Post Thanks / Like

kids and computers

My daughter is becoming a little more independent on the computer, so I`ve been thinking about what steps I need to take to block stuff I don`t want her to see. What all have you guys with kids done?

She likes getting on and watching videos and playing games on sites like pbs kids and national geographic kids, etc....I set up her own profile on our computer last night so she can`t make any changes to the computer and has things like safe search enabled on the browser and youtube. What else should I be doing?

I`m not a helicopter parent by any means, but I also don`t want her to have free range to search/see anything
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes Poorboy, Ronkh, Stokdgs, bobfic liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: kids and computers

We did not put up any blocks on our kids computers ... we tried to teach them what is appropriate and what is not ... they are now in college and good girls

Have real consequences and be the admin with her being a user .. you can always check up if you feel the need.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes Stokdgs, dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We monitor our sons social media feeds (ie Facebook). It has served us well. You have to teach them early that everything they post is permanent. What they post as teenagers will stay with them forever. Digital parenting is hard and time consuming. They will play the old song “All the other parents let their kids do it”. I just say “I’m not all the other parents” do it my way. My son is now 17, makes A’s and works at the nursing home after school and weekends. I’m proud of him.

Post Thanks / Like

We`re a long way from any social media accounts

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure their putters are on safe search.

As far as other stuff, be ready fro questions. You`ll find out where they`ve been.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Love the Feedback ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thank You !!!!!!!!

It will always be about - Balance - how much "real world" feedback vs how much "digital world" feedback...

How much is more meaningful.. How much is real and eternal vs social media (the fantasy part) and temporal..

I have personally looked upon all this stuff as only a "tool" to use and nothing else.. It helps me find out about subjects I need to learn about, and allows me to communicate with loved ones and not on any of the popular social media choices.. But that is just me...

And the absolute best way to ever teach as Parents will always be - by example -

I know of many families (including my own) that have been destroyed because of too much social media leading to addiction, to bad things, to the total desensitization of a good conscience, and on down that broad, attractive, full of fellow users, path to no place but sadness..

In the end we all need our little ones to come out of life very well rounded with a good idea of all things, and always knowing that their Parents put Boundaries on them because we absolutely LOVE THEM SO MUCH...
    Dan F
    Thanks Ronkh, GearHead_1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- Apologies in advance for the following, which doesn`t address your Qs

Gee, at one time certain parents (the good kind) would put a lot into discussing *Bambi and Dumbo* lest those movies have a negative impact on their kids. Let kids watch The Three Stooges, let alone The Honeymooners, unsupervised??? Not a chance..."the kid might turn out bad and we can`t have that".

Sorta-random thoughts follow:

-Some parents love their kids and want what`s best for them, others don`t
    -Different kids can require different types of child rearing
    -Hypocritical parenting can lead to cynical children, which can lead to, uhm...negative outcomes
    -Many kids can (and do) bypass any presumed parental controls undetected
    -There are things you can`t unsee or unknow and kids oughta be shielded from some of those things until they`re mature enough to process them properly
    -I don`t believe that mere exposure to [bad stuff] necessarily leads to [bad behavior] but sometimes it does, especially absent a mature, informed perspective and/or after desensitization
    -Pre-Internet the same stuff was available to those with certain abilities/resources who would put in the effort, but now it`s easy for most anyone to access it..including those immature, cynical, desensitized children who are used to outsmarting their elders with regard to getting away with stuff
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My boss was telling our team this morning how he was just at a school where kids in the 1st grade were learning how to code! Something tells me kids today are probably more knowledgeable about computers then we are....just saying.
    Likes House of Wax, Ronkh, Stokdgs, DBAILEY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Kids can graduate high school around here with a Cisco CCNA.
    Likes Stokdgs, House of Wax liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DBAILEY View Post
    Kids can graduate high school around here with a Cisco CCNA.
    DBAILEY --
    That is great news to hear !!!
    Tell them to develop their skillsets in all things Cisco and there will be great jobs at Verizon for them.. Verizon has thousands of Cisco boxes for all things Network, and always needs good people to work with them..
    I know this personally because I was there when VZW was putting all that equipment in..

Great company, great benefits, profit sharing, 401k, lots of opportunities..

Saw this little company formerly called AirTouch Cellular back in the early 90`s grow to the industry standard of today..
    Dan F
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Thread Information