Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Yeah for me...So, up until 2 days ago - I had no idea what I weighed... But as a reward for loosing some weight - I decided to buy myself a new Schott leather jacket. These jackets are expensive for me - $800 & and are ordered actual size (42, 44, etc..). So, to get the right size I had to buy a scale & weigh myself..And - down 71 lbs since this time last year. BMI initially 39 down to 28 now....Funny, I guessed my weight within 2 lbs.

People say it`s so hard to loose weight as you get older. I dunno. I think it`s actually pretty easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    For a 6` tall, 55 year old, yes. First time out of the Overweight/Obese range in more than 30 years..
    That`s really great! Too many guys our age are going the other way, and fast. After all those years of being heavy it`s even more impressive.

I did get my dates on the body fat % wrong. It was 2 weeks for the 2% reduction..
    I actually like that kind of incremental/gradual progress better. IMO it`s more likely to stay on-track that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Swanicyouth- Gee, that`s some great progress you`ve had too! Seventy. One. Pounds. Wow.

And I like the idea of rewarding yourself with that jacket, bet you`ll stay motivated to keep fitting into it OK.

As best I can tell (and it`s also been my experience), it gets "harder to lose weight as you age" because of a loss of TypeII Muscle Fibers. Same reason people get fatter on the same diet as they age. I`m probably the only person I know IRL who still takes in as many calories as when I was young without gaining fat and I figure it`s because I`ve stayed in shape.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    So that’s just 4 IR bulbs and a space heater?
    Yep - heat lamps from Lowe’s (probably no longer available). The space heater preheats the small room prior to using. I turn it off when I go in and turn on the lamps.

My yet-to-be-delivered far-IR sauna is a wood & glass room with the elements and a stereo. Much nicer looking but far, far more $$$$.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Swanicyouth- Gee, that`s some great progress you`ve had too! Seventy. One. Pounds. Wow.

And I like the idea of rewarding yourself with that jacket, bet you`ll stay motivated to keep fitting into it OK.

As best I can tell (and it`s also been my experience), it gets "harder to lose weight as you age" because of a loss of TypeII Muscle Fibers. Same reason people get fatter on the same diet as they age. I`m probably the only person I know IRL who still takes in as many calories as when I was young without gaining fat and I figure it`s because I`ve stayed in shape.
    Thanks. I think the secret is just one word: exercise. Find some type of exercise you can do for a significant amount of time several days a week. If it`s too intense - you will hate it and won`t be able to keep it up.

Honestly, I don`t even really diet. I try to eat low fat during the day & don`t drink stuff with sugar in it. Eat whatever I want about 1/2 the nights for diner. Go out to eat a lot. Drink alcohol whenever I want.

Post Thanks / Like

Swanicyouth- Heh heh, you and I are the exact opposite on some things, but the same on others!

Opposite- IMO I hardly do any exercise quantitatively speaking, but what I do is extremely intense. Been doing it that way for so long that no matter how unpleasant it is, I`ll do it anyhow...just wired that way and it works best for me so there`s some positive reinforcement to keep me at it. Different strokes and all that, but you`re absolutely right that you gotta find what`s right for *YOU* and the primary thing is to find something you actually will do, year in year out, forever. IMO that "forever" part is crucial since the older we get the more critical it is.

Same (basically)- The "I don`t diet, just eat sensibly" is my approach too. I don`t mind fats as long as they`re the right kind, I just hate (and thus find it easy to avoid) empty calories. Same ol` thing- gotta find something you`ll stick with.

Post Thanks / Like

Today`s arrival:

2018 Health and Fitness Thread-farirsauna_small.jpg

Will be trying out in about an hour.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Ronkh, nickclark08, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I barely carried a propane tank to my new grill in back.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes mjlinane, GearHead_1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    I barely carried a propane tank to my new grill in back.
    But those steaks were worth it right?
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    But those steaks were worth it right?
    Oh yeah they were.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator, first of all I love the stairmaster. I used to run cross country in high school and for another 2 years in college and my knees are shot. But now days I don`t think I could do 20 minutes of an intense stairmaster unless there were paramedics standing by.lol

That said, I love the stairmaster and its the only aerobic activity I do now days.

I see you do two different types of squats and leg curls on your leg day. Do you not incorporate any lunges? Have you tried reverse lunges on the smith machine? My legs seem to grow so much faster than my glutes. It seems like no matter how deep I squat I can never activate my glutes like I can with reverse lunges and bulgarian split squats.

Post Thanks / Like

mjlinane- Gee, that`s quite something! How was it delivered?

Lashingstanley- Heh heh, you and I might be the only Stairmaster fans here (Did a quickie on it this morning.) Heh heh, no matter how hard I do it, it`s an absolute walk in the park compared to that Airdyne! All I did was the Stair for ages, but to really push myself I decided to go back to the Airdyne (which no longer bothers my knees the way it used to).

I no longer do (the Work portion of) my cardio for as long as 20 minutes. It`s that "go hard or go long, can`t do both" thing. Since shortening the (work) sessions dramatically *EVERYTHING* is better for me, incredibly so. Best change I`ve ever made since I`ve been working out was limiting the frequency and duration of my workouts (both cardio and resistance). Never woulda thunk it, never will get over it..

