Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Accident Today...

Update:

Just got the estimate today and right now it`s a little over $4300 to repair the car. Probably will be closer to over 5K all said and done. Bumper and crash bar are used parts, but the rest is all OEM and approved through insurance.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Niz, what year is the car? The reason I ask is because my policy states that vehicles less than 4 years old only receive new, OEM parts. Shouldn’t have to have used parts on a newish vehicle.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

GearHead, it`s an early model year 2015. This April we`ll have had it 3 years and not quite 19K miles.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    GearHead, it`s an early model year 2015. This April we`ll have had it 3 years and not quite 19K miles.
    You’re probably completely happy with the proposed repairs and I don’t mean to be stirring things up. That said, it’s not unheard of for an insurance company to take the least expensive road.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Shouldn’t have to have used parts on a newish vehicle.
    Gee, I`ve never had it suggested that any repair be done with used parts, and all our vehicles are pretty old.

EDIT: well, actually the Ins. Co. of the woman who hit my wife`s car (the last time) *did* suggest it, I just told the guy something like "you`re completely off-base and can leave now, this is a waste of time" and Chubb took care of it all for us. He was the same [individual] I had to physically prevent from touching my paint

Post Thanks / Like

Meh, it`s just a bumper and aluminum crash bar. It`s technically OEM and they`re going to have to paint it anyways. At this point I just want the car back looking and driving like it was. Although it`s kinda funny to have the truck parked in the garage...

Post Thanks / Like

Used parts (oem) are better than LKQ which are non oem parts. I asked about used parts and wanted new, the adjuster walked around to the other -good- side and asked what wrong with these parts? I got mostly oem parts, I think it depends on the insurance company.

Post Thanks / Like

So I`m wrong, reviewing the estimate and some research they`re trying to sneak an aftermarket bumper and crash bar on me. Yea that`s no-bueno.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    So I`m wrong, reviewing the estimate and some research they`re trying to sneak an aftermarket bumper and crash bar on me. Yea that`s no-bueno.
    You are a wise man. I wouldn’t let them do that to anything I own. I’ve never seen an aftermarket body part stack up to an OE part. This said, I believe some of the bargain basement policies specify this practce to be approved. I had a friend that went through it and his policy more or less said whatever could be used to put it back on the road. Need to get Brandt in on this. He’d have all the answers.

@512detail
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Gee, I`ve never had it suggested that any repair be done with used parts, and all our vehicles are pretty old. ...
    When I had an encounter with a member of Bambi’s extended family, the body shop (one of the more reputable of those in town) actually recommended using a used hood and fender Vs a new genuine piece. They actually felt the anti-corrosion treatment was superior on parts that rolled off the line compared to the replacement panels from the dealer.

Based on the lifetime warranty they provide on their work, and how he talked about it, I felt he was being sincere (not just trying to maximize the hours they could charge insurance to refinish a used part).

Post Thanks / Like

Oneheadlite- Actually, you brought up a specific that just happens to resonate with me! When I get the hood replaced on the Tahoe (sigh...long story) I plan to get a used one for that exact reason. But absent a panel (and make/year/model)-specific reason like that, I want new on our cars.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No updates on the car, but I have to say I`m one unlucky guy. Was rear ended in the company truck in Philadelphia today. Not bad, just a couple dents in the back doors. My boss said he`s gonna wrap me in bubble wrap, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Nizmo- Ah gee, at least (I gather) you`re OK.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow you have a bad streak now. Hope it`s okay with you? And your bad luck is changing to good luck.
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

After almost a month and what I expected, $5K it`s back in my garage. Everything seems to be back to where it was. don`t know what it looks like in the sun, but I have the means to fix that! Only pic I managed to snap, but you can see it`s back in one piece!

Likes Stokdgs, Coleroad, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information