Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    Only thing I can figure is I’ve got a much stronger upper body...
    You`re sure not alone there I never prioritized Legs until I`d been training for a looong time
    I like DOMS as long as I’m not really over stressing the muscle.
    Yeah, I readily admit I overkill things going for that. Probably contributes to my need for such long recovery periods between workouts.
    The calf stuff I don’t do much of anymore, I get plenty of calf work in doing squats and dead’s.
    Hey, that`s interesting! I *NEVER* feel my calves after Upper Leg work, never. Funny how well mine respond to just two-three sets every few weeks...that`s a big part of how I stumbled across the realization that (gee, Mentzer was right..) I was overtraining. People complimented my Calves of all things and I`d never prioritized them!

The guy is a fantastic motivator that for sure.
    Great that you have a training partner that you synch with. Many people get a *LOT* out of that, it really helps `em get in good workouts...lucky you!
    Agree on the pull ups. I do sets of 6 as that’s all I can crank out currently usually 4-6 sets of them.
    I wonder what`d happen if you only did, say....two sets of `em per workout. One with the torso basically perpendicular to the ground and the second leaning back at an angle. I`d do the second set with a parallel grip so you`re a little stronger (even if the Bis/Brachs are responsible for that). Heh heh...jrock645 is probably thinking "there he goes with the minimal workouts again!"
    They are always the first back movement due to the fact I haven’t fatigued the muscles yet.
    Yes *yes* *YES*! Exactly the same here.
    I generally vary the grip but usually shoulder width palms facing one another or wide grip palms facing away from me.
    I found (again, to my surprise) that the wide grip...which I thought would be "good for the stretch"/etc. wasn`t really *productive* with regard to getting bigger/stronger and might`ve been working things other than my Lats. I found that a slightly narrower-that-shoulder width grip produces the best results for me but maybe that`s just me. Had to basically force myself to do those instead of doing "one wide, one more narrow" etc. where I was doing quite a few sets telling myself "they`re all different". It was another case of what I read/believed was best, and what sure felt right, just wasn`t really right for me.

If you do the Pronated/palms-down ones first your back will get the biggest stimulus while it`s fresh and strong(est). I`d definitely go a bit narrow when doing the neutral/palms-facing ones.

Note that adding in some *unilateral* Lat Pulldowns can be incredibly beneficial. When both arms are working (Pullups/normal Pulldowns), the muscles can`t optimally contract because they "bump into each other" when both sides of the back are contracting. You can get a much better ROM in the contracted position by doing one arm at a time. Determining the resistance for those...light enough that you can really get that FULL ROM, can be another of those humbling experiences that has dummies wondering why you`re bothering with "those baby weights"..(they`ll also wonder why your Back is better than theirs ).
    All done with just hanging body weight with full ROM.
    OK, I`ll spare you my "Optimizing additional resistance with Pullups and Chins" lecture

Full arm extension to full contraction with chin above the bar. They are working wonders. Focusing on pulling my elbows through my hips really fires the last and I’ve seen great gains there.
    That sounds great! No surprise that they`re working wonders for you. That *really* has me wondering how it`d go if you added in the unilateral Pulldowns..

One thing those allow you to do that`s tough to accomplish with Pullups is that you can rotate your hand from neutral at the start to supinated/palm up at full contraction. That`s part of what allows for an increased ROM and it makes you a bit stronger (even if it is partially Bi/Brach involvement) after having worn yourself out with the Pullups. BTW, this "rotate the hand from neutral to supinated" really helps make (unilateral) Cable rows more productive too (rows are another movement where doing both hands at once limits the ROM at contraction..but I still do one set of BB Rows anyhow as my first Rowing movement). Wish I had some rotating handles I could attach to the Pullup Bar so I could do it with that movement too.

So glad you`ve figured out that "elbow orientation" feel, really good for the Mind Muscle Connection.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- If your Seated Leg Curl machine allows it, try moving your torso forward during the movement; while your legs bend back towards 90°, bend your torso forward towards 45° and then straighten back up as you do the negative (legs straighten = torso also straightens).

Remember that the Hams do more than just flex the knee, they also extend the hips. Gotta watch the form to avoid messing up your back, but some kind of Straight-leg (or Romanian-style) Deads or Good Mornings (my fave though my wife prefers the Deads) will do that. I do one set of Good Mornings after my Leg Curls and I always *really* feel it later. Even a *very* light weight (once again..) can work great, and you`ll find your ROM increases as the (long) set progresses so don`t worry if the ROM is pretty limited for the first few (or ten, twelve..) reps.

