Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Vehicle multiple dirt nibs

I bought a new truck in April. First wash revealed about 40-50 dirt nibs all over the truck. Multiple spots on every panel. It’s at the dealer getting some minor warranty work done, and a rep to look at it. I have not done any Devon or polishing till I figure out what to do.

Don’t know if I should live with it or get them to fix it.

What would you do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Vehicle multiple dirt nibs

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoTaurus View Post
    I bought a new truck in April. First wash revealed about 40-50 dirt nibs all over the truck. Multiple spots on every panel. It’s at the dealer getting some minor warranty work done, and a rep to look at it. I have not done any Devon or polishing till I figure out what to do.

Don’t know if I should live with it or get them to fix it.

What would you do?

Tuxedo Taurus --
    So you see dirt embedded in the paint ??? Like deep in the paintwork, that it needs to be wet, block-sanded off??
    If so, that should have never come off the assembly line like that..

I would have taken it back the first time I saw that and told them to set up an appointment with the regional rep, yourself, and the painter for that dealership..
    Hope you can get this resolved to your satisfaction..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I would have taken it back the first time I saw that and told them to set up an appointment with the regional rep, yourself, and the painter for that dealership.
    Dan, it is atrocious. I would understand one or two, nobody is perfect. They have they information on it. They keep saying waiting for the regional rep to come. They are giving the truck back today so they do not have the truck over 30 days to qualify for lemon law.

I it was in clear coat, or a few I would just denib my self. I’m nervous the repaint can come out worse. I need to find what body shop they use.

Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

A full repaint on a new truck would be unacceptable to me. I would try to get the dealer to take it back and give me a new one. That may prove impossible. I would try to get their corporate offices involved. Vehicles cost too damn much not to be happy. If you have to keep the truck I would probably live with it instead of getting a respray. Maybe get something in writing that would allow you to get a respray in the future if you change your mind.
    Likes Oneheadlite, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    A full repaint on a new truck would be unacceptable to me. I would try to get the dealer to take it back and give me a new one. That may prove impossible. I would try to get their corporate offices involved. Vehicles cost too damn much not to be happy. If you have to keep the truck I would probably live with it instead of getting a respray. Maybe get something in writing that would allow you to get a respray in the future if you change your mind.
    I’m starting to look into that route. It’s going back now. The issue that was supposedly corrected wasn’t. I have always been a Ford guy, but liked the new Ram ecosiesel. FCA is starting to make me regret this.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, it is atrocious. I would understand one or two, nobody is perfect. They have they information on it. They keep saying waiting for the regional rep to come. They are giving the truck back today so they do not have the truck over 30 days to qualify for lemon law.

I it was in clear coat, or a few I would just denib my self. I’m nervous the repaint can come out worse. I need to find what body shop they use.

TuxedoTaurus -
    I am so sorry this has happened..
    Never, in all the new vehicles I have owned or have Detailed for others have I seen what you describe is in your truck..
    Perhaps, the truck came out fine from the Factory and once it got to the dealer or somewhere, something happened, and they had to re-paint it??
    Of course, unless they used a properly filtered Paint Booth, there would be a big chance of stuff falling into the paint as it dried..
    Even in a Paint Booth, especially if the floor is not very clean and then wet down, there is a chance something can end up on the paintwork..
    Here is what I would say -- " I don`t know what the Factory did or what someone else did afterwards to this truck, but I see that this is going to be an issue that is Totally Unacceptable to me.. You have to take the truck back and get me another one that does not have the defects"...
    Or refund my money and I will go buy another one somewhere else...

Its a pain but if you know a good Attorney, or have one in the family, etc., see about having them check case law databases and see how this was handled before in courts...
    For sure, you are not the first one ever - to have this happen, so there should be people who took it to the max out there in those case law books/databases..

I know personally that doing the research works..
    Once I was dressed in a suit and tie, on my way to a Boy Scout Awards function at our church.
    A dork Sheriff deputy pulled me over and gave me a bunch of crap and a ticket for my mild tint on the windows of my truck..

