Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Health and Fitness Thread

mjlinane- Heh heh, I would`ve absolutely wanted assistance too! Three pieces sounds pretty manageable though, guess that`s not as heavy as I was expecting.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LashingStanley View Post
    I agree on the smith machine feeling completely unnatural. Literally the only thing I use it for is reverse lunges.
    Ah, OK, gotcha.
    How old are you??..You must be seriously fit to have a 31" waist...
    57, going on 58. Heh heh, I figure that every year I get better since just not falling behind is something and I keep finding little ways to improve

..do you tend to store excess fat in your glutes and thighs? If I start overeating virtually every single ounce of fat my body stores in my lower belly..
    I`m like you, it`d all end up on my abs and I loose definition on the lower areas first. But I never get so bad as to completely lose definition/visible vascularity even down there. The ongoing goal is to turn the 6-pack into a well defined 10-pack, making gradual, incremental progress, oughta be really good by the time I hit 60.

..I have a friend that does bodybuilding and when he bulks...I can`t believe I used to think that bulking and cutting was the best way to put on muscle...
    Yeah, a guy I know my age, (Neuromuscular Therapist no less) is still doing it that way even though he readily admits that I`m in basically (his version of) pre-contest condition all the time and he tells my wife he`d be OK with looking like me. Gee, why won`t he just listen?!? We`ve quit telling him..he knows, he just won`t/can`t do it. Just like he literally can`t stop himself from doing lifts/workouts that he knows/admits are counterproductive! Some people...hey, at least he is in good condition for late 50s so whatever works for ya.

This is probably embarrassing to admit, but I`ve learned a ton from watching Jeff Cavaliere of AthleanX youtube videos over the past 5 years. I don`t follow his program but I think his videos are motivational and I feel like he is a good guy and generally a straight shooter. He`s big on intensity and makes it very clear that there are no shortcuts...
    IMO there`s no reason to be embarrassed about *anything* that benefits you! I get inspiration from all sorts of stuff I`d usually rolleyes about and I get all sorts of useful info from guys I disagree with about 99% of everything. I use the Cafeteria Approach to it all, taking what`s for me and leaving the rest.

FWIW, guys I keep learning from while often disagreeing: Clarence Bass, Dick Winnet, Ralph Carpinelli. Those are the ones I can think of offhand who are still alive. (And/but I have differing results/experiences/opinions than those guys a whole lot too.)

Do you follow anyone on youtube?
    Heh heh...Nope. Not exercise, detailing, anything at all. Just not my scene and yes indeed I`m probably shortchanging myself by being that way Pretty much all I use YouTube for is music/videos for background music while lifting, and autotech/home repair how-to.

.. I`m not sure what type of briefs you wear but I HIGHLY recommend trying the Under Armour BoxerJock boxer briefs.
    Their briefs won`t work for me as I require the Bikini style with nothing over my legs. Wouldn`t mind paying that $20, lots cheaper than some makers.

I do wear UnderArmour polos (the loose-fit ones) when [training] in hot conditions, very comfortable. Though their anti-odor tech is so lacking that they`re nearly disposables for me (talk about pricey, one/two wearings... ).

Heh heh, I got a good snicker out of your joshin` about one`s package Heh heh#2, wearing stuff that might bring attention to mine isn`t how I roll I don`t even where shirts that show off my arms if I can help it, sometimes even wearing long sleeve dress shirts when others are in Ts or polos.
    Likes LashingStanley liked this post
    Thanks LashingStanley thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Weekly check in (Sunday): 170.6/~16% body fat. Down another belt notch. Definitely need to buy new pants. I am starting to appreciate Accumulator`s situation about finding pants that will fit.

Kind of thinking this is where I will bottom out in terms of weight. Plan is to rearrange the body composition from now on.

Adding protein fasting (<15g) to the regimen for detox purposes. This kind of makes for a protein cycling routine where 2 days/week is protein heavy (my exercise days), 1 or 2 days/week protein fasts and the rest my "normal" moderate protein intake. Another N=1 experiment.

Post Thanks / Like

mjlinane- I`ll be interested to hear how the Protein Fasting works for you. When I dropped my protein intake it was like I had some wasting disease, truly astonishing how the muscle seemed to simply disappear! Bodyfat actually increased too, it was, uhm....a kinda dramatic experiment

I really like how you`ll be concentrating on the composition rather than the weight! IMO the whole "what I weigh" thing is, uhm..pretty irrelevant.

It`s really goofy about the "finding clothes that fit"! It`s not like I`m some heavily muscled "bodybuilder" or anything, basically just built like I figure guys oughta be. But the way they cut clothes these days is simply weird IMO. Even polos...and it wasn`t always like that; I have some old polos from the `80s-`90s, that fit me perfectly.