By the time somebody`s my age, strong Hams/healthy knees can really be a quality-of-life issue. Ditto for strong Glutes..the whole "no-@$$" lack of Glute development seems epidemic in men these days, just look how most guys` pants fit in the seat. Ends up causing mobility problems at a certain age. Between Squats and Ham work it`s not all that hard to keep those areas strong (and looking decent too).

But then just try to find men`s trousers that accommodate well-developed Glutes

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    But then just try to find men`s trousers that accommodate well-developed Glutes
    Ain’t that the truth!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The whole "clothing that fits when you`re in-shape" thing could be a thread in itself!

I`m no monster by any means, but it`s a real challenge. Not just my suits, but even my dress shirts have to be custom-tailored. I have to buy off-the-rack casual stuff in way too-big sizes and have them reworked. XL t-shirts that hang off me are tight as a vinyl wrap across my back, pants/etc. that are inches too big in the waist are way too tight in other places for me to wear, etc. etc.

Seriously, WT[flip]?!? What *DO* really built guys wear? Not like ya can go through life wearing sweats or somesuch... I`ve only found one brand of jeans (Duluth Trading`s Ballroom Jeans, hope they haven`t changed them) that fit OK and those are too roomy to really look flattering (good thing I hardly ever wear jeans..).

Post Thanks / Like

Man this thread makes me feel like a slacker!

Suppose I should chime back in before this turns into the 2019 Health and Fitness thread. My update falls muuuch more into the health than fitness category in comparison to the ongoing discussions.

So I`m about 8 sessions in for adjustments/stim/Physical Therapy sessions for my back/hip issue. Been feeling like a normal human being again for about a week now. It`s sad when you realize you`ve been pre-wincing when getting out of bed in the morning and take your first few steps. The first morning there wasn`t pain was a very pleasant surprise.

PT really hasn`t been anything crazy, just stretching and some basic work on an exercise ball. It was kind of reassuring - they ramped up how they were having me do the exercises on the ball since I was able to have good balance/control. Some of the exercises have been focused on retraining my body to work how it`s supposed to - finding that my back tends to jump in to do the work before my glutes even wake up for the party. Feels really ridiculous having to focus on something that seems like it should be so simple.

Anyone familiar with Mark Lauren`s You Are Your Own Gym book or app? I`ve had it on my phone forever and have been meaning to start implementing a routine. Seems inline with my goal for gaining strength and flexibility without being on the quest for bulk. (Ironically, I`m actually pretty content with my body shape/build, I just wish it worked better. To most civilian eyes, I fit the visual marks for "in shape")

Post Thanks / Like

Oneheadlite- Hey, that`s great how well your PT/etc. is working for you!

Yes indeed, we get used to moving incorrectly and doing things right again can be challenging. Just sitting, standing, and walking can be challenging to do correctly.

Not surprised that your Glutes aren`t doing their share...that`s just *so* widespread.

If Lauren`s program works as well for you as it has for him, you could be all set. The "no excuses" nature of it oughta help you stay on-track.

Post Thanks / Like

This is where I have to confess I don`t actually know anything about Mr Lauren or his back story. Any highlights you could share?

I picked up the app after hearing positive reviews of it on a tech podcast I listen to. One of the guys on the show used the app to keep up on fitness while travelling for work. The notion of not needing any equipment (especially for just starting out on regaining any type of fitness) was the big appeal.

Very strongly considering getting back into yoga after my 12 step (ok, 12 visit) Chiro/Pt plan is up...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Man this thread makes me feel like a slacker!

Suppose I should chime back in before this turns into the 2019 Health and Fitness thread. My update falls muuuch more into the health than fitness category in comparison to the ongoing discussions.

So I`m about 8 sessions in for adjustments/stim/Physical Therapy sessions for my back/hip issue. Been feeling like a normal human being again for about a week now. It`s sad when you realize you`ve been pre-wincing when getting out of bed in the morning and take your first few steps. The first morning there wasn`t pain was a very pleasant surprise.

PT really hasn`t been anything crazy, just stretching and some basic work on an exercise ball. It was kind of reassuring - they ramped up how they were having me do the exercises on the ball since I was able to have good balance/control. Some of the exercises have been focused on retraining my body to work how it`s supposed to - finding that my back tends to jump in to do the work before my glutes even wake up for the party. Feels really ridiculous having to focus on something that seems like it should be so simple.

Anyone familiar with Mark Lauren`s You Are Your Own Gym book or app? I`ve had it on my phone forever and have been meaning to start implementing a routine. Seems inline with my goal for gaining strength and flexibility without being on the quest for bulk. (Ironically, I`m actually pretty content with my body shape/build, I just wish it worked better. To most civilian eyes, I fit the visual marks for "in shape")
    I read your post and immediately thought to myself that you would be a prime candidate to give DDP Yoga a try. It is not anywhere near what one considers yoga. None of that meditation stuff. There are yoga poses but DDPY will focus on stretching and strengthening your muscles, ligaments and tendons. Also flexibility. DDP mentions in a few of the videos that weights are not necessary. I can honestly say there is some truth to that in me following the program.

