Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Health and Fitness Thread

Yes, Brandt - it has been a while.

K2 is one of the big 5 vitamins/minerals that the Standard American Diet (SAD) and Americans (like 60-80+%) are severely deficient in. (Others are vitamin D3, magnesium, selenium and zinc.) Combine that with the over-intake of calcium and bad things happen - like clogged arteries. K2`s role is to put calcium where it is supposed to go (i.e., the bones) and not where we don`t want it (arteries causing inflammation or breasts in women linked to cancer). The only foods that have significant K2 content are grass-fed butter like Kerrygold and (generally icky tasting and terrible smelling) bacteria-fermented products like natto. The body can synthesize out of K1 but, as K1 is tied to blood clotting, probably don`t want to overdo that at this stage.
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Weird. Did chest and back Friday and the soreness didn’t hit until today.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Weird. Did chest and back Friday and the soreness didn’t hit until today.
    That was after you had a little layoff, right? The more you get back into it the quicker I`d expect the DOMS to hit, but I bet it`s one of those individual diff things.

Heh heh, I *still* scratch my head over working chest and back together! Back is one of the few muscle groups where I have to do pretty much (up to ~8 sets, all different, all utterly grueling because of all the resistance required) and there`s NO WAY I could do justice to chest on the same day! I always get some spill-over effect anyhow- work back, feel a little in chest; work chest, feel a *tiny bit* in my lats.

No, no, not being critical, won`t even knock the ideas behind full-body workouts, just not right for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else doing Chins in an angled position? Or does everybody always do them straight perpendicular? If you do both, which comes first (or does that vary)?

Anybody else using Resistance Bands to add intensity to Chins? Or to any other exercise for that matter...

Post Thanks / Like

I’m still working my way through assisted chins. I’ve never been good at them, no matter how good of shape I was in. Even when I wrestled in high school and did 250 push-ups and 1000 crunches every day(in addition to wrestling practice) I could barely do a few chins. Could run 15 miles, still no good. Could deadlift 315 5x’s at 185lbs, still a struggle. Some of it just has to do with having a long, lanky build. Tough to do bench, chins and squats with a build like that since the weight inherently has to travel a further distance.

Adding weight flat pulls and machine rows lately, up to moving as much weight as I can ever remember. With some more progress, I’ll add chins back in September when I switch back to a split routine.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

For some reason chins are one of the few movements where I can use decent poundages..might get back to all those hours spent on the monkey bars when I was a little tyke.

jrock645- Yeah, more of that "everybody`s the same only different" stuff. And long limbs (and/or torso) certain can make a difference! I always joke that I have "short T-Rex arms" (no, nothing weird, just a *little* short for the rest of me like...only a tailor can tell) and I sometimes wonder how that factors in.

It sure does sound like you`re built for endurance...all those pushups/etc....just very different from low-rep work. Something to do with the A & B varieties of TypeII muscle fibers, or that`s what I suspect.

Post Thanks / Like

Cardio day today. Have a dr`s apt in the morning tomorrow to hopefully get another nerve block done on my back(it`s been a year). Will be an off day tomorrow, so I decided to do a bit more and "treat myself," so to speak. So I did:

15 minute warmup on the elliptical.
    6 minutes HIIT on the bike- not sure what was different today, but managed to get my HR to 170 on all but 1 work intervals.
    military PT calisthenics workout
    25 minutes on the elliptical, HR at 150 for the duration
    Some glute/hamstring exercises for my back/core.

Yeah, I know- if that`s a "treat" I`d hate to see a punishment...
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

You know.. this healthy eating and living stuff ain`t that bad. I`m finding lots of things that are both delicious and not bad for me.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brandt K.
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    You know.. this healthy eating and living stuff ain`t that bad. I`m finding lots of things that are both delicious and not bad for me.

Like what? I need ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by showbbq View Post
    Like what? I need ideas
    Well I`m on low sodium/ low carb diet

I mean it`s pretty simple the more I think about it.

Eat fresh stuff.

For drinks I like these...
    Fresh fruit and veggies (you can saute them in avocado or coconut oil or evoo but not as good as the former)

You can make a fruit salad with nonfat yogurt of your choice...that fruit salad can be blended and add the Bai of your choice for an added flavor boost.

Red cabbage is wonderful if you cut it up and bake it till its crispy.

I`m still experimenting but I feel so much better off of my previous "ok" diet.

Brandt K.
    Likes showbbq, Jaddie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- While I still think "gee, that`s a *LOT* of work!", I`m glad you got your HR spiked on the short intervals. Wonder if the layoff was of benefit. Heh heh, I sure have that idea on the brain, huh?!?

12 months sounds like a long time for nerve block to remain effective! A guy I know only gets a short respite out of his.

512Detail- I eat my Red Cabbage raw, sharing a little of it with the dogs. They get so revved up about it that I call it their "Cabbage of Contention", gotta give it too `em right or they`ll tussle over it a little. That stuff stays good for a long, long time.

Remember to check those beverages for artificial sweeteners too (I can`t read the labels in the pics), since the body does all the same (undesirable) stuff processing those as it does with real sugars. Lucky me, I`m fine with just plain water at basement-room temperature (from the RO unit). Oddly, I don`t know *ANYBODY* else IRL whose water tastes OK to me..but then nobody else I know uses a RO either.

Glad to see those Blueberries! And to hear you`re finding healthier stuff palatable
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I gather the injection wore off months ago but the pain/stiffness level has gradually increased. Got another injection scheduled today for a couple weeks from now. Best part is i dont have to pay for another mri.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, OK..how many will they give before they tell you to try something else?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about that. This is only the 2nd of this type of injection. Had two epidurals before- first one worked great, second not so much. I imagine at aome point theyll have to surgically decompress the disc/nerve. Anything but fusion surgery is fine by me.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, now OTOH, my wife is a big fan of the Fusion, thinks it was one of the best things ever. Heap Big Deal though, no question about that!

You gonna put off surgery as long as possible or get it done sooner rather than later? At *some* point I`d start to think about how some healing doesn`t go as fast when we`re older.

Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread Information