Today`s men`s clothing seems cut for: pipecleaner arms and legs, zero glutes, big waist in front of an otherwise small torso, and very wide feet. Just utterly...wrong. Try fitting those clothes on a classical Greek/Roman statue of a man- no go.

Post Thanks / Like

As it is short term (~36 hours), research is saying it does not affect muscles. It basically triggers the body to go clean out and "bad" proteins laying about. Guess we`ll find out.

Yes, even when heavier, nothing quite fit "right". Especially now that my waist is 30-31", my thighs and rear are way better suited for today`s 36s. When I was 36", those parts screamed for 38s. And so on....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    As it is short term (~36 hours)....
    Ah, OK, that wasn`t what I was thinking.

What`s the idea behind cleaning out those "bad proteins"?

You`re really focused on detox, huh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    You`re really focused on detox, huh?
    Yes, I am.

Bad, malformed proteins are everywhere in the food we eat - and not just the bad stuff. And, like many things, they just pile up in corners because the body would rather use "good" proteins. Theory is cataracts and other similar blockages are caused by this.

Heavy metals are similar. They accumulate over time (no offense ). After a certain point, they cause illness from toxicity.

Studying a lot of anti-aging strategies. I don`t just want to live to 200. I want to be healthy and active at 200.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Yes, I am.

Bad, malformed proteins are everywhere in the food we eat - and not just the bad stuff. And, like many things, they just pile up in corners because the body would rather use "good" proteins. Theory is cataracts and other similar blockages are caused by this. Heavy metals are similar. They accumulate over time (no offense ). After a certain point, they cause illness from toxicity.

Studying a lot of anti-aging strategies. I don`t just want to live to 200. I want to be healthy and active at 200.
    ugh. I was feeling pretty good about myself for trying to incorporate more vegetables, nuts, legumes and trying to eat around 1 gram of protein per my body weight.

Now I find out that my body is storing a bunch of "bad" protein. This is almost as devastating as finding out that studies determined eating my weight in avocados and coconut oil daily wasn`t actually good for me. At least recent studies have shown that sodium actually isn`t as bad for you as they once thought.... so I`ve been supplementing all those avocados and coconut oil with hot pockets and tv dinners.

Whats next? All the Sun Chips I eat that are clearly labelled "all-natural" aren`t actually super healthy and good for me?

Post Thanks / Like

"Bad" is is poor wording on my part. Should have been "damaged from cooking" in this case.

Whenever you see stuff on package labeling ("good source of protein", "heart healthy", etc.), remember they are comparing to cigarettes in general. Quinoa nutrition labels clearly indicate it is a good source of carbs with a bit of protein - so you`d pay a large calorie hit for a small amount of protein. Bananas has a fraction of the potassium of an avocado but with tons more sugar. And so on.
    Likes LashingStanley liked this post
    Thanks LashingStanley thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

mjlinane- Huh, interesting, never ran across any of that before. Still don`t get the science behind the "proteins building up in corners"/etc....not flaming, just unfamiliar, so if you ever run across some studies on it I`d appreciate your passing them along.

I did, of course I know about the heavy metals, but always figured those were related to dietary/environmental factors. Not getting too much lead exposure has been a priority of mine at various times, usually in settings were others were, uhm...not as concerned and looked at me funny

Post Thanks / Like

mjlinane- Huh, interesting, never ran across any of that before. Still don`t get the science behind the "proteins building up in corners"/etc....not flaming, just unfamiliar, so if you ever run across some studies on it I`d appreciate your passing them along.
    Here is as close as I`m going to get (study cited with link): https://blog.bulletproof.com/autopha...etoxification/. More concerned with other factors but where I found the idea of short, intermittent protein fasts. As it costs literally nothing for me to do, I`ll sign up for the N=1.

Post Thanks / Like

mjlinane- Thanks for the link! One of their links didn`t work, but I was able to access two of the studies and better acquaint myself with the underlying data. I don`t see how the folks at Bulletproof came to their conclusions, but hey...as you said it costs you nothing and whatever works for you works for you.

(Absolutely not discounting the value of stuff like cellular turnover, just going about it differently.)

Post Thanks / Like

Shoulders have been nothing me, so gave them a few days rest. Got I today and swam 25 laps, did some interval training on the elliptical and a calisthenics circuit. Sat in the sauna for about 30 minutes after. Apple Watch tells me all that burned about 900 calories.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    .. Apple Watch tells me all that burned about 900 calories.
    You think that`s accurate?

The StairMaster/etc. say I burn [a gazillion] calories but I don`t believe it.

Post Thanks / Like

You think that`s accurate?

The StairMaster/etc. say I burn [a gazillion] calories but I don`t believe it.
    I have no idea. It was more than my usual workouts, and I’ll chalk that up to getting my HR up so high. All I can really do is look at it in a comparative sense.

Got up and basically did the same workout today before work, though a bit abbreviated- managed to do it in about an hour. Skipped the sauna. That was 650 calories according to the watch.

Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread Information