I have been a user for 20 months now and the benefits are there. I lost 50 pounds but I gained flexibility, strength and core strength. I basically leaned out from where I started out at. It has helped with my posture as I never knew I was actually 6` 1.5" rather than 6` 1". But aside from the physical benefits, the mental aspect is a big benefit. DDPY is a life change.

I was skeptical when I first started but I am a believer and continue to do it. I just finished their 24 day christmas challenge which was amazing.

The thing I like about it is that I can do it at home or if I am on travel. I have the app and can basically do it anywhere and track my progress.

There is a new program for folks who have limited mobility to get them to become more mobile and move on to the more advanced stuff. I could easily see you starting here to get your strength back in your hips and back. If you are interested in learning more about it then feel free to PM me.

There are many success stories of folks who have done this and continue to do this.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like

The whole "clothing that fits when you`re in-shape" thing could be a thread in itself!

I`m no monster by any means, but it`s a real challenge. Not just my suits, but even my dress shirts have to be custom-tailored. I have to buy off-the-rack casual stuff in way too-big sizes and have them reworked. XL t-shirts that hang off me are tight as a vinyl wrap across my back, pants/etc. that are inches too big in the waist are way too tight in other places for me to wear, etc. etc.

Seriously, WT[flip]?!? What *DO* really built guys wear? Not like ya can go through life wearing sweats or somesuch... I`ve only found one brand of jeans (Duluth Trading`s Ballroom Jeans, hope they haven`t changed them) that fit OK and those are too roomy to really look flattering (good thing I hardly ever wear jeans..).
    I agree a lot. Just had to step up to a bigger size shirt because the chest and shoulder area look like I wear shmediums pants due to the fact that my thighs and glutes make my old pants impossible to button. So now I have shirts that are way to long just so they fit my chest and shoulder area and through the sleeves and the pants are 4 size to big in the waste so I can move around and have movement. Super frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

This is where I have to confess I don`t actually know anything about Mr Lauren or his back story. Any highlights you could share?
    IIRC (that might be a big "if"!) he`s a naturally athletic person with an impressive background in sports who`s done some pretty impressive stuff. Some of which was related to his time as a SpecOps guy in his native country. If I`m off-base somebody correct me!

SOMETIMES, that can factor in negatively when it comes to applying a program to less athletic people. E.g., there`s absolutely *ZERO* way I could maintain my level of fitness doing his stuff or any other bodyweight-based program. Zero. But that sure doesn`t mean it won`t work for somebody else. Kinda like, well...every program I`ve ever seen that was developed by well-known fitness experts. Note the lack of scare-quotes, I`m not casting stones here. But consider that the absolute worst thing most people could ever do could be trying to "lift like Arnold" with the expectation of responding the way he did.
    I picked up the app after hearing positive reviews of it on a tech podcast I listen to. One of the guys on the show used the app to keep up on fitness while travelling for work. The notion of not needing any equipment (especially for just starting out on regaining any type of fitness) was the big appeal.
    There`s sure nothing wrong with studying as much info as possible (as long as you then analyze it properly )! If something he suggests triggers an Ah-Ha! Moment where you realize you can do [whatever] without needing equipment you don`t have available, then great! Just don`t do something you shouldn`t do merely because he, or anybody else, suggests it.

Very strongly considering getting back into yoga after my 12 step (ok, 12 visit) Chiro/Pt plan is up...
    Literally *countless* people have benefited from Yoga over the years. And there are a whole lotta different types of Yoga to choose from. My wife starts every day off with her Yoga routine. Just don`t be like my dentist, who managed to injure himself pretty badly a few times doing Yoga movements that should`ve been safe..no idea how he did that, but I`m sadly confident that he`ll do it again some time; seems like he always messes himself up doing something that he could`ve just...not done.

Post Thanks / Like

minerigger- Yep, exactly what I go through. It costs a bundle to have shirtsleeves shortened and their torsos tapered, and dealing with a few extra inches of waist in sweatpants/etc. is problematic. If I had Bill Gates Money I`d have my briefs custom-made...when a guy with a ~31" waist has to buy Size L 34-36 to accommodate his build, something somewhere is awfully ill-fitting.

