Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    .. I start thinking, with me and Accumulator, it would be the very first time you take the "mind" of the young man, and put it in the older man`s body!
    OK, can`t resist...you set this up!...Heh heh ..(thinking "Trading Places"/etc.) as long as I don`t have to do the same

But OK, Let`s see...put me in your body...I figure I`d need about two years to be in optimal condition. Pretty close to "fulfill genetic potential" within that timeframe, without huge lifestyle interruption (that "spend your whole life being in-shape" stuff is [crap] IMO, gotta have a real life or it`ll be unsustainable).

Alright, Accumulator....let`s see what I can do this year.
    So, GAME ON! But let`s make it TWO years, not "this year". Be able to see your abs, every day, at that point. Even just a six-pack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    After whining about not looking forward to yesterday`s Leg Day I did a few things differently (from planned) and OK, all good. I`ve learned that whenever I experience a genuine aversion to [whatever] it`s probably good to pay attention.

mjlinane- Heh heh, I liked that "KB swings until I hate life" My wife loves her kettlebell, that`s for sure (weird adjustable one...hey, whatever she likes..).

I actually kinda like(d) Burpees! But the push-up part of `em kills my one/vulnerable shoulder and without that part of it they`re not demanding enough.

Heh heh, given how "Exercise, Diet, Health, and Fitness" threads can be on the internet I want to bend over backwards to not be an [Omniscient Jerk].

And yeah..Studies often, uhm...fulfill an agenda other than "determining the facts"

RaydiantDetail- Hey, I like that folding squat rack! I`d expected something that`d be a huge PIA to actually use, but that looks great. I like that black oxide bar too, I`ve come to really *dislike* chromed ones as it eventually flakes off and chrome chips can be the devil.

jrock645- How`s this stuff going for *you* these days?
    It was a PITA to install myself thats for damn sure. Took me about 4 hours total and I had to do some McGuvering but it was worth it. It honestly only takes 1 min to set up and 1 min to fold away but I pretty much leave it out unless I have a car I am working on. Agreed on the chrome bars, exactly why I got the Black oxide bar for that specific reason. Also Rogue just makes killer products. Everything is just quality.

In terms of diet, I find the approach I have taken so far to be pretty simple to be honest and its more of a lifestyle change lol. Eat less than 30g of carbs, eat healthy fats, and eat lean proteins like fish, chicken and beef. The fish being wild, and the latter being grass fed. That to me makes a big difference is really the quality of what you intake vs. just the quantity. I also find it to be a simple "diet" to follow when eating out.
    Likes mjlinane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- How`s this stuff going for *you* these days?
    Hard to tell since I’ve been battling the funk. Eating relatively clean but been inactive.

Post Thanks / Like

Pulled the trigger on the clamp lights for my DIY near infrared sauna this morning (being delivered today!! - liking the Prime trial) and will make the trip for the heat lamp bulbs tomorrow. In reading about red light therapy, seems I can kill two birds with one stone.

Let the experiment begin!!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and I look even goofier than normal wearing my deep amber/extreme blue-blocking glasses at work (indoors) and at home. As no one has asked me about it, I`m guessing unusual behavior from me is not terribly surprising to those who know me.
    Likes Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    .. I`m guessing unusual behavior from me is not terribly surprising to those who know me.
    Heh heh, I could`ve posted that!

My wife wears those from time to time...and my Vuarnet shades s from the `80s blocked blue light pretty well, kinda freaky until I acclimated to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raydiantdetail
    It was a PITA to install myself thats for damn sure...
    I believe that!

Good on ya for going with wild fish/grass-fed beef...gotta admit we don`t. We genuinely like the taste of farm raised salmon better. Yeah, I know how awful it is But I`ll be pretty surprised if my choice of salmon is what does me in.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    .. I’ve been battling the funk. Eating relatively clean but been inactive.
    Eh, memory lapse,sorry...what funk?

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, memory lapse,sorry...what funk?
    Cold and flu keeps gettin passed around. Getting over my 2nd bout since christmas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Cold and flu keeps gettin passed around. Getting over my 2nd bout since christmas.
    Feel better man! That stuff has been going around my work as well. I try to stay away from those folks I notice who are under the weather but wish they would just stay away from work. We all have the ability to work remotely here. It`s silly to act tough and come in when all you are doing is spreading it around.

Post Thanks / Like

At least you`re down 2lbs so far. You and [she whose name I can`t pronounce] would have a challenge making the "healthy eating" thing your new normal though, huh?

