a filter could help some of the outside dust to stay away. And you can check around the garage where the flame is affected the most. Then adress those parts that is least air tights in some way. This is both for the dusting problems and the temperature and insulation.

Hope my translation is somewhat okey. It`s way I write alot of text and hope something sticks LOL

/Tony
    Likes Stokdgs, RaydiantDetail liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, RaydiantDetail thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I haven`t noticed any real dust issues in my garage. It`s insulated and sealed well though and I clean the floor regularly. I also try not to generate any dust while polishing and I blow my pads out the side door rather then in the garage. I often leave cars overnight and come back the next morning to apply the coating. I`ll blow them off with the master blaster for any light dust, clean the floor quick, then do my wipe down on the paint and coat it.

I`ve started doing PPF now too so I`m even more critical about being dust free in the garage.
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post
    Thanks RaydiantDetail thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    RaydiantDetail --
    Thanks for your reply !
    You want to find the highest end Foreign and German Car Repair Shops...

Here is how it worked for me, when I got hired by this awesome shop in Issaquah, WA, right down the street from the Costco Headquarters Campus, where everyone drives German Cars..

The Clients bring in their expensive Baby for whatever maintenance, etc...

The greatest guys alive, at the front desk, tell them, its going to be X day/s and would they like to get their Baby Professionally Detailed while they have it?
    They knew how long I usually needed, factored it in, the mechanics were really fast so I had a nice cushion of time to do my part..

Park it in middle of the huge all- glass 3-car sized Detailing Studio I made, with all the lights on, when I am finished..

Bring Client in, they see their Baby looking so good under all those lights, no defects, perfectly clear, glossy paint, perfectly Detailed Interior, engine, compartment, trunk, etc..
    They immediately say - "that is NOT my car!" And it always is..

Client is now in love again with their Renewed Baby, and they come back again and again, to get this done...
    Dan F

Ahh thank you for correcting my misread on the high end car repair shops. Just so has it I have a high end German repair shop not too far from my home. I just need to get my BMW dialed in nicely so I can take it there and show it off a bit. I really like this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Dan talked about paintshop. Most of them work in an over air pressured environment. So if you where to experiment with ventilation I would ad an incoming air vent which is filtered of course. Then the airbourne dust would be pressured down and not sucked up and try to find it`s way out. Know this is not easy to dial in but think a pro that works with ventilation could measure what kind of vents is needed. With the right over pressure I think it will hold out the pollen and other things from coming in too. It`s important to have the garage as air shield as possible. Cause it would be enough of air coming out in those places it does. The garage doors and the windows is the biggest areas where air comes through even when closed. And it should not be fully air tight either then you would have to ad a smaller out going vent or just a venting hole lol. Be carefull to not make your garages to air tight cause if you are working with coatings you don`t want to have to much of the fumes from them in your system.

To handle dust general painted surfaces is to prefer. So the dust not cling as easly to the roof and walls and floors. A new coat of paint to those parts that could be wet can do wonders to help you have them clean. A damp cloth on a polestick would make it easy to get the dust out of the garage. And the cleaning would be easier to do too.

If you already have air vents you can check with a candle or a lighter. And hold it close to them and see what way the air goes. If the flame goes inwards to the garage a filter could help some of the outside dust to stay away. And you can check around the garage where the flame is affected the most. Then adress those parts that is least air tights in some way. This is both for the dusting problems and the temperature and insulation.

Hope my translation is somewhat okey. It`s way I write alot of text and hope something sticks LOL

/Tony
    Thanks for the response! Currently there is no real ventilation in the garage except the 2 windows and garage door of which I usually keep closed while I`m working unless it gets so hot and stuffy which is usually the case in the summer here so I`ll lift the garage up a bit to let in some air before I pass out. I have been thinking about adding a garage fan or even AC but I really would want to insulate it properly and paint as well.

Agreed on not wanting it air tight while applying coatings I wear a painter`s mask but usually by the end of the process it`s off because it`s so hot and my glasses fog up.

Again I like the idea of wetting and cleaning the floor more often and probably should do this after correction and in the morning prior to coating once I clean off the car so the dust doesnt just pick back up.

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I haven`t noticed any real dust issues in my garage. It`s insulated and sealed well though and I clean the floor regularly. I also try not to generate any dust while polishing and I blow my pads out the side door rather then in the garage. I often leave cars overnight and come back the next morning to apply the coating. I`ll blow them off with the master blaster for any light dust, clean the floor quick, then do my wipe down on the paint and coat it.

I`ve started doing PPF now too so I`m even more critical about being dust free in the garage.
    You have one sweet garage too! Seems to be this will be the process I take as well as others have mentioned and do something similar.

Can I ask what kind of ppf and did you take the training or just learn on your own? Its something I`d like to start learning slowly on small body pieces and at some point probably take some official training.

Loving all the ideas and input. Thanks all.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Raydiant Detail --
    Oh good - there is a high end German Repair shop close by !!!
    Agreed - Chad has absolutely the BEST Shop I have ever seen !
    He worked on it for a long time, and totally rocked it !

While you are out learning new skills, If I were your age, I would want to be learning Paintless Dent Repair...

I had a really good one on my list when I lived in WA., and he was so busy..
    No one I know can come in, spend 15 - 30 minutes and make over $100...

He went to a couple of schools, and had a bunch of really old looking tools and that special light they like to use...
    And when he was done, there was absolutely no way you could ever find that dent again.. He is that good..

If you decide you want to try this craft out, I can put you in touch with him..

There will ALWAYS be work in this craft... My friend was so booked, the only time he was not working was when he shut off the phone and went on vacation...
    Dan F
    Likes RaydiantDetail, SWETM, RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    You have one sweet garage too! Seems to be this will be the process I take as well as others have mentioned and do something similar.

Can I ask what kind of ppf and did you take the training or just learn on your own? Its something I`d like to start learning slowly on small body pieces and at some point probably take some official training.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I actually attended the 4 day Xpel class back in March with a few other fellow detailers. It`s definitely harder than it looks but I`ve done 3 full fronts now and a handful of smaller jobs. I`ve been doing them at a reduced cost to get some practice but I`ve been happy with how they`ve all turned out...not flawless, better better then the work I see from a lot of other local shops.
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I live in a heavy agricultural area and get a good layer of dust in just one day. With the new shop, the spray foam I used sealed everything up pretty good. I can leave a vehicle for a month and the dust is hardly noticeable.

Likes SWETM, Stokdgs, RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Moonracer - that is how you do a garage, wow!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jatleson View Post
    Moonracer - that is how you do a garage, wow!!
    Thanks - it has been on the drawing board for about 3 years. I finally got it started in December, the foam went in at the end of April.

Its amazing how well it maintains a constant temperature. Warm at night, cool during the day. Only downfall besides the price is the smell
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Moonracer364- Gee, I suspect that "besides the cost" is a bit of understatement! Bet that cost a bundle, but it was undoubtedly well-spent. [INSERT coulda/woulda/shoulda sentiments here..]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information