I`ve posted before about my knees..."you`d better plan on bilateral replacement"... but zero problems as long as I don`t do stuff that bugs them, which just happens to include, wait for it...lunges. No matter what form I use, it ends up bugging them so I don`t do those. But then I basically don`t do *anything* other than what I know for certain works for me (especially where my legs are concerned).

I don`t have a Smith Machine. The times I tried it, the purely straight motion was too unnatural for me.

I don`t get much for my glutes out of squats unless I go really wide, like Hindu Squats, and that`s another thing that`s really unnatural and also hurts my knees, so I don`t do them often. If I do my Good Mornings and Semi-straight ("Romanian style") Deadlifts right I can hit them good. It`s kinda funny, I basically don`t prioritize them yet they`re among my best bodyparts!

Actually, my glute development has become a little bit of an issue in that its` hard to find briefs/pants that fit me properly! Between my glutes and the size of my upper legs I have to buy Large briefs/etc. even though I have a ~31" waist, have to have dress slacks made-to-measure and casual ones extensively tailored...[freakin`] pricey PIA.

Post Thanks / Like

Lashingstanley- Heh heh, you and I might be the only Stairmaster fans here (Did a quickie on it this morning.) Heh heh, no matter how hard I do it, it`s an absolute walk in the park compared to that Airdyne! All I did was the Stair for ages, but to really push myself I decided to go back to the Airdyne (which no longer bothers my knees the way it used to).

I no longer do (the Work portion of) my cardio for as long as 20 minutes. It`s that "go hard or go long, can`t do both" thing. Since shortening the (work) sessions dramatically *EVERYTHING* is better for me, incredibly so. Best change I`ve ever made since I`ve been working out was limiting the frequency and duration of my workouts (both cardio and resistance). Never woulda thunk it, never will get over it..

I`ve posted before about my knees..."you`d better plan on bilateral replacement"... but zero problems as long as I don`t do stuff that bugs them, which just happens to include, wait for it...lunges. No matter what form I use, it ends up bugging them so I don`t do those. But then I basically don`t do *anything* other than what I know for certain works for me (especially where my legs are concerned).

I don`t have a Smith Machine. The times I tried it, the purely straight motion was too unnatural for me.

I don`t get much for my glutes out of squats unless I go really wide, like Hindu Squats, and that`s another thing that`s really unnatural and also hurts my knees, so I don`t do them often. If I do my Good Mornings and Semi-straight ("Romanian style") Deadlifts right I can hit them good. It`s kinda funny, I basically don`t prioritize them yet they`re among my best bodyparts!

Actually, my glute development has become a little bit of an issue in that its` hard to find briefs/pants that fit me properly! Between my glutes and the size of my upper legs I have to buy Large briefs/etc. even though I have a ~31" waist, have to have dress slacks made-to-measure and casual ones extensively tailored...[freakin`] pricey PIA.
    I agree on the smith machine feeling completely unnatural. Literally the only thing I use it for is reverse lunges.

How old are you?? That`s amazing. You must be seriously fit to have a 31" waist. Even though you probably don`t have much fat, do you tend to store excess fat in your glutes and thighs? If I start overeating virtually every single ounce of fat my body stores in my lower belly. It`s the worst. I have a friend that does bodybuilding and when he bulks the first place he starts storing fat is in his legs and his glutes. I`ve always envied him for having defined abs even when he`s bulking but he said it`s not that great because he ends up carrying all of it in his lower body.

Looking back, I can`t believe I used to think that bulking and cutting was the best way to put on muscle. This is probably embarrassing to admit, but I`ve learned a ton from watching Jeff Cavaliere of AthleanX youtube videos over the past 5 years. I don`t follow his program but I think his videos are motivational and I feel like he is a good guy and generally a straight shooter. He`s big on intensity and makes it very clear that there are no shortcuts. Do you follow anyone on youtube?

By the way, I`m not sure what type of briefs you wear but I HIGHLY recommend trying the Under Armour BoxerJock boxer briefs. They are like $15-20 a for a single pair but they are the most comfortable underwear on earth.....These boxer briefs are the best thing that ever happened to growers vs showers.lol They actually make your junk LOOK bigger. Even though the women that are kind enough to sleep with me will still inevitably end up disappointed, nowadays there`s a little more suspense.lol

Post Thanks / Like

18-wheeler and 3 surprisingly small but (kind of) heavy but really awkward boxes on a pallet. According to Amazon, total was something like 350 lbs/450 lbs with shipping. Don`t think is anywhere nearly that heavy. (Or my eccentric exercises are really working. ) Could probably have moved and assembled by myself but, as was going upstairs into my exercise room, a second person was much appreciated. Took maybe 30 min to put together. Loving so far.

Post Thanks / Like

How the [flip] do I keep forgetting this?!?

Every time I work upper legs I do an additional movement that I keep omitting

Single leg bent-knee leg raises. Bend knee so toes barely touch ground. Place resistance (I use weights + elastic) right behind knee, raise leg, hold, lower (but not enough for toes to touch down and allow rest).

Works the rectus femoris and supposedly the abs, though I never really feel it in the latter.

There, got it posted before forgetting it again

Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread Information