Post Thanks / Like

A New Drying Towel and it`s not MF

I`ve been using some of my older *new* WW towels as drying towels for dishes. At the same time, I have this one that is WW, but super thin, and more like a 8x8 square. Anyhow, the super thin WW seems to work better with the dishes....maybe due to thinner, it primes faster (dunno). The regular WW squares feel nowhere as soft when dry as this 8x8 super thing WW...

Fast forward this weekend. Just for the helluva it, I picked up this cheesecloth type drying towel from the local ethnic market...
    Maybe it`s just that THIN IS IN, but this no-name cotton cheesecloth type towel outpaces all the former MF WW towels when used just to dry dishes. I can`t explain it....just short of the fact of the fiber composition, it wicks water and once I just hang it back on the oven handle, it dries quick !

LOL, to think. I was going to order me up on my next order from TRC a PP just to see if this would be a good DW towel.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A New Drying Towel and it`s not MF

Platinum pluffel is a great dish towel. I wasn’t as big a fan of them on the car so there are several that now permanently live in my kitchen.

Post Thanks / Like

Have seen this cheesecloth but not tried it. The name thou is strange LOL. But don`t judge it by that and maybe it`s something new material that is as good or even better than mf. Fun to see new technology comes in the play.

Post Thanks / Like

mobledynamics:
    For drying dishes, flour sack cloths (a thin cotton cloth) have been used for many years as a drying towel. I used these LONG before microfibers came on to the scene for a number of vehicle detailing wiping chores. Cotton cloths are still a good way of wiping off vinyl/plastic protectants, as they do not seem to absorb a lot of protectant you put on like a microfiber, leaving some plastics looking "blotchy".

I also think that The Rag Company sells some silver thread-infused microfibers for wiping. The silver in them acts as a natural disinfectant/anti-microbial. It`s true! Long before refrigeration was available, farmers would throw a clean silver dollar into a pitcher of milk to keep it from spoiling and turning rancid while it sat in the pie-pantry cupboard ( and with cheese cloth over it to keep the flies out) for use throughout the day. It`s some thing to consider if you are using microfibers for washing and drying dishes.

Here`s another side note to anti-microbial/disinfectants. A new study by a major university has found that cell-phones are ten times more "infected" with viruses and microbes than a toilet seat. Think about it! Where do many people place there cell phones down in public places: on tables, on bars, on work-desk countertops. Think of what cell phones pick up from these surfaces and then you hold it up to your face. You can wipe your hands with waterless hand sanitizer many times a day, but unless you are wiping off your cellphone/smart phone several times a day with the same sanitizer, you are susceptible to all kinds of air-borne pathogens and disease-causing illnesses. It may be one of the reasons that MANY are becoming sick with influenza: it`s being transmitted through cellphone use.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Here`s another side note to anti-microbial/disinfectants. A new study a major university has found that cell-phones are ten times more "infected" with viruses and microbes than a toilet seat. Think about it! Where do many people place there cell phones down in public places: on tables, on bars, on work-desk countertops. Think of what cell phones pick up from these surfaces and then you hold it up to your face. You can wipe your hands with waterless hand sanitizer many times a day, but unless you are wiping off your cellphone/smart phone several times a day with the same sanitizer, you are susceptible to all kinds of air-borne pathogens and disease-causing illnesses. It may be one of the reasons that MANY are becoming sick with influenza: it`s being transmitted through cellphone use.
    or one can just give up the cell. I quit using one after people quit want to use them to actually talk on. I don`t miss having one. Like today my son has a dr`s appointment. My son and I will sit in the waiting room and talk. Makes for good time together, same for the car ride. I look around and see other families with their phones ignoring each other.
    I do have cell phones, one in each car. They are inactivated ones I could call 911 if I needed too. I also get there`s many who have to have cell phones for work, my wife being one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Have seen this cheesecloth but not tried it. The name thou is strange LOL. But don`t judge it by that and maybe it`s something new material that is as good or even better than mf. Fun to see new technology comes in the play.
    I actually think this is old tech....probably some PRC no name cottom towel. But, I was quite surprised as it wicks water faster and the is so thin, it dires fast to boot ! Heh, maybe we overthink it , thinking MF is the end all be all of towel materials ya know...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    ..A new study by a major university has found that cell-phones are ten times more "infected" with viruses and microbes than a toilet seat. Think about it! Where do many people place there cell phones down in public places: on tables, on bars, on work-desk countertops....
    Really?!? Why would anybody do that?!? I`m astounded....sheesh, the things people do.

Post Thanks / Like

Coleroad- My wife and I are close to your position on cells, but as a Security Device an active cell with camera has a lot going for it. "I am recording your behavior and live-streaming it to LE" can be a powerful tool. But otherwise, I use my cell maybe twice annually, if that, unless I`m traveling.

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies to all. What started as a thread on cotton towels and cotton cheese cloth fabric as drying mediums has "morphed" (AKA, been hi-Jacked) into cellphone and the viruses, pathogens, and heath illnesses that they carry. That was because of my mentioning silver-infused microfiber cloths/towels being a natural anti-microbial agent for use as kitchen dish washing and drying and then to microbes on cellphones

Anyway, it was NOT that long ago when natural fibers and products used to permeate car detailing. Cotton or terry cloth towels, boar hair brushes, Chamois drying towels, sea sponges, wool pads, cheese cloth (tack-cloth) for pre-paint wipe downs, carnauba wax, vinegar and water glass-cleaner, rubbing (wood) alcohol for solvent. Just sayin`..
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    or one can just give up the cell. I quit using one after people quit want to use them to actually talk on. I don`t miss having one. Like today my son has a dr`s appointment. My son and I will sit in the waiting room and talk. Makes for good time together, same for the car ride. I look around and see other families with their phones ignoring each other.
    (OH, oh! More thread hijacking by Captain Obvious) Funny you should make this statement as USA Today had an article/editorial on this VERY subject and how it was ruining family vacations and travel in general. So much so that Marriott hotels are offering "device detox" rooms devoid of internet connections and TVs and filling them with books and board games and having guests surrender electronic devices of all types during their stay. I think its true: this Y2K generation is unable to function without a smart-phone or I-pad in their hands and family-get-away time is non-existent as long as parents are "tethered" (connected and enslaved) to their workplace via an electronic device. Theme parks (and anywhere you walk in public!) now face the problem that distracted devise- immersed person-to-person collisions/accidents are occurring with greater frequency. This is the new social health epidemic: distracted pedestrians.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I`m guilty and I did not even realized I was guilty....work always to some degree has got me connected to my phone. I make it a effort to not be on it when I`m with the lil ones...

When my lil one was just 3 years old, he told me to give him my phone when we started to play . I figured he just wanted to watch Youtube for Kids !! Yes, for all you old geezers, there is a youtube app just for kids...

Anyhow, he takes my phone and puts it into his lego bag and tells me I will get it back when we were done playing.

I kid you not. A 3 year old, recognizing that at times, I`m not ~in the moment~. I felt so crushed and defeated that day.

Thread Information