Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: No power but light bulbs faint glow?

BSEE
    MSEE
    just completed a 15 cr grad program in elec power engineering
    PE in multiple states
    30+ years of experience....in power engineering

this is what I`ve learned
    do NOT let the smoke outta the wires
    if followed, all will be good
    ////AMG

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Heh heh, good thing they did at least label the breakers (only found a few that were mislabeled)...would`ve driven me nuts otherwise.

And those multi-story builds must`ve been very educational.

Heh heh, I *do* know about the "Brass Bar" and the perils of water..guess I know just enough to *NOT* be dangerous to myself

This thread reminds me that I need to get an electrician over here to attend to a few things in the Shop (absolutely *NOT* DIYing any of that).. one pair of 8` tubes that won`t start up, one outlet that does scary stuff if I try to use it, GFI that trips too often for no apparent reason..probably more.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artm3 View Post
    ..[lots of competence and thus]...
    this is what I`ve learned
    do NOT let the smoke outta the wires
    if followed, all will be good
    Heh heh, that was good

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Accumulator -

Yes, we all do learn, and learn from mistakes..

It is always good to label the breakers whenever you are in a panel (if they are not already labeled) so it`s much easier to know what each controls, when things might be in a crisis mode, etc..

We are all happy to help and I believe at one time, there were at least 1-2 Electricians on here... Not sure of their names anymore, but they may see this thread and pop in..

I was blessed to help build giant multi-story buildings from bare ground, and since my expertise was all Telecom, I had to work with all the Electrical, Cable, Fiber, etc., Contractors that put in all wiring including electrical, which was all huge 3-Phase boxes, etc..

But I was as a much braver, sillier, youth, plugging breakers into Hot, house panels, so as to not inconvenience the people inside.. (the house painting gig)
    The secret there is to NOT EVER touch the Buss Bar that the breakers plug into, or you will die... Secret -2 - Never stand in water while servicing Electrical anything.. Water is an excellent conductor of electricity.....
    Dan F
    I`ll admit, I`m an electrician too. I did my apprenticeship in the IBEW but moved on.
    To add, I always wear safety glasses when in a hot panel.
    One oops could take an eye with hot molten metal.
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnF350 View Post
    Well that made me blink.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Stokdgs- Heh heh, good thing they did at least label the breakers (only found a few that were mislabeled)...would`ve driven me nuts otherwise.

And those multi-story builds must`ve been very educational.

Heh heh, I *do* know about the "Brass Bar" and the perils of water..guess I know just enough to *NOT* be dangerous to myself

This thread reminds me that I need to get an electrician over here to attend to a few things in the Shop (absolutely *NOT* DIYing any of that).. one pair of 8` tubes that won`t start up, one outlet that does scary stuff if I try to use it, GFI that trips too often for no apparent reason..probably more.
    Accumulator --

The fixture that wont start up - probably the Ballast is going out or has gone out.. If you know you have power to that fixture, and the tubes are good, then its usually the Ballast.. It is easier to replace the Ballast when the fixture is on a workbench, but it can be replaced with the fixture in the air, its just a little harder.. You have to cut the ballast wires off, remove it, replace it, and wire nut the wires back to the right light wires, hot wire, etc....
    Sometimes, the dang Ballast is as much or more than a new Fixture.. Go figure... Greedy people..
    You already knew that..

The outlet that does erratic things - there is at least 1 loose wire in there, or the outlet is really old and/or is going bad..
    It that outlet has the wires pushed into the back of it, that is not the best way to connect to an outlet but people do it because its faster..
    The most positive connection will always be the nuts on the side of the outlet.. Screwdriver them down tight..

GFI/GFCI - the outlets you Love to hate when they act up... Is this an GFI outlet that has the 2 buttons in the center of it, or is this outlet wired to a GFI Breaker in one of your panels ?
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnF350 View Post
    I`ll admit, I`m an electrician too. I did my apprenticeship in the IBEW but moved on.
    To add, I always wear safety glasses when in a hot panel.
    Yeah, Shawn !!!
    I remember now, thanks for the reminder..
    Hope you guys are all doing good !
    Didn`t know you moved on..
    What I know from all the Electricians I have ever known and worked with, it`s a really hard, dangerous, job!!!! And Electrocution is Forever...
    Dan F
    Likes ShawnF350 liked this post
    Thanks ShawnF350 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Accumulator --

The fixture that wont start up - probably the Ballast is going out or has gone out.. If you know you have power to that fixture, and the tubes are good, then its usually the Ballast..
    That`s what I figured...but this one is at the peak of a cathedral ceiling so I won`t by DIYing it, can just *barely* change the tubes with my tallest ladder propped on top of some high blocks.

The outlet that does erratic things - there is at least 1 loose wire in there..
    Again, as I figured. I`ll shut it down and take a look some day, if I don`t get to it I`ll have it done with the light fixture.

Is this an GFI outlet that has the 2 buttons in the center of it, or is this outlet wired to a GFI Breaker in one of your panels ?
    The former. It hasn`t been acting up lately, but I haven`t plugged the Extractor`s heater cord into it for a while either (IIRC that what usually trips it).

Post Thanks / Like

That`s what I figured...but this one is at the peak of a cathedral ceiling so I won`t by DIYing it, can just *barely* change the tubes with my tallest ladder propped on top of some high blocks.

