Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Health and Fitness Thread

mjlinane- IMO you and I are pretty much on the same page, just maybe...uhm...different books

Heh heh, I simply love reading medical journal articles. But then OTOH, I will not, cannot, spend one moment watching Detailing videos! Go figure, huh? I started reading the studies (and not just the summaries, which I`ve learned are, uhm...unreliable) when I found that the interpretations of others were, uhm...striving to be inoffensive here...different how *I* would interpret them.

Anyhoo...

I too do all my training at home. Luckily, I`ve, uhm...accumulated...a pretty extensive gym. That StairMaster PT4000 was a wedding present from way back in `89 and it`s still going strong. The AirDyne is something that I utterly HATE doing, but it`s effective, and those are dirt-cheap used (because anybody with any sense will hate it ).

What do you do for your HIIT cardio? My warm ups are almost always 5 min on the StairMaster (Blast Off Program, level 7), and my Work Sessions are all 2:1 intervals, with the Work portion done at maximum intensity..well, as close as I can come since the StairMaster doesn`t go all that fast (so the first few intervals just aren`t that demanding).

Hope you love the sauna! It it gonna be a huge hassle construction-wise?

Oh, and I don`t really want to build more muscle either, last time I made a good change I outgrew a fortune in clothing (but did end up right where I want to be). Eh, I`d think I must`ve hit my genetic potential ages ago, I mean...there`s only so much we can do or we`d be lifting skyscrapers. I just use that as my goal since apparently most guys my age are *losing* muscle or otherwise finding their performance diminished, and I absolutely don`t want that.
    Likes mjlinane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s something I`m still trying to figure out- Hamstrings and Delts are strongest in the stretched position (as opposed to everything else which`re strongest when contracted). How to accommodate that particular Strength Curve/Lengthening Factor?!?

The best I`ve come up with is to do those muscles with "1 and 1/4`s". I.e., I lift it up about 1/4 of the way, pause, lower slowly, and then do a full rep (that all equals "one rep"). Far from perfect, but better results than just doing straight reps.

Can`t help but think that there might be a better way...but how?!?

OK, enough posting...I suspect I`m just putting off today`s Leg Day Time to lift: two different types of Squats, one set Good Mornings, one set Leg Curls, one each of Standing and Seated Calf Raises, a set for the Tibialis Anteriors with the Dynamic Axial Resistance Device ("DARD"), then a set for abs...shudder...don`t have to like it, just have to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

My HIIT varies - depending on mood. Generally kettlebell swings (30s on, 30s off) until I hate life. (I like kettlebells.) Sometimes bodyweight stuff (commando planks, burpees, etc.). Gave away my exercise bike but did the Tabata in the day.

Sauna is a pre-fab kit so should be place, quarter turn latches and plug in. I hope.

Unreliable is being exceptionally kind. Even most studies really need to be scrutinized carefully. Many are designed to get a specific answer. (I worked in medical device industry for a decade. But WE never did that. ) N=1 is really the only way to be sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol I was waiting for this!

So 2017 was a horrible year for getting on track for me. I started my 2018 goals 1 week before Christmas this year with my low carb/ ketogenic diet as I had enough of not fitting into my clothes and just feel all around horrible. To be honest I follow a simplified approach and keep my carb intake below 30grams per day and maintain a good level of healthy fats and lean protein. Carb sources are dark leafy greens like Kale, Spinach, Chard. I also use shirataki noodles, and make my own zuchini pasta etc which is a great alternative.

Breakfast - Bulletproof coffee, 1tbsp ghee, 1tbsp Brain Oil (MCT Oils)
    Snack - 2-3 eggs scrambled, Avocado, salt and pepper, coconut oil
    Lunch - Lean Protein, Avocado, Spinach and Kale salad, home made ranch dressing or whatever I meal prep really which is Keto/ low carb, coconut oil etc.
    Snack - Avocado with Sea Salt/ Pepper
    Dinner - Bone Broth with 1tbsp ghee, 1 tbsp MCTs

I follow Primal Health Edge on Youtube. I feel he has the most simplistic and holistic approach to eating well and following a ketogenic/low carb diet. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zmWIy_9qn0

My workout schedule is finally solidified and I have been on it the past 3 weeks consistently:

Mon, Tues, Thurs - Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Wed, Fri, Sun - Stronglifts 5x5
    Saturdays - Reserved for cars/ time with family or working on lifting form with low weights/ bar

I installed a folding squat rack from Rogue Fitness in my garage and I love it. It takes up literally no space and I can still easily get both cars in when its folded away into the wall. This way I put my daughter to bed around 7pm and then go out and do my workout and I am usually done by 8pm to 8:15pm.

