Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have these lawnmowers?

I`m looking at lawnmowers in the $300 range.

Wondering if anyone has any of these specific mowers and any feedback good or bad?

I was going to go electric but the eGO one I want is significantly out of my price range.

I`m a little concerned that these will be not powerful enough. I was using a 190 cc 6.75 hp briggs and Stratton but I think I finally broke it (actually it hasn`t ran for years and I am possibly the worlds worst small engine mechanic). I`m gonna try one more attempt at playing youtube mechanic but previous attempts have been futile and I`m really tired of relying on a lawn service.

They`re all from Lowes (I have a gift card to there so I`m trying to stay with Lowes to save my out of pocket cost)

Troy-Bilt TB130 XP 160-cc 21-in Push Gas Lawn Mower with Honda Engine
    $239.00
    Or

Troy-Bilt TB230 163-cc 21-in Self-propelled Gas Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine
    $279.00
    or
    Husqvarna 7021P 160-cc 21-in Push Gas Lawn Mower with Honda Engine
    $299.00

on the higher end I could splurge for one of these self propelled but I really would rather not go over my budget.

Husqvarna LC221RH 160-cc 21-in Self-propelled Gas Lawn Mower with Honda Engine
    $349.00
    or
    Husqvarna LC221A 163-cc 21-in Self-propelled Gas Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine $339.00

Thanks in advance

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone have these lawnmowers?

First off, I don’t have any of the mowers listed. I have however repaired small engines/equipment for over 30 years, my Dad had a small engine business and needed the help, as an Auto Tech it wasn’t a stretch to fix a mower. I mean no offense but am going to ask you a serious question here. Are you looking at these lawnmowers as a consumable or as an investment in a tool that will serve you well with minimal repairs over the next decade? If you are looking at these mowers as a consumable, three to four year life span buy one of the Huskies and stay away from the MTD (Troy-Built) made mowers. Troy-Built sold out years ago and one of the finest names in yard care products became the equivelant of a Craftsman/Yardman/MTD/Most Store Brand mowers. If buying with the consumable mindset any of these will do and while I often recommend the commercial line of Honda Engines, the Honda Engines on the mowers listed in your OP are only shadows of the great Honda name.

I tried a bit of an experiment about 4 years ago. I purchased one of the B&S engines like the one you have listed in the bottom of your post and installed it on a Snapper Commercial Deck that I’ve had since 1995, that’s right, now 23 years old. This mower has all the bells and whistles, steel wheels, ball bearing wheels, HiLift cutting blade, 10” rear, 8” inch front wheels, commercial bag. These commercial Snappers are investment grade, you replace worn parts, the decks, handle bars, mounts etc. never wear out they just keep going. I have 3 commercial Snapper mowers, 2 with commercial Honda engines on them. The mower of which I’m speaking is one that my son used as a teenager with a lawn care business, he’d cut 20 - 25 lawns a week. It was used hard and is now on it’s 4th engine.

I ususally put commercial Honda engines on these Snapper decks if they ever need an engine replaced, great combination and they just flat live. This B&S engine that I gave a shot is now on it’s 5th season, the mower is still used hard. It pushes the spring tooth attachment in the spring when thatching the lawn. Nothing is harder on an engine than this routine. It runs like a Swiss watch, never needs more than 2 pulls regardless of temperature and other than having to remove the pull starter for a clean and lube has never missed a beat. It has a bit more torque than my commercial Honda’s as well. Moral of this experiment, Commercial Honda engine over $400, Commercial Briggs engine that I installed was less than $200 at the time. This engine has only been out about 6 or 7 years and in my opinion is better than any of the other B&S overhead valve engines. Hear this, not all Honda engines are created equally, they make a cheap line of engines that end up on store branded mowers that help sell mowers because of the name. They aren’t the engines that made Honda’s good name.

Long story made short, I think that particular Briggs engine will run circles around the Honda’s pictured. Don’t get me wrong, Honda makes some really top notch engines but those aren’t it.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes 512detail, Stokdgs, mc2hill liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Can`t beat a Honda engine!
    Likes 512detail, 1500canoe, upon3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Husqavarna out in the shed with a Briggs & Straton, it’s eleven years old, been through a few moves, and sits a season periodically. Ive only ever had to do regular maintenance, replace one of the cables due to a move, and just use it. For a homeowner with an average subrban yard, it’s fine. My only complaint is with the height adjusters for the rear wheels, over time they have become a bit bendy, then again, the lawn mower is eleven years old and has been through multiple moves.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    I`m looking at lawnmowers in the $300 range.

Wondering if anyone has any of these specific mowers and any feedback good or bad?

I was going to go electric but the eGO one I want is significantly out of my price range.

I`m a little concerned that these will be not powerful enough. I was using a 190 cc 6.75 hp briggs and Stratton but I think I finally broke it (actually it hasn`t ran for years and I am possibly the worlds worst small engine mechanic). I`m gonna try one more attempt at playing youtube mechanic but previous attempts have been futile and I`m really tired of relying on a lawn service.

They`re all from Lowes (I have a gift card to there so I`m trying to stay with Lowes to save my out of pocket cost)

Troy-Bilt TB130 XP 160-cc 21-in Push Gas Lawn Mower with Honda Engine
    $239.00
    Or

Troy-Bilt TB230 163-cc 21-in Self-propelled Gas Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine
    $279.00
    or
    Husqvarna 7021P 160-cc 21-in Push Gas Lawn Mower with Honda Engine
    $299.00

on the higher end I could splurge for one of these self propelled but I really would rather not go over my budget.

