Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flashlights - Opinions wanted (Non detailing related)

In another thread recently, I saw Accumulator mention it`s been a while since there was a flashlight thread. The timing works out perfectly, as I`m looking to upgrade my current flashlight situation for work. Working on cars, a good light is about as important to me as my thumbs and index fingers. Throughout my career, I`ve had a TON of different lights.

TLDR Version - Please share with me small penlight style lights you`ve had good luck with (and your use case), or front-pocketable higher intensity (tactical?) lights.

Quick list for my requirements - Brightness, click/press style power button (no spin cap style), good warranty is preferred.

The Long Version - To get a feel for where I`m coming from, my recent lighting history:

My daily go to for a long time was the basic Streamlight Pro pen light. 2x AAA`s, approx 50 lumens (I`m sure the last one I used was an older version; looks like new ones are 90?). Adequate, but since it lives in my shirt pocket, a bit long. I also tended to keep an extra power switch in my box as these would fail.

Next I moved to a Coast HP2 - 85 lumen, single AAA, adjustable focus beam. Definitely liked the smaller size. The only knock against it is that it`s not that bright once you get spoiled by other lights.

I briefly used a Snap On 2x AAA penlight - 144 lumens (30 on low), but the biggest drawback - Twist on VS push/click button. I hated this interface so much, despite having cost $50+, it sits in my drawer. When twisting on, part of the time it would register being spun on as a double press on the momentary button which triggers the low beam. Hugely inconvenient.

Enter LED Lenser. My Matco guy brought in a 1000 lumen F1R to demo, and I was hooked. This was obviously going to be a pants pocket light (no belt clips for me - can`t risk scratching a car), at about 4.5" long and an inch or so in diameter. I bought one, and used it in tandem with my HP2 light (depending on whichever was closest, length of time on, brightness needed, etc). Run time on high wasn`t quite as long as advertised, but I`d usually run it on medium. Unfortunately, one of my pairs of work pants has unusually shallow pockets, and it slipped out unbeknownst to me in a customer`s car and I haven`t seen it since. :facepalm:

Having had such good luck with the F1R, this led me to replace my HP2 coast light with an LED Lenser M3R - Single AAA size, but uses a rechargeable Li-ion battery. 220 lumens, adjustable focus beam. This light I like so much, I bought a second to have as a spare in case my primary had to get sent out for warranty (5 year warranty, have had to use it a couple times). My only complaint is that you pay for the lumens - battery lifespan seems to be pretty low. The warranty covers the batteries as well, but it`s a bit inconvenient now that we lost our Matco guy (now I have to contact LED Lenser directly). That level of brightness in such a small package has really spoiled dimmer lights for me.

Historically, I`ve always done off-the-shelf lights. I would consider modifying one if there`s a can`t-be-beat setup I`m missing out on.

Thanks for reading!!! Looking forward to lights to check out.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flashlights - Opinions wanted (Non detailing related)

Oneheadlight- I have one of those Streamlight pens too! Gift from the patriarch of the family behind ESC Tuning and as such it`s a cherished possession even if it`s not all that bright.

We have those little LED lights that fit on a keychain, but those aren`t what I consider a "real flashlight". Better than nothing though.

My smallest EDC that`s still a real flashlight is a twist-on/off. No, I don`t like it *NEARLY* as much as my Malkoff/Surefire E1 and I`d hate to go tactical with it, but it`s barely larger than its CR123 so I`ll have it on me. At least it really does do what I tell it to, never ends up on the wrong setting and being Accumulator-proof is worth as much as lumens to me...well, almost.

That M3R sounds so interesting that I`m forcing myself to *NOT* look into it
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

this milwaukee is a great small flashlight

https://youtu.be/F8mD1QgkYUk

Post Thanks / Like

I daily carry an Olight s-1 baton. love it. up to 500 lumens and you can clip it on your hat for hands-free work. Magnetic tail cap.

https://olightworld.com/olight-s1-baton
    Likes The Driver, Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

try these .. I use them for everything from dog walking to working on small projects .. hands are free and they last a decent time ..3 AAA .. it also tilts for different angles

https://m.costco.com/Coast-Headlamps...&storeId=10301
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com
    Likes The Guz, Oneheadlite liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve had great luck with Thrunite flashlights - bought three in the past year. They have a number of "everyday carry" style lights.
    Likes nickclark08, Oneheadlite, The Driver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Streamlight
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes nickclark08, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A great inexpensive light is the BLF A6, it was on sale last week for 29.99 with a battery

Budget light forum is a great resource for all things flashlight, and flashlight related.
    Thanks Oneheadlite thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.fenix-store.com/
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards
    Likes nickclark08, Oneheadlite, dschribs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This one should do the trick:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStmsIyGldA&t=12s

Just watch the whole video, but the interesting stuff starts at 9:20.
    Thanks nickclark08 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have had every type of torch possible and high end detailing lights.

The Olight R50 is the best BAR NONE. 2500 lumens, single cell, usb chargerable, built like a tank and the best bang for the buck at 70$ with the cell included.

Search ebay for olight store direct and make an offer.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else here have a First Light Tomahawk? My and I use ours more than all our other lights combined. Not conventionally configured, might not be to anybody else`s taste, but we love ours.

Also, anybody else make regular use of red/green/blue filters to preserve night vision? Sorry if that`s all off-topic,but for tactical use I sometimes care about that.

Thedriver- Yeah, Olight made my little EDC. Not hyper-lumen or anything, but handy.

Post Thanks / Like

I carry a Four 7s one battery light. For what I use it for, works great. Nice and bright in high mode. A few different settings. S.o.s and strobe settings also

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely love my Fenix PD32, use it daily at work and around the house. Pushbutton on/off located on the tail, 5 brightness selections 5,50,150,400,900 lumens accessed by pushbutton on the handle.
    Purchased the 3500 mAh rechargeable batteries to go with it so can run couple of weeks before recharging.
    Likes The Driver, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have the PD32 as well, excellent light. i use that as my work light when I work on the car. The R50 replaced PD32, I carry it with me in the car at all times.

3 other of my fave lights are...

Olight I3E, best EDC keychain light ever. - Waterproof
    Thrunite TN36UT, amazing power and still tiny. - Waterproof.
    Olight X7R, sheer power and USB C chargerable - NOT waterproof.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information