Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Deads were always my favorite. Nothing like ripping a few hundred pounds off the floor! Simply out of the question with my back issues now, though.

And chin up for me was always palms down, pull up= palms up.

palms down for a back exercise, palms up for a great bicep exercise
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, sounds like you and I had the same idea on the chins/pullups.

And yeah on both the value of Deads (and how some people still shouldn`t do `em) and how the Pullups are good for Bis (just don`t tear anything ).

I gather the latter don`t work for me because of my degree of, of..oh what is it?...?Valgus?..and hyperpronation. I do kinda simulate the movement using a Lat Pulldown Machine and a somewhat narrow grip on a cambered/EZ bar, maybe one set monthly or so. Good "elbows forward" movement even for somebody like me who has to do it with that bar.

Q: Do you think that your prior Deadlifting contributed to your back issues? The guy I know who shouldn`t do `em but does anyhow is almost certainly in that boat. Heh heh..yeah, he`s literally ADDICTED to that "rip a load off the floor!" experience.

Post Thanks / Like

And I was serious about using "baby weights" on Good Mornings; I don`t go over 50-some pounds on an Ironmind Appolon`s Axle, but I do pretty many reps. I`m just *NOT* a really strong guy and I don`t want to come across like I think I`m some macho strongman (though I *am* pretty OK on the weighted chins).

OK, once again...enough posting, gotta do lift before that Denny`s bfast wears off!

Post Thanks / Like

I cant rule it out but I really dont think so. Other than once or twice very early on having a little soreness from high rep deadlifting when i was first learning, I cant recall ever hurting my back doing deads. Though i did tweak my backon e or twice before doing a 5x5 and learning how to squat properly. Shortly thereafter i learnes not to ever do high rep deads. Utter waste and asking for injury to do any more than 5 reps in a set of deads.

Only real lifting injury pertained to my shoulder. Had to drop presses and even back squats for a while because i couldnt handle any weight at all on my shoulder. Though that gave me the time to learn to front squat properly, and not like every idiot in the gym. Of course, they looked at me like i was the weird one.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Heh heh, yeah...on the very rare occasions where I train in a gym people give me some awfully funny looks and just keep doing stuff incorrectly with the inevitable, and obvious, results.

Yeah#2, I no longer do any barbell benchpresses or barbell back squats. Seldom do Front or Zercher Squats, but will upon occasion. My squatting is really all about the Zane Leg Blaster and those Hip Belt Squats these days, easy to combine plates and bands with both of `em. That ZLB would really be the [stuff] for me if my arms were a bit longer, but it`s OK.

Oh man do I want to design/build some proper exercise equipment! Got these (IMO ) great ideas but no way to manifest `em. My Hip Belt Squat setup is one *very* cobbled-together, improvised, grab bag of compromises, yet works so well...if only I could optimize the ideas behind it!

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else use a Dynamic Axial Resistance Device ("DARD") to work the Tibialis Anterior on the front side of the lower leg?

It filled that area in nicely for me, but sure did take a while; went a long time between the initial results and any subsequent visible progress, but I`m glad I kept at it. Nice to have some padding on the front of the shins.

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator- Are you familiar with Drew Baye? Just came across him, a sort of HIT expert. Gonna do a bit of reading/watching
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Accumulator- Are you familiar with Drew Baye?
    No, never heard of him! I`ll be interested to hear a Cliff`s Notes on his approach if you find anything of interest.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya know, one thing that surprises me about may HIT programs is how long they are. I mean...when I`m maxing out, I just can`t do it for long. "Do [whatever] and repeat it [however many] times"; gee, I`m sometimes *literally* lying on the floor after just a few intervals on that AirDyne, and more to the point so were the Olympic Speedskaters in Tabata`s study.

Eh, I`m sure lots of guys can run a mile at a faster pace than I can sprint across the room But still...to do it week after week, forever? That`d be impressive as all get out (regardless of whether it`d be a good idea).

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody here do Burpees?

I can`t do the "with pushup" version as it causes injuries, and to be honest I just don`t do `em very often, but I still think they`re a pretty good movement. IMO, if every out-of-shape person just did a few minutes of Burpees every few days they`d be better off.

Post Thanks / Like

I do 8 count bodybuilders with the calistenics workout i was doing. Very similar to a burpee.I also omit the pushups. Great all around exercise, but i think theyre how i strained my calf muscle. Dropped all that with the new stuff im doing.

My HIIT sessions generally last about 12-13 minutes and I usually do 6 intervals. Takes about 40 seconds of me going all out for the monitor and my HR to catch up to each other.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Hey, that`s interesting how you strained your calf doing those! And yeah...can`t do everything.

I bet the longer recovery intervals make all the diff and that sounds really good, recovering in ~40sec. My rest intervals are just enough to be able to do the next work one so my HR doesn`t really drop much until I move on to the cooldown routine (NOT saying that`s optimal, just how I do `em). I messed up a while ago and accidentally did a "reverse interval" (1:2 instead of 2:1) on the AirDyne, and !oh man! what a difference that made! For once it wasn`t such a horrible experience, didn`t mind making that little oops! at all

Let`s see...my longest rest interval is 20 seconds, plus whatever time it takes me to push the "speed" button up/down on the StairM`s console. It`s 16sec on the workout I do most often, and of course 10sec when using the AirDyne.

Post Thanks / Like

No, i mean i go all out for 40 seconds, though its actually more like 32-33. Just takes about 40 seconds for the HR im looking for to reflect on the monitor. Recovery interval is about 1:20.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, OK...now I follow. I bet you`re pretty well recovered after ~80sec.

40sec is as long as I go for Work Intervals too, do five of those on my (relatively) Easy Cardio days. I drop the time to 32sec on the Harder/Longer Stair days when I do ten intervals. All after the usual warmup of course; I do try to move on quickly so my HR doesn`t drop much between the end of the warmup and the actual Cardio Work session.

Gee, bet I`d run out of steam *fast* if I did 40sec. all-out on the AirDyne!

Post Thanks / Like

Things that make you go Hmm....

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-...nked-longevity

On my 2nd consecutive water fast day. Surprisingly less uncomfortable than I was expecting. Moved my exercise schedule around to accommodate it so will do my kettlebell HIIT tomorrow (while still fasted) instead of eccentric weight.

Page 11 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread Information