Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Super Bowl ticket prices.

$36K and still not able to watch the commercials? I hate to see what they`d charge for a beer. Forget that. I`ll stay home, eat great home-cooked food, drink good beer, watch the funny commercials, and enjoy the only NFL game I`ll watch all year in the comfort of my home surrounded by family. Worth WAY more than $36K!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

My stand out there is 11$ coke, then 6$ water. food isnt way off other than the bottomless popcorn 15$ which you cant get a refill on with out waiting 30 minutes and missing the game.

Post Thanks / Like

Friday before the game and it still isn`t sold out. Even if I had the money, I wouldn`t want to go Minnesota In February. It`s just to cold!!!
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So, I`m a Philly dude - born & raised...Live in the suburbs now - but am in the city maybe once a month for restaurants, etc...

I have zero interest in football. Didn`t even really know when the super bowl was til yesterday. Never really watched a football game in my life.. Could care less who wins - has zero impact on my life.

That being said - I say - make the tickets as expensive as people are willing to pay. If someone wants to pay a $250k for a ticket - sounds legit. $100 for a Coors Light in a plastic cup (that`s an 8oz cup). $60 hot dogs - mustard an extra $10. Want French fries? They`re $1 - per fry.

I just laugh. People that have some emotional connection to football and feel compelled to be all wrapped up in it...

Some women came in my pharmacy yesterday and was saying she has to drop her kids off somewhere when she & her husband watch the Eagles play on TV cuz she can`t control herself and may curse screaming at the TV or break something.

Wha? Dunno.

Post Thanks / Like

My two-cents on this, since I AM from Title Town (AKA, Green Bay, WI) and live within the shadows of the Frozen Tundra of Lambeau Field, home of the NFL Packers:
    It is a microcosm of what the economics of professional sports are in general to this American society and the monetary importance we place on them.
    Do I think that professional in ALL sports are over-paid?? NO, because the fans are willing to pay that ticket price for admission to see them. To me, the players are part of what I would deem a free-enterprise/free-market economy in America. This ever-escalating professional player salary WILL stop when the stadiums are no longer full or when fans no longer buy the team`s apparel and items with their logo`s on them or stop patronizing the team`s sponsors or corporate partners. It`s a pretty simple economic law of supply-and-demand: the players demand the money and fans supply it (along with TV network`s revenue; but that is another issue all in its self. Look at your cable TV or smart-phone streaming bill!)
    From what I am reading here in this thread, most of us agree that the Super Bowl prices for ANY thing associated with this event are insane nor are most of you willing to part with your free-income to actually attend this event. I am NOT a Packer season ticket-holder; it simply is beyond my means and is NOT a huge priority for me personally to attend these games (I do, however, when someone offers a free ticket!! How can you say "NO" to attend an always sold-out Packer game for free, unless it`s -15°F in December! ). Do I benefit financially by having the Packer`s play in town? Yes, because I park cars for a "nominal fee" on my lawn and in my driveway, as do MANY home-owners here in this vicinity. It pays for some of my detailing hobby supplies and but mostly for every-day-living-necessity expenses.
    That said, I think American society`s infatuation and economic emphasis on sports at ALL levels in general really tells what we consider important to us. It is difficult to say this because teachers, public safety personnel, police personnel are no longer looked upon as respectable professions. That could also be extended to day-care/child-care providers who take care of our young children and nursing home/assisted living personnel who take care of our grandparents or parents.

I am sorry if this sounds like an opinionated Autopian (it is) and boring you as you read this. I will ask you this: What is important to you, personally? How are you spending your time and money? Only you know the answer.
    GB detailer
    Likes shortspark, Tc99m, LEDetailng, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If pro athletes were paid based on the likes of my viewing habits, attendance to events, corporate patronage and team merchandising. Aaron Rodger would be lucky to break six figures a year

Post Thanks / Like

Drag Racing kind of went the same way. Back when we could still afford it pit passes were $17.00 a piece so the Wife and I could go there for $34.00. Then they started going up to the point that it was quite a chunk to go there. My weekly paycheck was not rising enough to justify the splurge as everything else was increasing also.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

There`s no snow in the game day forecast, but the predicted high is 7 degrees, with a low of 5 below zero. Factor in the wind chill, and it likely will feel below zero the whole day.

thCAWBUJBY.jpg
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes trashmanssd, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I just laugh. People that have some emotional connection to football and feel compelled to be all wrapped up in it...