I took it to court with a 15 page brief from the California Supreme Court where a trucker got busted for the same thing, took it all the way up to the Supreme Court, and got out of it when the CA Supreme Court ruled in his favor because the window tint law was impeding interstate traffic..

I handed this brief to the Court Attorney that was going to bust me up in the court.. He read a few pages of it, took my copy of the ticket, tore it up and said I could go.. I kept the tint on...

Good luck with this... Get the Regional Rep, and then His Boss, all the way up to the Corporate Level involved...
    if you use social media, search there, or perhaps some of these young, social media savvy guys/gals here can help look up the subject matter, the names and phone nbrs of the Corporate people for you...
    Dan F
    Likes JRW67 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    TuxedoTaurus -
    I am so sorry this has happened.. New Vehicle multiple dirt nibs
    Never, in all the new vehicles I have owned or have Detailed for others have I seen what you describe is in your truck..
    Perhaps, the truck came out fine from the Factory and once it got to the dealer or somewhere, something happened, and they had to re-paint it??
    Of course, unless they used a properly filtered Paint Booth, there would be a big chance of stuff falling into the paint as it dried..
    Even in a Paint Booth, especially if the floor is not very clean and then wet down, there is a chance something can end up on the paintwork..
    Here is what I would say -- " I don`t know what the Factory did or what someone else did afterwards to this truck, but I see that this is going to be an issue that is Totally Unacceptable to me.. You have to take the truck back and get me another one that does not have the defects"...
    Or refund my money and I will go buy another one somewhere else...

Its a pain but if you know a good Attorney, or have one in the family, etc., see about having them check case law databases and see how this was handled before in courts...
    For sure, you are not the first one ever - to have this happen, so there should be people who took it to the max out there in those case law books/databases..

I know personally that doing the research works..
    Once I was dressed in a suit and tie, on my way to a Boy Scout Awards function at our church.
    A dork Sheriff deputy pulled me over and gave me a bunch of crap and a ticket for my mild tint on the windows of my truck..

I took it to court with a 15 page brief from the California Supreme Court where a trucker got busted for the same thing, took it all the way up to the Supreme Court, and got out of it when the CA Supreme Court ruled in his favor because the window tint law was impeding interstate traffic..

I handed this brief to the Court Attorney that was going to bust me up in the court.. He read a few pages of it, took my copy of the ticket, tore it up and said I could go.. I kept the tint on...

Good luck with this... Get the Regional Rep, and then His Boss, all the way up to the Corporate Level involved...
    if you use social media, search there, or perhaps some of these young, social media savvy guys/gals here can help look up the subject matter, the names and phone nbrs of the Corporate people for you...
    Dan F
    Dan, I have been doing research. This is an on going issue the last few years. What is going on is the structure manufactured in Warren Michigan the oldest plant in FCA. that plan has been pushing trucks off the factory line since 30’s. They were building a new truck plant for the 19 model years. They figured they would get by not doing the maintenance to their facility to by while building the new plant. Most people would not find these paint defects and therefore they would deal with the few that did find them. I’m sure it saved a ton of money in the long run. However I guess they did not expect Autopian to buy their products

This however I don’t believe there’s a repair on this truck from what my paint thickness gauge has told me.

Post Thanks / Like

TuxedoTaurus --
    Glad to hear you have done your due diligence !

Wow, using the same line since the `30`s !!!! Can you imagine how much dirt has come off that line in those 88+ - years???

Glad to hear you dont see any hugely thicker total paint thickness areas on the truck..
    Guess that means that bunch of whatever got on the truck when it was originally painted, and somehow got all the way down the line and no one stopped it for the dirt nibs...

Well, good luck with your plan - yes, Autopian standard is way higher than apparently, this truck assembly line !!!
    Too bad for them..
    Dan F
    Likes TuxedoTaurus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I got my 2016 Camaro SS replaced because it had bad paint. There in no way I would accept a brand new vehicle that needed to be completely repainted. A lot if people think it`s ok because you still have a warranty. I`m not one of those people. If they paint the entire truck I can almost guarantee your going to find spots that show it`s a repaint. Also what about car fax? I`m sure it has to be reported. That will decrease the value when you get rid of it.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I got my 2016 Camaro SS replaced because it had bad paint. There in no way I would accept a brand new vehicle that needed to be completely repainted. A lot if people think it`s ok because you still have a warranty. I`m not one of those people. If they paint the entire truck I can almost guarantee your going to find spots that show it`s a repaint. Also what about car fax? I`m sure it has to be reported. That will decrease the value when you get rid of it.
    How did you go about it with GM to get it replaced. You can pm me the details. When I meet the regional rep I won’t to show I’m prepared so they won’t feel they can railroad me.