But one of the upsides to staying in shape is that while my clothes might eventually wear out, I don`t have to replace them over the fit getting tight (invariably in the wrong places) or have "fat pants and thin pants". While I still make progress, after training for so long I`m never gonna grow so much more that I`ll have to replace stuff over muscle gains.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried out the new split today. Got 5 extra u on leg press. And the lat pulls, palms up pulldown, curls then reverse curls really cooked the biceps.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Gee, five more is a lot! Did you still pre-exhaust with the Extensions?

Can you expand on the supinated Pulldowns? You doing them for Bis, like a curling motion?

Post Thanks / Like

After my cardio, I did a down/up...first in a few weeks, took me a few tries to get it Kinda surprised I didn`t get it right away, but as long as I pull it off I`m satisfied.

My last workout of the year will be Upper Legs Guess I`d better get on with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I read your post and immediately thought to myself that you would be a prime candidate to give DDP Yoga a try. ... I can honestly say there is some truth to that in me following the program.

I have been a user for 20 months now and the benefits are there. I lost 50 pounds but I gained flexibility, strength and core strength. I basically leaned out from where I started out at. It has helped with my posture as I never knew I was actually 6` 1.5" rather than 6` 1". But aside from the physical benefits, the mental aspect is a big benefit. DDPY is a life change.

I was skeptical when I first started but I am a believer and continue to do it. I just finished their 24 day christmas challenge which was amazing.
    There is a new program for folks who have limited mobility to get them to become more mobile and move on to the more advanced stuff. I could easily see you starting here to get your strength back in your hips and back. If you are interested in learning more about it then feel free to PM me.
    Wow, good for you for the weight loss and overall fitness boost! Thanks for sharing something that`s worked so well for you. Definitely something I`ll take a look at.

I actually spent a good chunk of time where I was going to Corepower Yoga (can`t remember how widespread they are) about 2-3 times a week. I really enjoyed it. They have a variety of different classes, I would mainly do the level 2 heated (but not full hot) yoga classes. They offered Yoga Sculpt classes, which sounds like it could be similar to the DDP Yoga. I went to one sculpt class early on but got intimidated by the early Saturday morning crowd (bad choice for a first class!) The C2 classes did wonders for flexibility, core strength, etc. To your point it wasn`t a big on meditation; more of a focus on breath and body connection.

IIRC (that might be a big "if"!) he`s a naturally athletic person with an impressive background in sports who`s done some pretty impressive stuff. Some of which was related to his time as a SpecOps guy in his native country. If I`m off-base somebody correct me!

SOMETIMES, that can factor in negatively when it comes to applying a program to less athletic people. E.g., there`s absolutely *ZERO* way I could maintain my level of fitness doing his stuff or any other bodyweight-based program. Zero. But that sure doesn`t mean it won`t work for somebody else. Kinda like, well...every program I`ve ever seen that was developed by well-known fitness experts. Note the lack of scare-quotes, I`m not casting stones here. But consider that the absolute worst thing most people could ever do could be trying to "lift like Arnold" with the expectation of responding the way he did.
    Part of why I asked if there was a story with him was just making sure it wasn`t a big trend thing I missed.

Makes total sense about you not being served by a bodyweight only program. You`re so far into your fitness program that it seems like your body would just be lost with so much less to work against.

There`s sure nothing wrong with studying as much info as possible (as long as you then analyze it properly )! If something he suggests triggers an Ah-Ha! Moment where you realize you can do [whatever] without needing equipment you don`t have available, then great! Just don`t do something you shouldn`t do merely because he, or anybody else, suggests it.

Literally *countless* people have benefited from Yoga over the years. And there are a whole lotta different types of Yoga to choose from. My wife starts every day off with her Yoga routine. Just don`t be like my dentist, who managed to injure himself pretty badly a few times doing Yoga movements that should`ve been safe..no idea how he did that, but I`m sadly confident that he`ll do it again some time; seems like he always messes himself up doing something that he could`ve just...not done.
    Reviewing a lot of the exercises, it`s all pretty basic stuff. Each of the exercises has little videos of doing them properly, with modifications as needed. I think the hardest part will just be training myself to actually get to doing it.

To your dentist - In my time doing yoga, I can`t say I remember ever injuring myself. I think it pays to pay attention to your limits and not just push for pride`s sake.

After my cardio, I did a down/up...first in a few weeks, took me a few tries to get it Kinda surprised I didn`t get it right away, but as long as I pull it off I`m satisfied.
    Being less broken, got a chance to try the down/up test - Was able to do both cross legged and rocking methods. It helps having less mass to move! (Internet/text only disclaimer to avoid potential misunderstanding/misreading - obviously the mass referenced is the fact you`ve got muuuch more muscle mass than I have to deal with).

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread Information