Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: For those detailing in Garage...

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    What about putting towels/etc. over it? I have a bunch of `em all over the horizontal surfaces of the `93 Audi right now as I`m (really) taking my time reLSPing it. Started doing that back at the previous shop where there was no way to get/keep the (nice looking) exposed rafters clean.

Rather than blow out the garage with air, which in my case might (presumably) stir up something, I wash or at least rinse the floor pretty often in some parts of the shop.

When looking for a dedicated Detailing building, I`d give some thought to floor drains, which aren`t all that common these days what with environmental concerns (I had to have mine plumbed into an oil separator at both the old shop and the current one here at the house). Surprised me that I had to have it done at the old one, which had been a Ford dealership, but the building code had changed.
    Yup covering with towels is a good idea. I do have some PFMs and other large towels I could use. Now that you mention this I remember Mike Phillips also mentioning something similar using flannel bed sheets!

That is a good point about the drainage. I have only been researching online right now. I am really just in the preliminary stages of my idea to open up a dedicated shop. One can dream and should always plan though.

Post Thanks / Like

Is your garage air conditioned? If so is it the same system that air conditions the house? If so, maybe change the filters a little more often. I have a "fold up" type garage door and I`ve have noticed that there are numerous air gaps between each panel and around the edges of the door. I think someone else mentioned a good rubber seal at the bottom of the door would also help. I deal with the same problem as you, because I leave the truck in the garage overnight so the product/s bond before topping them the next day. I try to sweep the garage before I use it every time but ----- maybe most of the time--LOL. I like the idea of a flannel sheet over the surface of the vehicle. I think any "air tight" garage would be cost prohibitive for most of us--maybe Ron Pratt or Jay Leno has one?????
    Jay
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trashmanssd View Post
    You could try green garage door hinges, I think blow through at those doors is the biggest contributor to dust in any garage. I am going to try them before next winter just to help with sealing up for heat retention.

Green Hinge System - Spring Loaded Garage Door Hinges To Seal Side Gaps While Saving Money and Energy

WOW THATS A LOT BIGGER THEN I THOUGH IT WAS, LINKED PIC FROM THERE WEB PAGE
    Trashmanssd --
    Another good thing to do to any garage door is to insulate it.. The best way is to buy all new insulated panels, but if not possible, then they sell kits with heavy dense foam that will really help keep it cooler when needed and warmer when needed..
    I have had a couple of garage doors that were insulated and I could never go back now..
    Dan F
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Trashmanssd --
    Another good thing to do to any garage door is to insulate it.. The best way is to buy all new insulated panels, but if not possible, then they sell kits with heavy dense foam that will really help keep it cooler when needed and warmer when needed..
    I have had a couple of garage doors that were insulated and I could never go back now..
    Dan F
    From my auto painter days, the floor will ALWAYS be dusty when priming or painting..
    So, I always swept it out first, then allowed for the dust to settle, then washed it all out...And kept the floor damp to keep any dust from blowing up into the paintwork...

Look at the floor of your garage and think about perhaps washing it down before you do the work in there, or at least hosing it down, so you remove a lot of dust out and it will have to be cleaner as long as you don`t walk through a bunch of dirt and track it all in again..

I know, I know... had to stick to these rules to be able to keep up with paint jobs, and it has always stuck with me...
    Dan F
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    i have been looking at potential permanent shop spaces in the Atlanta area. I found one i really like which is pretty much move in ready and the rent and location is not bad. My goal was in the next few years once the other business takes off that I would love to switch to doing this full time. Detailing, Paint Correction, Coatings, PPF/ Vinyl Wraps, Dent removal, Aftermarket car parts (Exhausts/ Wheels) etc. Its always been a goal but of course everything has to line up for me to leave my full time gig.
    RaydiantDetail --
    Love that you want to do this full time !
    Just be sure that you will be ok with a vehicle/s always in the garage, waiting for you to work on them.. All year long...
    Once the train starts, it is very hard to stop..

Be sure that you love this business because it may not reward you what you were making at your other full time job, and there are no health benefits, 401k plan with matching by the employer, dental, vision, etc.... Hence, the advice about loving the work..

Absolutely have to find the most wealthy people who will be older but very financially secure, and do not mind spending a lot on their "investments" ...

See if you can find the absolute best independent foreign or German car repair shop in Atlanta, that has all those high end clients already and sell yourself and absolutely perfect work to them, and they will sell it to their Clients for you... It`s like magic !

