Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank Goodness

Post Thanks / Like

Thank Goodness

The EPA is rolling back Obama`s fuel economy and emissions regulations!

Now that crap is gone and the shackles are off, how long do you think it will be before we see some fun cars again, like, say, a 707 HP Hellcat, an 840 HP Demon, or if you`re a bow-tie guy, a 755 HP ZR-1 or 650 HP Z06?

Hopefully they don`t come out with any of those too fast, I need time to save some money up.
    Likes Stokdgs, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thank Goodness

Im more interested in seeing the return of V6’s instead of all this turbo 4 banger crap, but i fear its too late for that. Theyve already marketed it too hard as being a better car and consumers seem to be fine with it.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, once the current folks get voted out it`ll be back to the, uhm... nonsensical regulations.

Post Thanks / Like

First off: I`m a fan of performance cars and will always sacrifice fuel economy for power and driving enjoyment. I also agree the regulations were driving the industry faster than technology could keep up, to the point of being unreasonable. However...

I`m more afraid of a spike in oil prices which would leave people with cars no one can afford to put gas in. Hopefully that day is a long way off as long as US oil production continues to be healthy, but the world is a strange place. With auto development cycles, it could take 3~5 years before the market could react. I remember the spike in oil prices around 2009~2010 and my wife daily drove out V8-powered Toyota Sequoia which got 15mpg on the highway. We were to the point where I was looking at riding my bike 15 miles to work each way so she could drive my car because we could barely afford the gas. At the first opportunity we dumped that monster and got something slightly smaller and WAY more economical. We`ve saved quit a bit of money in the long run even after gas prices fell.

I also wonder what this would do for potential exports of US cars and the global platforms US automakers build. All politics and regional prejudices aside, one of the biggest problems with exporting US cars is their size fuel economy. I don`t think Dodge/Chrystler/Ram builds a single vehicle you could afford to run in Europe or Asia due to gas prices, and they wouldn`t fit down some of the roads. Ford and GM may have to completely segregate their domestic and "rest of world" product lines which will raise production costs across the board for the whole company. Engines built for the US market won`t be competitive abroad.

I actually don`t mind some of the turbo 4 cylinder engines out today. The key is a well designed engine...not the number of cylinders. A couple examples from my experience.

My GTI with a turbo-four produces more HP/torque from a smaller engine and gets better gas mileage than the straight six in my E-46 BMW I owned years ago. It`s also very close to being as smooth as that inline six. While I miss the RWD of the BMW, from an engine standpoint I have no regrets.

The slow disappearance of vehicles with any hints of excitement and their replacement by large CUV`s with soggy dynamics bothers me way more than fuel regulations.

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Given those high gas prices, I`m always a bit surprised that certain hi-po American cars are popular in Europe. There are even a fair number of supercharged (!) Crown Vics and Merc Marauders prowling the Autobahn. (Also some *really* built ones in The Kingdom, but hey they have the oil.)

And yeah, I agree completely about some of today`s turbo-4s! As long as the electronics don`t muddy the waters to much they behave really, really well...not at all like turbos of yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Desertnate- Given those high gas prices, I`m always a bit surprised that certain hi-po American cars are popular in Europe. There are even a fair number of supercharged (!) Crown Vics and Merc Marauders prowling the Autobahn. (Also some *really* built ones in The Kingdom, but hey they have the oil.)
    They are there, but more of a novelty and/or driven by those who can afford to fill them with fuel at the rate of $5.50 a gallon. Same goes for the Merc`s, Audi`s, and BMW`s with V8`s really. I lived in the UK for several years and was amazed to see an S-class or E-class Mercedes with a four cylinder engines. BMW 725`s with the four cyclinder engines were not uncommon either. Big luxury cars with tiny engines. I`m still not sure where they parked those land yachts...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Im more interested in seeing the return of V6’s instead of all this turbo 4 banger crap, but i fear its too late for that. Theyve already marketed it too hard as being a better car and consumers seem to be fine with it.
    Honestly there`s nothing wrong with turbo 4`s, I really think it`s the way to go. Weighs less and has the same if not more power, plus better economy.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

To me driving dynamics has much more to do with handling than raw power. When you grew up in the 70`s-80`s you understand what lack of power is. Quick crisp handling on a curvy road is just a blast to me. That`s just me though.
    Likes Desertnate, Nutbread liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Honestly there`s nothing wrong with turbo 4`s, I really think it`s the way to go. Weighs less and has the same if not more power, plus better economy.
    Generally I have to agree, but it depends on the application. For most small to medium sized cars I`d agree. However, I`ve driven a couple heavier cars and SUV`s which were not well suited. In those cases a boosted or even N/A V6 would probably have been best.

