Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2018 Health and Fitness Thread

There was a gap of almost a week between workouts and i needed it. Workout went well enough- continue to add weight and/or reps to pretty much every exercise.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, yeah...kinda what I figured. It can be easy to overdo the frequency/volume when you`re psyched. For some people, a vague inkling that "maybe I could back off..." is a clue, for others it`s a first whiff of evasion...gotta see which side of the fence *you* are on when you get that feeling.

My wife`s gotten to where she thinks that any time that thought even crosses my mind, I should indeed take multiple days off; she`s usually right. But where she herself is concerned, she knows it might...just might...be an excuse.

Post Thanks / Like

Well this layoff was work related. Just tired from not having a day off in two weeks, not recovery related. Teo days in between workouts seems to be a good spot for me. For now anyway.

Sunday will mark 4 weeks since the switch. Ill update measurements and post results either sunday or monday.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Yeah, I wasn`t thinking about recovery during my layoffs either; none of my layoffs were planned or anything, but rather forced upon me by circumstances. I never expected to need so much recovery, didn`t realize how overtrained I was.

Is four weeks enough time for diffs to manifest themselves?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    jrock645- Yeah, I wasn`t thinking about recovery during my layoffs either; none of my layoffs were planned or anything, but rather forced upon me by circumstances. I never expected to need so much recovery, didn`t realize how overtrained I was.

Is four weeks enough time for diffs to manifest themselves?
    I think so. Actually noticed results in less than two weeks and the trend has continued.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, OK...looking forward to hearing about your progress.

Post Thanks / Like

Alright time to post results... 4 weeks ago today I changed my workout approach. Kept on the low carb keto diet save for my weekly cheat meal on Sunday or Monday nights. This past week, I wasn`t as strict as I indulged in some donuts on mother`s day(it`s a celebration!) since somebody brought them into work that day, and I couldn`t resist an oatmeal cookie or two fresh and warm from the oven. Otherwise, pretty solid diet wise. Made an effort to get more protein, mostly from real food.

Workouts were full body HIT style with 6 work sets followed by two sets of ab exercises. Did an A workout and B workout, both took around 25 minutes to complete, including rest time. 1 set to failure of each exercise. Also did a "C" workout which was a set of kettlebell swings and a couple of core exercises. First week was M/W/F, then realized I was going to need 2 days between workouts. I would warm up with 12 minutes of walking or on the elliptical, stretch, then complete the workout. Did two cardio sessions per week in addition- a 30 minute steady state on the elliptical, and the other day 20 minutes on the elliptical(to serve as a good warm up to facilitate a stretch), then about 12 minutes of HIIT on the bike.

-Results-

This is what everybody wants to know...

Starting weight was 201.8, finished at 203.8. Hmm, not necessarily what I was going for but here is what matters:

waist measurement(measured at bellybutton): Started at 37.5", down to 36". Ok, I like that.

Bodyfat%, as measured by my Tanita. Started at 20%, down to 16.9%.
    *** Yes, these bodyfat monitors aren`t known for being hugely accurate but I do think they accurately reflect CHANGE. I regularly weighed/measured myself the few days before starting the log and 20% was a consistently given number. I have consistently gotten about 17.5% the past few days. In the context of measuring change, I take the numbers for what they are.

I gained about an inch on my arms, and gained about 2" around my shoulders. Thigh and chest measurements didn`t really change. Arms are showing considerably more muscularity- if you saw Sean Penn in the movie "the gunman," that`s the kinda look I`m talking about. The GF has been commenting on the muscles in my upper back looking much more prominent.

What else did I do?

Since this was provoked by "The 4 hour body," I utilized some tricks out of it. I used the PAGG stack, and also the chromium supplement and niacin before bed that he recommends.
    I did some of the brown adipose tissue activation stuff he talked about. Even went to the extreme of filling the bathtub with 40lbs of ice and water and laying in it on two occasions. My bathtub simply isn`t big enough to fit my whole body in it, so I wasn`t real big on doing this. I have been doing the ice pack on the upper trapezius/neck area at nighttime.