Some women came in my pharmacy yesterday and was saying she has to drop her kids off somewhere when she & her husband watch the Eagles play on TV cuz she can`t control herself and may curse screaming at the TV or break something.

Wha? Dunno.
    I feel the same way about most pro sports, though I am hooked on endurance auto racing and NHL hockey these days. I used to watch more football a lot more, but seeing all the people who let it consume their lives and would schedule their lives around a game, to include missing their kids activities, left a bad taste in my mouth. In the end, it`s nothing but a form of entertainment and not that different than going to a movie.

As a military reservist, this will be the first Superbowl I`ll be able to watch in years. I normally am travelling home and miss the whole game or at least a big portion of it...followed by passing out and sleeping through what`s left. Should be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post
    If pro athletes were paid based on the likes of my viewing habits, attendance to events, corporate patronage and team merchandising. Aaron Rodger would be lucky to break six figures a year
    If Pro athlete salaries when up at the same rate of economic inflation as when Packer hall-of-fame quarterback Bart Starr signed his first contract with Green Bay in 1956, A-Rod WOULD only be making six-figures!! When Bart Starr won the first Super Bowl in 1967, he made $100,000 and that included a $15,000 bonus for winning that inaugural Super Bowl!!

Too bad players are not paid like the World Football League did: one for winning the game; a lesser amount if they loose.

I also laugh when the Packers played the Cleveland Browns in Cleveland in November. Ticket prices for admission: $35 -$50 on the open market! This is in comparison to a $150 - $225 average ticket price on the open market for a (always sold-out) November game for the Packers, WITHOUT Aaron Rodgers playing.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    Drag Racing kind of went the same way. Back when we could still afford it pit passes were $17.00 a piece so the Wife and I could go there for $34.00. Then they started going up to the point that it was quite a chunk to go there. My weekly paycheck was not rising enough to justify the splurge as everything else was increasing also.

Dave
    IMHO Drag racing is not a spectator sport. Once your truly involved you`ll never be satisfied just watching.

If I had the amount of money it costs to go to a fancy concert or to the super bowl I think I`d rather use it for a Veterans organization of maybe St Jude----I`d like what I see in the mirror better.
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

WeatherTech is going to have a Super Bowl commercial.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post
    Ticket pricing is utterly ridiculous nowadays. My son is nine years old and I`ve decided against taking him to a Supercross every year due to the cost.

This year I decided that I need to bite the bullet and take him. I bought two $48 tickets, that`s it, and the order total was $137.50.

My wife and I have seen Bon Jovi in concert five or six times and they`re coming to our neck of the woods soon. Tickets about twenty-six rows back cost $550 each. I`m guessing the total for two seats would be $1300–$1400. So we`re definitely not going.

I don`t know how there are sellouts at these prices.
    Kind of reminds me of Taylor Swifts tour this year. a couple hundred for nosebleeds. Give me a break. Im not a Tay Tay fan at all and even if I was I would never pay those prices ever. I went to a Deftones concert in Wichita last year at a small venue (awesome) and I paid $35.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, having watched the majority of the SuperBowls except when I was gone in the USAF, it is sad to observe as the players get paid these astronomical salaries, their production as professional football players has degraded to the point that it is not even fun to watch anymore..

Any of you guys that played football in school, remember how they taught us to put your headgear in the guys chest when you tackled him as hard as you could and drive him backwards ??? You ran toward him, full speed, and put it on him - when was the last time you saw anyone doing that today??

Anything past the line of scrimmage, these lightweights, defensive backs, etc., they look like girls out there just gingerly putting a hand out as the guy runs past them full speed.. It`s sad...

Someone is hurt about every other down, has to be carted off the field.. etc..

Speaking of Green Bay, way back before Lonnie was born, the Green Bay Packers were some of the toughest real men football players around...
    Both Defensive and Offensive players, toughest, hardest hitting, knock you on your a$$ men in football..

And they always got up and walked back to the huddle, no crying, rolling around on the snow covered field, etc...
    And none of them even dreamed what some of these lightweight guys would be getting paid today - for what ??????

It is getting less and less fun to watch it even casually....
    It has evolved into too much drama, making it "my own agenda even though I suck as an athlete", bunch of selfish whiners club for way too many..

Thank goodness for the remaining really great men who play great football out there and work hard every down, if it weren`t for them, it would not be real football any longer...
    Dan F
    Likes Lonnie, ShakingHorizons liked this post

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information