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    To me driving dynamics has much more to do with handling than raw power. When you grew up in the 70`s-80`s you understand what lack of power is. Quick crisp handling on a curvy road is just a blast to me. That`s just me though.
    So very true about the lack of power. The floaty, wallowing suspensions didn`t help matters either. Also agree on the quick handling on a tightly curved back roads. There are some I drive for fun where a larger, heavier car would be ill suited. However a small, tight, lightweight car is an absolute blast.
    Likes Coleroad, Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

EPA or whoever, I just want to see more innovations with cleaner diesels.

The tech is out there to get the emissions to play nicely with their better fuel economy. takes less work to refine, more energy density per unit volume, just need the emissions to match.

Someday...
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    Generally I have to agree, but it depends on the application. For most small to medium sized cars I`d agree. However, I`ve driven a couple heavier cars and SUV`s which were not well suited. In those cases a boosted or even N/A V6 would probably have been best.
    Guess I didn`t take that into account. I drive smaller cars, so, heh. The turbo 4 in my GTI has been excellent, although I guess you could call it a hot rod version. On highway runs I can get almost 40 mpg. Gonna be hard to get it back from mother once the other car gets fixed, lol.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes Coleroad, nickclark08 liked this post

Just a little south of the Mason Dixon Line
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    I can remember back then it seemed like every time a magazine tested a performance car it was slower than last years model. It truly was a depressing time. If you would have told me back then what kind of cars we would be driving in 40 years I never would have believed you. We truly are living in the golden age of automotive performance. Even the firebreathers of the sixties would be shown the taillights of a modern car, and couldn`t touch it in drivability or fuel economy.
    The devil made me do it the first time.
    The second time I done it on my own.

The only good thing about getting old is no longer having to worry about dying young.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I still remember the tiny - believe it was either 1.5 or 2.0L - 4-cylinder BMW built to go race Formula-1 back in the early 80`s..

It had a big turbo on it and put out something like 1,200 hp, scared seasoned F-1 drivers when they put the pedal down, the turbo kicked in and it broke the tires loose as speeds well over 100mph...

BMW dominated F-1 for a couple of years back then until Ferrari complained enough, and then the ````logation rule came out and of course no one in their right mind was going to build a car that fast for the general public..

I have always been intrigued by those fast 4-cylinders and awhile back, even considered buying an Audi A4 with that motor, but then heard nothing but heartache stories from owners who had to put lots of oil in them to go anywhere..

And when I asked the Audi Dealers nearest me about it, they would NOT comment on the oil use issue at all !!
    So, no sale, Bucky...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I see both sides of the argument turbo 4`s vs. 6 or 8 cylinders. As with my politics, I took the moderate approach - twin turbo 6.

Atleson Detailing Service
    FB - https://www.facebook.com/AtlesonDetailing/
    WEB - https://sites.google.com/prod/view/a...detailing/home
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I still remember the tiny - believe it was either 1.5 or 2.0L - 4-cylinder BMW built to go race Formula-1 back in the early 80`s..

It had a big turbo on it and put out something like 1,200 hp, scared seasoned F-1 drivers when they put the pedal down, the turbo kicked in and it broke the tires loose as speeds well over 100mph...

BMW dominated F-1 for a couple of years back then until Ferrari complained enough, and then the ````logation rule came out and of course no one in their right mind was going to build a car that fast for the general public..
    Dan F
    Those big turbos in the 80`s were very raw. Jump in one of those air cooled 911 turbos, Nothing, nothing, bam! Those things took forever to spool up, then bam all the power was there. There was nothing progressive about those cars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information