Again, as I figured. I`ll shut it down and take a look some day, if I don`t get to it I`ll have it done with the light fixture.

The former. It hasn`t been acting up lately, but I haven`t plugged the Extractor`s heater cord into it for a while either (IIRC that what usually trips it).

Is that GFI circuit at least a 20amp circuit ? If not, then the extractor heater is too much for it, and its getting hot in there.. Or, its just another finicky outlet..

I try to avoid GFI circuits for anything because they are just annoying.. Yes, they can save lives of people who are for example, standing in water, using a hair dryer, etc., but I will never be one of those people..

That one outlet that goes crazy sometimes - just taking off the plate, unscrewing the long top and bottom screws and carefully pulling it out, will usually pull the loose wire out or you will be able to see it..

I do these things all the time hot; just don`t touch the side screws, and only use 1 hand to grab the top and bottom of the outlet..

I usually put some black friction tape on all 4 of the side screws so they dont touch something when I am moving the hot outlet around, etc..
    Of course, if you turn off the power to that outlet, then none of this applies..

Glad you have your things figured out..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Heh heh, you`re being good for my ego as I`m thinking "yeah, right, figured as much, etc." to your last responses on this stuff But I`m gonna trip the breaker just to be on the safe side.

I`m OK with GFIs being where they are in the shop as I do sometimes spray a lot of water everywhere...that one is just, uhm...sensitive under high loads.

And yeah, the Century`s need for two (moderately) high amp circuits has taught me a thing or two that I didn`t really need to know otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumalator --

I know what you mean regarding your Century; the Mytee HP60 with the internal 1200w heater needs a 20 amp circuit to be happy.. It will be better still if those garage circuits are dedicated only to the garage and are of course then pulled in with 12awg wire all the way to the breaker panel..
    This is how I have always wired up my garages, and you know, I hope this house I`m living in today will be the last one I ever have to do.. This stuff makes one tired after a while..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Yeah, this was to be, and hopefully is, our "forever house" and we tried (with some success) to get it right.

The Shop where I detail (AKA the "New Garage" as opposed to the original 3 car one that`s part of the house) has dedicated systems for the utilities; that`s one of the four breaker boxes we have. Just unfortunate that the Last Straw with the original electrical contractor happened to be that part of the job...I could have some stuff rectified if it were unbearable but after 18 years I`ve pretty much gotten used to it and it`s close enough to OK that I`ll probably just [gripe] and moan about it. I have (barely) enough separate circuits that it`s workable.

I have an unused 220v (?240v? see how little I know..) that I`d thought I might use for a welder that I might eventually set that up as a separate high-amp circuit to make things easier. But of course it`s over at the wrong end of the shop! Downside of having things nicely finished is that I can`t easily change much of anything... "oh, we`ll just tear open the basic structure and..." Uh, no thanks, I`ll live with it as is

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Yeah, this was to be, and hopefully is, our "forever house" and we tried (with some success) to get it right.

The Shop where I detail (AKA the "New Garage" as opposed to the original 3 car one that`s part of the house) has dedicated systems for the utilities; that`s one of the four breaker boxes we have. Just unfortunate that the Last Straw with the original electrical contractor happened to be that part of the job...I could have some stuff rectified if it were unbearable but after 18 years I`ve pretty much gotten used to it and it`s close enough to OK that I`ll probably just [gripe] and moan about it. I have (barely) enough separate circuits that it`s workable.

I have an unused 220v (?240v? see how little I know..) that I`d thought I might use for a welder that I might eventually set that up as a separate high-amp circuit to make things easier. But of course it`s over at the wrong end of the shop! Downside of having things nicely finished is that I can`t easily change much of anything... "oh, we`ll just tear open the basic structure and..." Uh, no thanks, I`ll live with it as is

Accumulator --
    Hope you guys are doing ok with that awful weather !

Great that this one will be the forever house ! One can only do this so many times, and well.... you know....

That 220 or 240 circuit can run a big air compressor.. Or, another Dryer...

I have a nice old, but in new condition Craftsman 220v air compressor, but my little power box is about maxed out and I would then have to run another ckt into the already finished garage.. Probably not going to do it.. And I`m not going to paint in the garage anymore either.. Only other use for it would be to blow out microfiber pads, that I hardly ever use..
    And then you have to hear it all the time, unless you have a really big garage - hint-hint - and can build a little room for it..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs- Heh heh...I`m already covered on the big(ish) compressor, it has the 220 right next to the unused one. And yeah, it does make a bit of noise but I`m used to it (have had one in every shop) and it doesn`t leak down much so it doesn`t run unless I`m using it. Heh heh, no more rooms going in anyhow! The Garage Bath already eats up enough of the Shop Floor, can`t even justify having a lift.

But then it also gets back to how the Shop is built, all the air lines are set in the concrete/epoxy-stone floor, so that compressor setup is permanent for better or worse (ditto for the water lines).

Already got the Dryer on its own too, so the Welder one really is an EXTRA circuit I could put to use.

I dunno how you get by without having your compressor hooked up, it`d drive me nuts to have it there unused! But then I use mine every time I do much of anything, couldn`t get by without it really.

And we escaped any real Winter Weather this time Just enough light snow to look pretty (and make a mess of the A8).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information