Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Accident Today...

Nizmo- Ah, I gather it drives/basically looks OK or you`d be ranting, that`s great. What`re you gonna use on the paint while it`s outgassing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Nizmo- Ah, I gather it drives/basically looks OK or you`d be ranting, that`s great. What`re you gonna use on the paint while it`s outgassing?
    Yea can`t complain! The paintwork has the right amount of OEM looking orange-peel and seems to match from what I can see.

Right now I`m gonna let the new paint sit for a month or so. Seems that`s about the time it will take to get warm around here again. After that it`s my Poorboy`s EX sealant regimen. If there happens to be buffer trails a quick pass with SSR1 will likely do it for me. For now it just needs some DIY maintenance (oil change, filters, etc.). Guess I`m lucky they didn`t total it, I spent $25 on an oil filter tool for it a week before the accident, lol.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Hey, that sound great, and heh heh heh Re that oil filter tool

I`d wait a lot longer on the sealant as I`ve never had even baked paint finish sooner than ~90 days, sometimes amazingly longer. In the meantime I`d just use OCW (it was this fresh repaint application that originally got me onto the stuff). Yeah, I know..erring on the side of caution perhaps...
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Nizmo- Hey, that sound great, and heh heh heh Re that oil filter tool

I`d wait a lot longer on the sealant as I`ve never had even baked paint finish sooner than ~90 days, sometimes amazingly longer. In the meantime I`d just use OCW (it was this fresh repaint application that originally got me onto the stuff). Yeah, I know..erring on the side of caution perhaps...
    Hmm, makes sense, I`ll probably let it go a little longer then.

I don`t think mother wanted to give up my GTI though. Her words "Yea it`s a little hard to get in and out of, but boy does it have power!" Then proceeds to tell me the lady`s she works with all liked it, and does a rev and clutch dump to spin the tires infront of them. My 62 yo mother was showing off in my car, I should be mad, but it`s no worse than I`ve done, lol. I think I know where I get it from now... Come to think of it I now know why the tires on the Camry are half gone at 18K miles; she`s cornering around the mountain like a boss!
    Likes Coleroad, SWETM, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Coleroad thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Heh heh, your mother sounds like mine, she and here one sister were, uhm...serious about performance cars.

And hey, 62 isn`t even close to "old". My mother bought her (manual) RX7 right around that age.
    Likes Nizmo, SWETM, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know if your Mom owns this Camry or leases it, but if it is a lease, I know that one of the problems with leased vehicles involved in an accident is that it can no long be accepted as a "manufacturer certified" vehicle when it is lease-returned and resold as a used vehicle. This is unfortunate because you Mom is victim of an accident that is not her fault. I have no idea if there are lease return "fees" for accident-involved vehicles which is, in effect, a "hidden cost" to a lease.

While many individuals shopping for a used car because of affordability, finding a an accident-free vehicle may be important, and with today`s CarFax and other vehicle history internet reporting services, it is MUCH easier for a prospective used-car buyer to determine the true condition of a vehicle and if a "Certified Vehicle" is really worth the higher purchase price of such a vehicle. Others may see a slightly damaged-and-repaired vehicle as a good buy. We have a larger used-car dealer here in Green Bay that buys these types of cars at auction and his prices are usually several thousand dollars less than typical new-car dealerships that have "Certified Vehicles" for sale on comparable vehicles of the same year, model, and mileage.

My point is that your Mom`s accident may impact the future resale value of her vehicle should she ever choose to do so.

Now, she may not return your loaner VW GTI because it`s a fun vehicle to drive and her driving antics are, well, "interesting". Thanks for sharing this whole Camry-accident story with us (although you Mom may not have the same"appreciation" about her GTI driving experiences.)
    GB detailer
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Luckily we bought it, err, I guess I should say I did, instead of a lease. I was the only one working at the time her old Equinox was going out. We don`t plan on trading it in, it`s basically her retirement vehicle. It`ll be 3 years old this month and only has 19K on it. Unfortunately for us the other party had no insurance and has no assets, so are out $605 between deductible and a couple day loaner copay. Was going to use that money to repaint the truck, but I guess that`ll have to wait a year...
    Likes Stokdgs, Lonnie liked this post

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information