2018 Health and Fitness Thread-20180103_204417.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes jrock645, mjlinane, nickclark08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    My HIIT varies - depending on mood. Generally kettlebell swings (30s on, 30s off) until I hate life. (I like kettlebells.) Sometimes bodyweight stuff (commando planks, burpees, etc.). Gave away my exercise bike but did the Tabata in the day.

Sauna is a pre-fab kit so should be place, quarter turn latches and plug in. I hope.

Unreliable is being exceptionally kind. Even most studies really need to be scrutinized carefully. Many are designed to get a specific answer. (I worked in medical device industry for a decade. But WE never did that. ) N=1 is really the only way to be sure.
    Im still not real clear on what benefit there is to the sauna. I do it at the gym a couple times a week cause it feels good. Is there something to it beyond that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Im still not real clear on what benefit there is to the sauna. I do it at the gym a couple times a week cause it feels good. Is there something to it beyond that?
    The main benefit to saunas are related to the detox process - getting the heavy metals out of your body. Less but still important are improved sleep quality (probably second only to diet in terms of improving health), weight loss, inflammation & pain reduction, killing of parasites (and, by some reports, cancer cells), reducing Alzheimer`s risk, etc. Note - as I`ve typed above, I don`t actually read medical studies so take with a large grain of salt. Am willing to be the guinea pig (N=1) though.

I have a EMF-less far infrared unit on the way. I will likely be constructing a near infrared one also because it has different effects and will only cost me <$100 (250W heat lamps from Lowe`s, clamp lights from Amazon, a small room and a space heater which I already have). Steam saunas are said to be less effective (notably by manufacturers of infrared saunas) because they are hot enough that you can`t stay in as long. Whether the length of time meets the MED (Minimum Effective Dose - the point where no further benefits are realized) is never mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like

After whining about not looking forward to yesterday`s Leg Day I did a few things differently (from planned) and OK, all good. I`ve learned that whenever I experience a genuine aversion to [whatever] it`s probably good to pay attention.

mjlinane- Heh heh, I liked that "KB swings until I hate life" My wife loves her kettlebell, that`s for sure (weird adjustable one...hey, whatever she likes..).

I actually kinda like(d) Burpees! But the push-up part of `em kills my one/vulnerable shoulder and without that part of it they`re not demanding enough.

Unreliable is being exceptionally kind...
    Heh heh, given how "Exercise, Diet, Health, and Fitness" threads can be on the internet I want to bend over backwards to not be an [Omniscient Jerk].

And yeah..Studies often, uhm...fulfill an agenda other than "determining the facts"

RaydiantDetail- Hey, I like that folding squat rack! I`d expected something that`d be a huge PIA to actually use, but that looks great. I like that black oxide bar too, I`ve come to really *dislike* chromed ones as it eventually flakes off and chrome chips can be the devil.

jrock645- How`s this stuff going for *you* these days?

Post Thanks / Like

Diets- I`m constantly struck by how much...everything....many put into their diets! No, no, not criticizing at all! Just suspect that I`d never stay with something that involved. Well, OK..but it sounds involved to me.

I guess I just, well...mostly avoid [crappy] stuff and generally eat the right amount of decent stuff while drinking lots of water and megadosing Fish Oil (there he goes again with the Fish Oil!).

"Mostly avoid" = Denny`s Bfast on Friday, Hamburgers (plain) with chips and a soda on Saturday; Arby`s (not just two or three of `em) with chips and a soda on Sunday. No, I don`t greet Monday morning with discernible consequences from eating that [crap], lucky me

Fortunately, I just don`t like the common unhealthy fare, can barely even be in the same room with a lot of the most common stuff people eat (e.g., pizza). UNfortunately, I can`t force down stuff like kale, avocados, and a [boat] load of other stuff I oughta be eating.

