Post Thanks / Like

Any RC Heads - I need some skooling in the world of LIPO/AC/DC

I know there are some younger guys in here. Or maybe even some older that have tinkered with RC cars.
    Hopefully some Autopian brothers can help a old man out.

New Dad with the oldest one that has suddenly gone from ABC songs to NERF guns....
    So I got two nerf guns mosfetted them, rewired it for Lipos...
    It was a slippery slope in modding.
    I love modding so I went all in.
    Got me a bada(*# iCharger Duo 4010 with a Meanwell 2000 PSU.
    Skool of hard knocks. Learned how to keep batteries in storage mode when not in use ?

Anyhow, got the wiring for AC nicely done. SO wire, spade terminals, etc.

Can anyone shed some light on the silicone wire that is commonly used in the RC/DC world.
    For the EC5 cable that connects to the PSU, I cut the tinned lead and have the right sized terminals I want to crimp ono the huge buss bars on the PSU. The jacket on the wire says 10AWG but when I strip it, it sure looks larger than 10 . Borderline 8 Wire.

Anyhow, called the RC supplier where I bought my goods and he told me I should just snip some off to make it fit into the terminal. He also noted that most of the wire is nor all copper or all aluminum, but a mix of nickel and that it all looks tinned.
    WTF am I missing. I was under the impression wire is either all CU or AL. Is it different in RC world of things.
    Is 10AWG CU different in the DC world of things ?
    I feel like it may be tinned wire but why would you use tin, given the application/enviroment

I used to think I was some young buff but my 4 year old is making me feel old ;-)
    LOL, I jump on youtube to watch nerf videos so I can talk nerf with him. I`ve never nerfed when I was younger !

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any RC Heads - I need some skooling in the world of Lips/AC/DC

Former RC heli nerd here- still have all the gear, just don’t get free time as much with the little one.

I cant answer your question about the wiring, but lipos can be a fire hazard (not sensationalizing -I had one puff up and explode on me because I accidentally shorted it). Always balance charge, and don’t leave them charging unattended, etc.

Dont mean to preach, so sorry if coming off that way. I just heard a lot of stories back in my heli days of “I almost burnt down my man cave”.

Not being a debbie downer I swear. have fun with those nerf guns!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nick - I`ve been reading on/off. Are lipo`s safe just being in the *gun* or anything that it is being used it.
    Is the issue more about during charging. I know they make lipo firesafe bags and stuff...

I did say this. I tried doing a balance discharge (both batts were of same v) and either I did it in wrong order, but someone during the process, it did create some magic smoke. turned out of the pins on the balance board came off during the process of hooking it up. Only realized this, when the charger was not reading the cells on battery

Post Thanks / Like

Ok so I started typing a reply, and then remembered a site that has a wealth of information regarding lipos

https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html

this guy explains it way better than I could ever do. Long read, so grab a cold one and sit back.

In a nutshell, batteries are fine in the gun, as long as you aren’t drawing too much current or over discharging them. You are correct, danger normally comes into play when charging or improperly discharging them.

The web link above goes much deeper into the logic and “how and why” this can happen.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Any RC Heads - I need some skooling in the world of LIPO/AC/DC

I`m pretty deep into rc helis, I do occasionally fly quads, planes and have a few cars too. My full size cars have lipos too. Any RC Heads - I need some skooling in the world of Lips/AC/DC

The danger with the batteries is mostly when connecting them, if the wires short, fire is immanent. They put out such high current that the wires weld themselves instantly. Charging also is also a danger, but less so.

You also want to treat them well, nothing kills them faster than completely discharging them. Get a $10 lipo battery checker and don`t drain them below 20%. If the batteries puff a bit, they are going downhill. If they bloat, they are a fire hazard.
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dan, what are you flying? I got bit by the heli bug after getting a Blade MSR, then invested in a TREX 450 pro Flybar. Learned to hover on that thing then converted FBL with non DFC head and (ancient by now) AR 7200 BX. Daughter was born in 2015 and haven’t picked up the radio since I used to be pretty active on Helifreak
    happy flying!

Post Thanks / Like

Thx guys for the link and feedback. I think the error in the short or not and I really don`t recall what order I connected them, was some sites say when connecting via balance board, connect hi vol 1st and then the balance cables to the board. Some say, it doesn`t matter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Thx guys for the link and feedback. I think the error in the short or not and I really don`t recall what order I connected them, was some sites say when connecting via balance board, connect hi vol 1st and then the balance cables to the board. Some say, it doesn`t matter
    Always connect the full power first is what I learned. And be ready to rip out ASAP if you hear a pop. That has saved me a few times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nickclark08 View Post
    Dan, what are you flying? I got bit by the heli bug after getting a Blade MSR, then invested in a TREX 450 pro Flybar. Learned to hover on that thing then converted FBL with non DFC head and (ancient by now) AR 7200 BX. Daughter was born in 2015 and haven’t picked up the radio since I used to be pretty active on Helifreak
    happy flying!
    Ha, the non dfc head is back! Flybar is not. A lot has changed in the time you`ve been gone. I got bit bad by the bug after my daughter was born and I put away the sportbikes. I have a few 450s, a couple of 500s, a 550, a 700 and lots of micros. Good to hear I`m not the only heli geek!
    Likes nickclark08 liked this post

Thread Information