Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Far infrared gets into the 130-140F range but the main sweat inducing mechanism is through the infrared itself. Should get 40-60 min without (huge) distress. It penetrates deep into the body and is (theoretically) more effective at driving out the toxins than normal sweating. Can read, watch videos on your phone, whatever. Mine has a built-in stereo system with speakers.

Near infrared is (generally) less controlled and a bit lower in temp. You are using heat lamps (yes, like for burgers at McD) for crying out loud. Story goes the body has mechanisms that respond well to those wavelengths. Like I typed, for <$100, I`ll do the N=1.

Steam saunas are typically in the 180-190F range. Work with steam, after all. 10-20 min can be tough for the faint-hearted. (Ha! I crack myself up some times. )

Theoretically, following a workout with any of these is extremely beneficial - more so than an ice bath.

Now cold/cryo- stress, that is a whole other thing I am exploring....

Post Thanks / Like

mjlinane- Thanks for schooling me, very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    ..Can read, watch videos on your phone, whatever...
    Heh heh..[INSERT quip about having a phone that does stuff like that ]

Theoretically, following a workout with any of these is extremely beneficial - more so than an ice bath.
    That`s another thing I`ll never be doing...ice baths. I gather that some people find such measures beneficial though, so OK whatever works for ya...

Now cold/cryo- stress, that is a whole other thing I am exploring....
    Same "whatever works.." there.

Not at all being critical, just constantly surprised at the lengths people go to. Maybe because the, uhm...less in-shape...people I know IRL think that *I* am off-the-scale and IMO I hardly do any real hassling around with diet/exercise.

Actually, IMO I hardly spend any time at all exercising, and most of the "time in the weight room" is spent messing with the equipment and resting between sets. Meals? Over and done in a matter of minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That`s another thing I`ll never be doing...ice baths. I gather that some people find such measures beneficial though, so OK whatever works for ya...
    The cold stress story goes something like this: cold encourages development of mitochondria-rich BAT (Brown Adipose Tissue) fat as compared to the "normal", mitochondria-poor WAT (White Adipose Tissue) fat. Mitochondria are the energy centers of the cells and having more of them is good for you all the way around. So, as we must have fat for our body to function (structurally if nothing else), BAT is the way to go. Once you`ve had BAT... well, you know the rest.

I am doing the cold shower thing on non-workout days - the cheapest way to try it. NOT FUN. Repeat - NOT FUN AT ALL. It is tough being an N=1 though and will persevere until I decide if is helpful to me. Or not. Kinda` hopin` for the latter.

Thread Information