Husqvarna LC221RH 160-cc 21-in Self-propelled Gas Lawn Mower with Honda Engine
    $349.00
    or
    Husqvarna LC221A 163-cc 21-in Self-propelled Gas Lawn Mower with Briggs & Stratton Engine $339.00

Thanks in advance
    I`ve got the second one. The one for 279. It`s a stud. Our doesn`t like super thick tall grass, but it absolutely runs like a champ. One of the best mowers I`ve ever owned

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Self propelled with a honda engine. You will thank yourself in the coming summers. Spend a bit more now because in two years you will gladly pay the difference.

KM

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone have these lawnmowers?

Brandt, I got the Husquavna 21” self-propelled and it going on 5 years. I cannot complain, starts on first pull every time. I do have it serviced every year with my local Husquavna center.

Personal, as I am replacing my equipment it’s been with the Husquavna brand, gas leaf blower and snow blower last fall.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    I mean no offense but am going to ask you a serious question here. Are you looking at these lawnmowers as a consumable or as an investment in a tool that will serve you will with minimal repairs over the next decade?
    mostly consumable at this point. I realize a $300 lawnmower is probably not going to last me 10 years, but I can`t afford the investment side of this equipment right now.
    I`m also debating waiting until I can get a "longer lasting one" but I really wouldn`t even know what type of mower that would be.

I definitely need one that has easy maintenance. I would prefer to wait and buy a higher quality one, but then there`s the whole I have to store it in my garage thing which has kept me from buying another lawnmower since this one stopped working.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    mostly consumable at this point. I realize a $300 lawnmower is probably not going to last me 10 years, but I can`t afford the investment side of this equipment right now.
    I`m also debating waiting until I can get a "longer lasting one" but I really wouldn`t even know what type of mower that would be.

I definitely need one that has easy maintenance. I would prefer to wait and buy a higher quality one, but then there`s the whole I have to store it in my garage thing which has kept me from buying another lawnmower since this one stopped working.
    Given this, I’d point you towards the Husky with the B&S engine at the bottom of your post. I wouldn’t be seduced by the Honda name on this level of mower (refer to my previous post). Change the oil at the first of the season and once in the middle, drain the gas out come winter time, keep your cables lubed, assuming these wheels are gear drive keep some grease in there, you’ll be happy with it.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

I`m not going to say which one I think is best. I may once again be OCD. On small engines without oil filters, I change the oil after the first or second use( depends on how big the yard is). I look at it as all the metal from break in is floating around in the oil. After that I change it twice a season. Again it`s not as though the oil is being filtered. The other is gas, I put gas stabilizer in the gas can each time I fill the can up. I use half the amount it says on the bottle. It usually takes me a month to go through all the gas in the can. Pulse sta-bil has extra cleaning properties. I every season don`t have problems with the engine in my power equipment since adopting this system over a decade ago.

Post Thanks / Like

512. How much grass are you cutting are you going to be bagging the grass. It looks like the last 2 aren’t capable of throwing grass to the side. Aggrob said he has had good luck with the Troybuilt, I would probably go with that one. Whatever you do don’t get one with a tecumseh motor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    512. How much grass are you cutting are you going to be bagging the grass. It looks like the last 2 aren’t capable of throwing grass to the side. Aggrob said he has had good luck with the Troybuilt, I would probably go with that one. Whatever you do don’t get one with a tecumseh motor
    Just my residence. I have a standard sized front yard but the back is pretty large. On second thought I might want to splurge for the self propelled as that function sure came in handy when I used to cut the grass.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

If you`re not in a hurry to purchase, the Ego mower will drop to $350 or less a few times a year ($300 is the lowest I`ve seen, but that was last November I believe).

A couple of years ago I had a self-propelled Husqvarna with the Honda engine and I had no complaints. The only reason I no longer have it is because I moved. I currently have a Honda mower that`s serving me well so far. As for storage, some mowers have the collapsible handle and there`s even a brand that can be stored vertically, although I don`t recall which brand it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Given this, I’d point you towards the Husky with the B&S engine at the bottom of your post. I wouldn’t be seduced by the Honda name on this level of mower (refer to my previous post). Change the oil at the first of the season and once in the middle, drain the gas out come winter time, keep your cables lubed, assuming these wheels are gear drive keep some grease in there, you’ll be happy with it.
    thanks. What about power loss going from the 190 b&s I had to a 160 o r 163. Is that going to be significant?

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    512. How much grass are you cutting are you going to be bagging the grass. It looks like the last 2 aren’t capable of throwing grass to the side...
    That’s actually a very good point. That said, do people still use a side discharge with all of the great mulching blades/mowers out there? Seriously though, I haven’t used a side discharge mower with the exception an old mower (Snapper 4 HP 2/Cycle) relinquished to the status of a dedicated brush cutter in 40 years. Actually forgot about it until I read this post, still have it sitting in the back of the shed. Those old 2 cycles were little tanks. Heck, still have a commercial Toro 6 HP, 2 Cycle that’s in great shape in the shed too. These were highly sought after in their day. They actually weighed in at about 100 lbs.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information