That gets reported. Even in replacement or buy back that all shows up on the vehicles history.

As I was typing I got a call the region rep will be there tomorrow

Post Thanks / Like

How did you go about it with GM to get it replaced. You can pm me the details. When I meet the regional rep I won’t to show I’m prepared so they won’t feel they can railroad me.

That gets reported. Even in replacement or buy back that all shows up on the vehicles history.

As I was typing I got a call the region rep will be there tomorrow

I took it back to the dealership and talked to the sales manager. I told him I had paint and body experience and I detail cars. I told him it`s been my experience that when you disassemble the car to the point this one would have to be taken down to and put it back together things never go back perfectly and you lose that tight factory fit of the parts. Then there is the fact of the resale value taking such a hit.

He asked me to bring it back when his body shop manager was there. I did and he looked at and pretty much agreed with me. The sales manager called me a few days later after he talked to regional GM guys and told me they were going to replace it.

Then GM found out it wasn`t an isolated issue. I was on the Camaro forum and there were a lot of cars in this color with the issue. A lot of other people had to really fight to get anything done. Couldn`t see anything mid day out on the lot. But the base coat was too thin in a lot of different places. When direct light, sun or LED, hit it it looked tan in some spots and orange in others. Because I saw orange I assume the primer was thin too.

I was actually kind of surprised they replaced mine that easily. Worked out good. They never touched my replacement when it came from the factory. No holes for a front license plate bracket. They let me keep the car they were replacing until the new one was built. I think Imput 2000 miles on it.
    Likes TuxedoTaurus, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

If it’s under 500 miles FCA can unwind the deal like it never happened and give you something else.

Going above the dealer is key. They will probably have to have the dist manager and tech advisor involved. Call the care line if you haven’t yet. Many times until you get what you want. Leave the truck there and don’t drive it. Tell them you aren’t happy with it. They will play ball they want to try to get the ratings up. Last thing they want is a court battle because it’s very pricey whether they win or lose.

Sometimes these things happen for a good reason like to dodge the eco diesel bullet lol

Likes DaveT435, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    If it’s under 500 miles FCA can unwind the deal like it never happened and give you something else.

Going above the dealer is key. They will probably have to have the dist manager and tech advisor involved. Call the care line if you haven’t yet. Many times until you get what you want. Leave the truck there and don’t drive it. Tell them you aren’t happy with it. They will play ball they want to try to get the ratings up. Last thing they want is a court battle because it’s very pricey whether they win or lose.

Sometimes these things happen for a good reason like to dodge the eco diesel bullet lol

Good points. I would try to get a body shop manager involved also. A lot if the executives don`t know anything about paint. If it`s a wide spread problem and they`re aware of it they will probably fight it. If they can simply make it like the deal never happened that would be best for all involved in my opinion. They`ll still have a new vehicle and you`ll have a different new vehicle. I don`t know if you already mentioned, what kind of truck is it??

Post Thanks / Like

I do have a case open with FCA

The issues were reported with 200 miles on the truck. It now has 6700. There is a mechanical issue all the techs are stumped on. I have been waiting on the FCA region rep for almost 2 months. Talking to the service rep this morning he said the dealership is trying to build a case for replacement. He is calling when the rep comes in today.

I have tape on all paint issues so no wasted time looking for them.

I talked to a paint shop owner who is a friend, he said it would be about 8-10k to repaint it right. The dealer farms out paint work, I think they know there guy would not meet my standards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    lol, I’ve done my research on the ecodiesel. It’s a 3% failure rate. I see a lot of it being people that don’t understand diesel motors. The early year main bearing issue were supposedly corrected in 17 model year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information