Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Health and Fitness Thread

jrock645- Well, your RHR is a lower than mine! No correlation with how I do my cardio that I could figure out though, just how I`m wired (it`s *always* been a bit high since I was a little kid).

Yeah, I hear you on how diff my approach is and depending how you`re doing it 40 seconds can be forever. And I gotta have a pretty intense warmup before I hit the "work" part, undoubtedly get it up over 150 during that and then move on to the "real work" before it drops much. Guess that, even though they`re awfully short, I`m actually doing two workouts between that warmup I always do on the Stair and whatever I consider the real one.

Sure give you credit for trying my oh-so-diff approach though!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah the key seems to be going as hard as i can isnt the same as going as hard as i can go for 40 seconds. Surprisd i cant get my HR higher. I could hit 170 on the elliptical but that caused other issues. This stupid back injury really gets in the way!
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Though, if the Hr calculators are anywhere close, getting my HR into the mid 150’s or higher should be sufficient. Ive always heard the goal is 85% of max for HIIT during work intervals, so it would appear im hitting the target.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Huh, I always read that it was >90% of Max HR Reserve for HIIT/SIT, never saw a study using 85% for that. The studies I`ve read regarding 85% say that`s the level to use for extended-duration cardio to maintain arterial flexibility (although gee, doing 85% for the recommended 30min. is sure working too).

Of course any "% of max" presupposes that the max is (objectively) known, which I bet is seldom the case outside of formal studies. I trust nobody still uses that "220 minus age" to calculate the max any more..

Just using "Max HR RESERVE" rather than a straight Max HR is enough to make anything in either of those ranges awfully tough IMO.

And hey, your experiences on the Elliptical just show how different people sure are different! I can`t get a tough workout on one of those things no matter what. Too bad as I kinda like `em, but I just don`t generate the intensity that I can on the Stair (much less the AriDyne).

Eh, while I really enjoy these discussions, I do think we`re splitting hairs and I bet that in the long run such stuff doesn`t matter. The point is that we`re exercising in a demanding way on a regular basis that we can maintain forever. The actual diffs between people in "extraordinarily great" condition and those who are merely "much more active than the average person" aren`t all that significant as best I can tell.

And every time a study finds the latest Optimal Modality, the researchers observe that they have *ZERO* expectation that anybody will maintain that regimen IRL.

I mean, really....NOBODY is gonna do the actual Tabata Protocol as a lifelong regimen, even Tabata himself said so. The latest study I saw about "90% of HRmax for 4 minutes followed by ?3? minutes rest, repeated ?4? times"...I forget, but that`s close at least...I mean, NO..people aren`t gonna do 4 minutes at 90%, let alone repeat it a few times, and do that for the rest of their lives. I don`t believe it.

Post Thanks / Like

How do you calculate max HR?

The 220- age and 207- 70% of my age both yield about the same number.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    How do you calculate max HR?

The 220- age and 207- 70% of my age both yield about the same number.
    Ah, that`s the thing...I *DON`T* calculate it Those formulas never reflect anything close to *my* max, which never showed any signs of decreasing or having any other correlation to my age. (Back when I had functioning HR monitors) my max would always top out in the low-mid 180s; no matter what I couldn`t get it higher and I was pushing to the point of genuine near-collapse. (And I thought I was maxed out before it actually quit climbing, "gee, can`t do any more.." but did anyhow.) So my actual observed max was higher than the formulas predicted and didn`t diminish as I aged. Somebody else could have a completely different max, again, generally uncorrelated to age. There`s quite a range between individuals, a lot more than I woulda thought.

There`s simply no proven across-the-board correlation between HR max and age, or at least I`ve never seen a study indicating one. Some people`s max diminishes but many (?most? at least in the case of those who train hard) don`t. Life-long trainers who keep track of such stuff have always said it doesn`t work out that way for them.

Note that the guy who came up with "220-minus age" has gone on record as saying it was merely a guesstimate that he used for the sake of consistency in a study focusing on other things. He never expected people to use it as an actual means of coming up with an individual`s actual max. I`ve always wondered why the idea has gained such widespread acceptance, figure it`s convenient and suspect that it gives a more doable target.

Strictly speaking, it`s not really about HR max anyhow, it`s about VO max, but it takes a lab setting to determine that.

Noting again that I think we`re just, uhm...discussing theoreticals on a topic we find interesting, having experienced really maxing out (as best I can tell), I know how that feels (basically "oh man, just live through this...gasp gasp") and I push myself to about that point. Being able to do that with short Work Intervals is what requires those fairly tough warmups I do.

Eh, the (very) few people I know IRL who do this stuff just don`t push themselves *that* hard on a regular basis and I`ll be the first to say that`s perfectly sensible and OK and they`re working plenty hard. IMO it`s understandable as going harder is simply brutal and invokes that "aversive effect" that can get folks to find excuses to not do hard cardio at all. Gotta say that I have to *force* myself to do those AirDyne sessions, utterly dread them...the Stair not that much but I know I`m not really working as hard on that.

Post Thanks / Like

The closest thing to an age-related decline that I experience is the need for more recovery and the increased chance of overtraining. I was undoubtedly overtraining for decades anyhow. Takes me quite a while to fully recover from cardio just as it does with resistance work, which I gather isn`t true for everybody.

Same ol` same ol`...1) best thing I ever did was quit exercising as much and as often, and 2) different people are different, gotta find what works *for you* and then keep doing it.

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to get my footing back after the weekend travels. Got back Tuesday, skipped working out wednesday. Got in yesterday but wasnt a great workout. Struggled with energy.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- And here I was about to ask "so wasn`t your workout better after taking some time off?" after reading the first part of that! You`ll be back in the groove in no time.

I`ve been concentrating a bit on forearms, which are always a big deal to me since I started with real scrawny ones...getting Wrist Curls (regular and reverse) really scienced out. Accumulatorette thinks I oughta write up an actual article that she`d see if she could market. Hey, everybody else who thinks they know it all does it...but I`m currently trying to put together a decent post on the AirWand. Hey, you know how I post a long freakin` book on every little thing so it takes me forever when I`m trying to *really write* comprehensively about something.

Post Thanks / Like

Air fryer...can I on a post heart attack heart healthy diet? Thinking of this as kind of a cheat day treat once I`m further healed up and regulated on all these meds post heart attack. I`d use avocado oil or whatever is healthiest. Doesnt use much oil from what I gather.

Thoughts? Scoldings?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive never used one so i cant comment really. I think the idea of using it as an alternative to frying on your cheat day is acceptable. As long as youre not using it as a license to eat more fried food.

What kind of diet did the dr suggest?
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Ive never used one so i cant comment really. I think the idea of using it as an alternative to frying on your cheat day is acceptable. As long as youre not using it as a license to eat more fried food.

What kind of diet did the dr suggest?
    Low carb low sodium

Stay away from processed foods, cheeses, frozen foods

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good advice. Lots of vitamin K2 seems prudent, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    Very good advice. Lots of vitamin K2 seems prudent, too.
    K2?

And hey Mike, long time!

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess since we are talking about healthier options. I`ll bring up one I`ve been using for a little while now. Algae oil, it doesn`t have much taste. I would say maybe a very lite lemon taste. Thrive brand is I think the only makers of it. It is considerably healthier than even olive oil, coconut oil, peanut oil. It has a high heat point. It`s a great option for when you do need oil. It can be hard to find.

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread Information