The next phase-

Starting this week, I will be reintroducing carbohydrates into my diet on a limited basis. I`ll eat a grapefruit or drink some grapefruit juice in the afternoon for the blood sugar stabilization he talks about(and suggests for binge meals, which I have been doing). Otherwise, I`ll be taking a few grams of Vitargo with my creatine pre workout, and adding ground oats to my post workout protein shake. If I can stomach it, I`ll add an oat/protein shake at some other point in the day
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Solid work!

My results are holding steady at just below 160 and down to 11-ish% BF. Note - the weight is fine; just changing the body composition.’

Speaking of the 4 Hour Body, have you tried the isometrics after eating? I have taken to wall squats and upper body pushes and pulls after eating or whenever I am bored at work. Definitely seeing more definition.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645 & mjlinane- Glad you`re both making such good progress, and I really like that you`re not focusing on your overall weight but rather on the stuff that matters.

Sounds like you`re both finding good stuff in 4 Hour Body.

jrock645- How much niacin are you taking? I take 1g/day and there`s no way I`d want to take it before bedtime, if only because of the flushing.

Oh, and I`m a bit of a grapefruit fiend, have at least one every day.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually take 500mg-1g before bed, but it’s the slo-niacin so it doesn’t cause the flushing.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

I might sit down and read this whole thread. Just skimmed a couple posts TBH

Egg yolks. Don’t raise cholesterol They taste awesome. Lol. Refined sugars raise cholesterol as its processed via the liver or some crap. But cholesterol doesn’t raise cholesterol.

Nite time protein options.
    Protein shake with some peanut butter to slow down digestion

Cottage cheese with sliced pears. Yum
    And peanut butter

1/2 cup Greek yogurt with some vanilla protein and even 1/3 cups granola

As I’m older and have BP issues I decided to take health more s
    Serious. I’ll list some that may be of interest of guys here

Ubiquinol am/pm (cardiovascular)
    Vitamin K... can actually reverse plaque in arteries
    Krill oil VS EFA (cholesterol)
    Astralagus AM/pm. Kidneys and heart
    Life extension bio-cucurim. (Everything! )
    Magnesium biglycinate at bedtime

Phats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2000 silver GT mustang..selling

2004 odyssey eXL-res- silver

2005 accord EXL- silver

Post Thanks / Like

HIIT session on the bike tonight. Got my HR into the mid 160’s and couldn’t get it any higher no matter how hard I pushed. Now doing the intervals in 1 minute blocks, with the first 20-22 seconds being the sprint portion and the remainder of the minute being for recovery. Legs were so pumped afterwards I thought my quads might explode.

Sat in the sauna after for 20 minutes. HR got unusually high- peaked at 150. Must have been from the HIIT.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec
    Likes RaysWay liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I usually take 500mg-1g before bed, but it’s the slo-niacin so it doesn’t cause the flushing.
    Does the non-flushing version still do what you want?

I take mine just to tweak my (already great) HDL numbers, and the non-flushing stuff won`t do that.

Post Thanks / Like

phatkid77- Heh heh, that`d be quite a read if you started at page 1! I wouldn`t worry about rehashing something we`ve already discussed.

Yeah, I`m surprised how people still think that eating cholesterol will raise blood cholesterol. But then, heh heh...a whole lotta stuff that people believe surprises me

If you want the nighttime protein to digest slowly, what about using an egg-white based protein? Between that and the fat from the peanut butter it oughta take forever!

My wife (and the dogs) take most of the supplements you do. I used to, but can`t tell any diff having quit (most of) them...get a lot of stuff from my diet anyhow (or so I tell myself).

What form of Ubiquinol and Krill Oil do you take, and how much?

Oh, and I wouldn`t say you`re "older"...you`re what, 41?

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Hey, I really like the sound of that max-effort cardio session! Maybe the 160 range is simply your maxHR..as long as you`re maxing out during the "work" intervals it sounds perfect to me as I consider that the critical factor.

I did one-minute blocks on the StairMaster this morning for the middle third (the actual workout part) of my cardio.

Heh heh, I *do* wonder what you`d think of reversing your work:recovery ratio and trying it my way The time I [goofed] up and did one interval *your* way was kinda eye-opening as I hadn`t done that since forever.

Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread Information