Goals- How about "be in better shape a year from now". Some prefer specifics, I kinda lean towards the general at least as an overall perspective. "Quit ingesting [crap] regularly" might be another one. I`m simply amazed at the stuff people eat and drink all the time..."Do some form of physical activity at least every other day" comes to mind too.
    Make it 3 lbs, as of this morning. As for "healthy eating," myself, nah. I`ve been eating mostly salads for lunch for about two years now. Since the switch, I went down about 15 lbs and have maintained that level for well over a year. [She whose name we can`t pronounce] is a different story. She`s a stress eater. Doesn`t help that at her job, her co-workers are always bringing junk food and leave stuff on her desk. We`ve been doing Blue Apron (and recently added Hello Fresh to the mix) for some time now. It`s also helped us eat better. The portions are better. Much more veggies that we take in. My mother would never have thought I would eat things like kale, mushrooms, onions, etc. YUK, but it`s not so bad with the recipes provided.

Goals: Those are so easy even I can do them!!

OK, can`t resist...you set this up!...Heh heh ..(thinking "Trading Places"/etc.) as long as I don`t have to do the same

But OK, Let`s see...put me in your body...I figure I`d need about two years to be in optimal condition. Pretty close to "fulfill genetic potential" within that timeframe, without huge lifestyle interruption (that "spend your whole life being in-shape" stuff is [crap] IMO, gotta have a real life or it`ll be unsustainable).

So, GAME ON! But let`s make it TWO years, not "this year". Be able to see your abs, every day, at that point. Even just a six-pack.
    haha... YOU don`t have to do the same. No need to reverse what you`ve done thus far.

hmmm. Two years? That seems far more feasible than the headline I saw the other day, "Flat abs in just 24 days!" - 2 years, though seemingly a short time frame, does seem more realistic, though.

OK, then, Accumulator. GAME ON! Let`s see where we end up in two years And a six-pack will be even more than what I had in mind (a four-pack).

i`ll check in every now and then.

Post Thanks / Like

JustJesus- I really like extended timeframes for this stuff. I`ll turn 60 in about two years and my goal is to be in better shape at 60 than I am now. Long timeframe, pretty vague, so...sure, I can do that.

While many do best under the pressure of deadlines (Accumulatorett included), I do better the other way. With a long period I have plenty of time to accomplish my goals and usually find I`m where I want to be early.

Similarly, most people seem to do well with specific, often quantified, goals. But I do best with something more general, never really drilled down into the Why of it, but that`s how it goes for me. Kinda doubt that`d be a good approach for others though.

Yeah, Stress Eating can be like Stress Drinking/etc., once you get into that pattern it`s hard to break. I`m *really* glad I have a "it`s just fuel" mindset about it.

jrock645- Ah, OK, hope you get over it soon. I have a (quite rare for me) cold at present too, but expect it`ll be gone soon. Feel OK, just not smelling/tasting. It`s been so long since I had a cold that my zinc lozenges expired over four years ago! I figure they`re still OK, but this lingers on for ages I`ll wish I hadn`t gambled on that Sure glad I got that Leg Day in when I did, undecided whether I`ll do something (something easy, along the lines of Active Rest maybe..) for today`s scheduled Back/Rear Delt/Bicep/Ab day, we`ll see.

And yeah, when I`m sick I stay away from everybody. Sigh...biggest drag is that I missed my Denny`s bfast this morning The gals there are probably wondering if I woke up dead or something.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m sure no one cares (I stopped worrying about stuff like that a long time ago), but this what my DIY Near-infrared sauna looks like:

2018 Health and Fitness Thread-img_0204.jpg

Not sure why it is in landscape - is portrait everywhere else.

Very happy so far. Since becoming fully operational Fri night, my sleep quality (deep and REM sleep - according to FitBit) has improved over baseline. Very encouraging.

Update: in the last week, down to 172.4 lbs and lost another 1.5" on waist. And, no, is not from water loss/dehydration from the above - at least according to my smart scale. Fat % down almost 2% from last week. I believe my biohacking is working.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    I`m sure no one cares (I stopped worrying about stuff like that a long time ago)...
    Eh, keep posting stuff! Never know who will care or when. Bandwidth is cheap these days anyhow

..Very happy so far...my sleep quality (deep and REM sleep - according to FitBit) has improved over baseline. Very encouraging...
    That`s what counts IMO Glad it`s working for you.
    ..Update: in the last week, down to 172.4 lbs and lost another 1.5" on waist...at % down almost 2% from last week..
    Ah, that *is* significant progress!

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, that *is* significant progress!
    For a 6` tall, 55 year old, yes. First time out of the Overweight/Obese range in more than 30 years.

I did get my dates on the body fat % wrong. It was 2 weeks for the 2% reduction. Accountability!!

Post Thanks / Like

So that’s just 4 IR bulbs and a space heater?

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information