Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Health and Fitness Thread

jrock645- Heh heh, once again I`m envious! I can probably count on one hand the times my bis have gotten sore over the last 30 years! Not sure what`s up with that, they just don`t get sore..bigger, stronger, better defined..but not sore. Now calves, OTOH, those I get sore every time with usually just a set each of standing/seated.

Heh heh, I`m probably the only guy alive who`s using the Dynamic Axial Resistance Device for the *front* of my lower legs. One set after calves.

And IMO that walking is good period, whether it burns many calories or not. 50 min is good; I generally do 40 these days, kinda have to watch that I don`t turn it into another (real) workout..tend to overdo it

Post Thanks / Like

We’ll see if they get sore or not. Hope so!
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, theyre sore...
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Ah ha! Lucky You Glad it turned out as well as you were hoping.

I did my "short" cardio this morning, did the last Work Interval for the full 60 seconds again, instead of 40 (followed by 20 rest). Don`t like the "abrupt stopping point" that results from doing it that way...going from flat-out to nothing..but I did my 5 minute Cooldown immediately so it wasn`t an actual problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Got one of those dreaded summer colds. Started monday night. Skipped cardio today. Legs arent quite recovered from lifting monday anyway to be able to push hard enough. Hoping ill feel a bit better and can lift Friday but we’ll see.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Oh gee, sorry to hear that. BUT, of course I`ll be curious to hear how your workouts bounce back from it. I`ll also be interested to hear how severe the cold seems and how quickly you get over it.

I ended up doing Upper Legs (and abs/obliques) yesterday. Very soon/early for me but I did things a bit differently and all-OK.

For Hamstrings, I`m gonna try only doing one movement per Upper Leg workout- either Leg Curls or Good Mornings. I usually do both..."work both functions of the Hams" but I kinda suspect that they get plenty of spillover effect and that I can maximize my recovery by just alternating them. There are times when I don`t isolate my Hams at all but they still get sore anyhow..

Post Thanks / Like

Been hammering away at Oh and bench presses, squats(front, back), single leg deadlifts, and tons of crossover symmetry and stabilization work followed by flexibility/restoration. Hit a paused 255lb front squat top set for 3 reps with no belt, no wraps, and minimalist shoes. In the best shape of my life right now at 35. Have to balance the Yin(meditation, flexibility(Yin Yoga), prehab, sleep) and Yang(lifting, conditioning, stress) if you want to be in this for the long-haul.
    18 Honda Civic SI White Pearl 6mt(:lever

02 Honda Aquatrax f12x watercraft

01 Yamaha Superjet Modded

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hondaguy2582 View Post
    In the best shape of my life right now at 35... you want to be in this for the long-haul.
    I enjoyed reading that!

Gee, at 35 I was kinda half-@$$ed about my cardio...too long but not hard enough

What kind of results/adaptation do you get from 3-rep sets? Low rep work would help me with absolute strength, but didn`t really confer any benefits that I valued.

Post Thanks / Like

Wanted to share my workout from yesterday, logging my results with a new tool:

Got a stopwatch, so was able to start logging TUT for each set. So i aim for 4up/4down cadence with a pause at the top and bottom(still holding the weight), and doing the last negative as slow as possible or if I’m only able to do a partial last rep I hold it as long as possible before doing that last negative as slowly as I can. Here was the workout:

Leg press x15, TUT 2:29
    Calf raise x9, TUT 1:50
    Thigh abductor x11, TUT 1:26
    Shoulder press x6, TUT 1:12
    Lateral raise x5, TUT :57sec
    Dips x6, TUT :37 sec
    Curls x8, TUT 1:35
    Upright row x6, TUT :40sec. Went into a drop set after this, didn’t time it.
    Weighted myo crunch x12
    Cat vomit x10
    Total time 40 minutes

Rep cadence on the first few were great, maybe even a little slow. Struggled with a couple of the later ones. Just getting tired.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- How would you gauge/describe any effects from having a layoff due to that cold?

Yikes, that 2:29 TUT for the Leg Press must`ve been a killer. That`s a long TUT for those curls too!

Interesting that you`re doing 12 reps for the crunches.

You get sore?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the leg press was absolutely devastating!

I get a bit of tightness from the crunches but usually not real significant soreness, though i did at first. Between the weight and being fatigued, 12 is just all i can do properly.

As for the cold, its not quite 100% gone yet. Just a bit of sinus drainage left and having to clear my throat. I otherwise feel normal, but a couple minor lingering symptoms.

In other news, im up to 215lbs. Was at 200 in early/mid may. Only gained about an inch on my waist, with some of that just being bloat from eating carbs when i wasnt before
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, glad the cold is almost gone.

What`s your rationale for using that level of resistance for the Crunches? Not flaming or anything, just wondering...I`m doing what`s for me a *lot* of reps for abs/obliques, trying to hit the Type IIB fibers and also avoid prompting the Type IIA ones to grow larger. I`m even trying to avoid going to genuine failure on those, although I gotta fight that little voice that says "eh, you`re not trying hard enough if you stop now".

And hey, that`s interesting about how you`re getting some bloat from the carbs. Different people sure have different reactions to stuff.

What`s your overall take on the 15lb. gain? Is an inch of waistline a huge diff for you? Curious as my weight hasn`t fluctuated like that since, well...I dunno, maybe when I started with the Creatine in the early `90s and my waistline hasn`t changed a whole inch since forever. I did used to gain/lose maybe 3-5lbs. with the Holiday Season though, back when I just ate/drank whatever I felt like. Managed to avoid that the last few years and, speaking of stuff like bloat, the last time I just chowed down on some Christmas cookies I sure felt like [crap] so I doubt I`ll go back to consuming all those empty calories.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m still curious about people`s ROM on Wrist Curls My wife asked one of the few people we know who lifts what his is, and/but he`s apparently gonna get all fancy about figuring it out instead of just approximating...

I do think Accumulatorette is figuring out the Wrist Curls though, last workout she remarked about the diffs between doing them with a barbell vs. using the low pulley on the Cable Machine, how the "wrists higher/lower than elbows" is basically reversed.

Heh heh, yeah...I sure do put a lot of emphasis on Forearm Training! But 1) I`m an ectomorph with tiny wrists and lousy muscle bellies/insertion points and 2) forearms show whenever I`m wearing a short-sleeved shirt. My wife is working them diligently to avoid the kind of, uhm...flabbiness...there that women her age are prone to (and doing the same for her Triceps and Calves for the same reason).

Post Thanks / Like

My fiance regularly comments that my back keeps getting wider, so i think thats where most of the increase is going. Im def getting thicker. Noticing a huge difference in glutes, too.

As far as my waist goes, i can see a 1/2” fluctuation either way every couple of days regardless, so i think what im seeing is fine. If i was mostly gaining fat, i think id be up a lot more than an inch after 15lbs. Fiance thinks i look like ive lost weight.

As far as the ab work goes, i switch my rep ranges up now and again. Ill do high rep a while, and try low rep a while. Just in a lower rep phase for the moment, i suppose.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

I keep meaning to add some forearm work and aleays forget.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 LastLast

Thread Information