I did this by driving my perfectly Detailed Black Grand Cherokee to their shop.. When they asked me how good a Detailer I was, (they already had one) I took them outside and let them see my work..
    They looked it all over - outside, inside, the engine, engine compartment, the back, they looked it all over very carefully.. Sold!!!!
    Never seen so many German cars in my Life !!!! And I had already Detailed a couple hundred of them from my neighborhood..
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F
    Likes RaydiantDetail, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks RaydiantDetail thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, my shop has its own HVAC system and it doesn`t keep the dust down at all. Probably a big part of it is where the Air Returns are...but it`s not running all the time anyhow, and I`m not gonna run the fan 24/7 no matter what.

But that does bring up another point for those with Home Shops- I`m a big fan of separate systems for the garage, HVAC/water treatment/electrical/etc.

RaydiantDetail- I find that I do better with a number of towels than with larger blankets/sheets, but yeah...another thing where you oughta find out what works for you and then do that.

And yeah, that floor drain thing is simply HUGE to me, can`t figure out how anybody does without one. I`ve had one in every shop/garage that I`ve ever detailed in, going back to the `70s. "Sorry mister, I gotta have a floor drain.." from teenage me. But then the house I grew up in had floor drains (real sanitary-line drains, not Gray Water ones) in the basement and garage; I just thought it was normal and I guess I got used to having them.

Post Thanks / Like

My garage doesn`t have a floor drain(town wouldn`t allow it) so the alternative to me is to squeegee out the wash water and follow with a blower. Works in a pinch.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- I`m glad you`re able to make due without the floor drain (that I can make sound indispensable ).

My twnshp originally said "no" but OKed it after all, gather they hadn`t really expected a homeowner to do the commercial-type, EPA-compliant setup. Would`ve been a deal-breaker on the whole home purchase as I was prioritizing the garage possibilities so I`d be able to sell the dealership building without compromising my detailing, kinda a high hurdle I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    My garage doesn`t have a floor drain(town wouldn`t allow it) so the alternative to me is to squeegee out the wash water and follow with a blower. Works in a pinch.
    Bill D.
    My garage floor has a slight tilt out the garage door, and I also use a squeegee to remove all the standing water left, so I dont splash it up on the work..
    Just having that light layer of dust, dirt, etc., gone from the floor really makes a difference...
    Dan F
    The Other Coast

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t stand a dusty floor! My neighbors give me funny looks when they see me squeegeeing out the garage For those detailing in Garage...For those detailing in Garage...

Post Thanks / Like

I can`t stand a dusty floor! My neighbors give me funny looks when they see me squeegeeing out the garage For those detailing in Garage...For those detailing in Garage...
    Bill D --
    I know what you mean ! Concrete seems to make dust without any help anyway....

And out here in the Farm Country, no one washes off their garage floor, much less wash their car...
    And then they don`t even put them in the garage...

Well, my coated babies are easily the cleanest, certainly the clearest and glossiest examples out here forever...
    No brag, just fact..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Same here in coastal Florida! If I`m not maintaining my own vehicles I go over to my parents and do theirs. I have a convertible and van to do soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Constantly cleaning the floors here as well! I do wash them down and brush them but still it just seems I won`t be eliminating the dust problem for good and will just have to take steps folks have outlined here. Time to get some high quality flannel sheets hehe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Eh, my shop has its own HVAC system and it doesn`t keep the dust down at all. Probably a big part of it is where the Air Returns are...but it`s not running all the time anyhow, and I`m not gonna run the fan 24/7 no matter what.

But that does bring up another point for those with Home Shops- I`m a big fan of separate systems for the garage, HVAC/water treatment/electrical/etc.

RaydiantDetail- I find that I do better with a number of towels than with larger blankets/sheets, but yeah...another thing where you oughta find out what works for you and then do that.

And yeah, that floor drain thing is simply HUGE to me, can`t figure out how anybody does without one. I`ve had one in every shop/garage that I`ve ever detailed in, going back to the `70s. "Sorry mister, I gotta have a floor drain.." from teenage me. But then the house I grew up in had floor drains (real sanitary-line drains, not Gray Water ones) in the basement and garage; I just thought it was normal and I guess I got used to having them.
    In the home garage I am mostly doing rinseless washing on my personal cars so dont really need a drain as i dont produce a lot of run off. For clients cars if its in bad shape ill do the prep out in the driveway them pull it in to the garage to prep etc. I would love to have a drain in the garage to be able to do a full wash though. That would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Bill D --
    I know what you mean ! Concrete seems to make dust without any help anyway....

And out here in the Farm Country, no one washes off their garage floor, much less wash their car...
    And then they don`t even put them in the garage...

Well, my coated babies are easily the cleanest, certainly the clearest and glossiest examples out here forever...
    No brag, just fact..
    Dan F
    I really like your idea about going to the local high end body shops. I never thought of that. My personal car needs to be dialed in a bit before I do that though. Hehe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information