Post Thanks / Like

mjlinane- What I know about saunas = "they`re not cold".

How hot does that thing get? To do some of the stuff you listed it must be pretty toasty!

Can you read books in one or would that, uhm...be a bad idea? I`d be kinda hard-pressed to just sit there unless I took up meditation or somesuch. The inner voice would be shouting "I have things to do!"

Hope the install goes as well as it seemingly oughta!

Post Thanks / Like

Far infrared gets into the 130-140F range but the main sweat inducing mechanism is through the infrared itself. Should get 40-60 min without (huge) distress. It penetrates deep into the body and is (theoretically) more effective at driving out the toxins than normal sweating. Can read, watch videos on your phone, whatever. Mine has a built-in stereo system with speakers.

Near infrared is (generally) less controlled and a bit lower in temp. You are using heat lamps (yes, like for burgers at McD) for crying out loud. Story goes the body has mechanisms that respond well to those wavelengths. Like I typed, for <$100, I`ll do the N=1.

Steam saunas are typically in the 180-190F range. Work with steam, after all. 10-20 min can be tough for the faint-hearted. (Ha! I crack myself up some times. )

Theoretically, following a workout with any of these is extremely beneficial - more so than an ice bath.

Now cold/cryo- stress, that is a whole other thing I am exploring....

Post Thanks / Like

You guys ever see those movies where they take the brain/consciousness/etc of an older gentleman, then put it in some younger man`s body? There`s a few movies like that out there.

Anyway. As I`m reading the OP, I start thinking about those movies. And I start thinking, with me and Accumulator, it would be the very first time you take the "mind" of the young man, and put it in the older man`s body!

Alright, Accumulator....let`s see what I can do this year.

Body fat: High (no numbers here, sorry)
    Weight: whoa. 182 this morning.

I did start the new year at 184.5

Goals? None yet.

Post Thanks / Like

mjlinane- Thanks for schooling me, very informative.

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    ..Can read, watch videos on your phone, whatever...
    Heh heh..[INSERT quip about having a phone that does stuff like that ]

Theoretically, following a workout with any of these is extremely beneficial - more so than an ice bath.
    That`s another thing I`ll never be doing...ice baths. I gather that some people find such measures beneficial though, so OK whatever works for ya...

Now cold/cryo- stress, that is a whole other thing I am exploring....
    Same "whatever works.." there.

Not at all being critical, just constantly surprised at the lengths people go to. Maybe because the, uhm...less in-shape...people I know IRL think that *I* am off-the-scale and IMO I hardly do any real hassling around with diet/exercise.

Actually, IMO I hardly spend any time at all exercising, and most of the "time in the weight room" is spent messing with the equipment and resting between sets. Meals? Over and done in a matter of minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- Heh heh, the older I get the "more in-shape" I seem to be, at least in the eyes of others

At least you`re down 2lbs so far. You and [she whose name I can`t pronounce] would have a challenge making the "healthy eating" thing your new normal though, huh?

Goals- How about "be in better shape a year from now". Some prefer specifics, I kinda lean towards the general at least as an overall perspective. "Quit ingesting [crap] regularly" might be another one. I`m simply amazed at the stuff people eat and drink all the time..."Do some form of physical activity at least every other day" comes to mind too.

Just don`t set the bar so high that it`s easy to fail.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    That`s another thing I`ll never be doing...ice baths. I gather that some people find such measures beneficial though, so OK whatever works for ya...
    The cold stress story goes something like this: cold encourages development of mitochondria-rich BAT (Brown Adipose Tissue) fat as compared to the "normal", mitochondria-poor WAT (White Adipose Tissue) fat. Mitochondria are the energy centers of the cells and having more of them is good for you all the way around. So, as we must have fat for our body to function (structurally if nothing else), BAT is the way to go. Once you`ve had BAT... well, you know the rest.

I am doing the cold shower thing on non-workout days - the cheapest way to try it. NOT FUN. Repeat - NOT FUN AT ALL. It is tough being an N=1 though and will persevere until I decide if is helpful to me. Or not. Kinda` hopin` for the latter.

Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information