Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Frozen Windshield Washer Lines

Headscratcher slightly.
    So no dice again until drive/thermal park dethaw.
    Her car is parked in the driveway so its not the drive-by cold inrush freezing it. It`s getting frozen in ambient temp YET....the tank is pure liquid. No slush at all. I really got to hit the DMV Driving 101 books. No hint of slush.
    Nozzles are heated.

Put more pre-mixed in there. If this does not do out, I`m draining out the tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh, sounds like another of those "oughta be so simple, but it`s not!"
    Likes mobiledynamics liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Solution for frozen wipers.

https://youtu.be/trucXQd_gBM
    I`m thinking they might need to reapply their LSP after that.
    And probably get an alignment... (Tow driver pulling it sideways out of the ice by the wheels)

Post Thanks / Like

We swapped cars today and since I was busy futzing with the glass literally, I`ve never noticed until now until I observed all the following today...

SO many people either have bad washer pumps or are in the same camp as me with frozen lines. I noticed many at stop signs, etc, open the window and pour bottled water on their glass. The winner-winner-chicken dinner was one driver who was driving slow as molasses in the left lane on the freeway. After I went right and then back left, I realized why he was driving like molasses. The windshield was caked in salt/winter debris and he could not f`en see through the glass..

Personally these are huge safety concerns like alot of the crap we see on the roads these days. It was just a reminder that you just can`t control what`s around you when you are on the road.

Post Thanks / Like

A splash of ISP or Vodka should keep the solution from freezing, run the fluid through the system for 30 seconds. The existing solution must be getting enough surface area to freeze, think of the solution in the thin long tubes. In the tank, the fluid is fine because there is simply more of it, thus allowing more *heat* to be retained (heat is relative in this case). When this existing fluid is spread thin for a long distance, as in the washer lines, it will be prone to freezing because there is simply not enough of the fluid to retain the heat required to keep the solution in a liquid state. Therefore, in order to keep the fluid in the lines from freezing, its freezing point must be lowered significantly in relation to the fluid tank. What do Antarctic and Arctic explorer`s put in their fresh water supply to keep it from freezing? Vodka, because it is an alcohol that is metabolized by the body, for grey water, it is some sort of other alcohol. In this case, I`d try ISP because we all know that it is readily available.
    Likes mobiledynamics, PRND[S] liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Personally these are huge safety concerns like alot of the crap we see on the roads these days. It was just a reminder that you just can`t control what`s around you when you are on the road.
    That. Too bad about how Darwinism can result in collateral damage...

Post Thanks / Like

Thx TMG. I was sorta thinking it was the freezing point on volume vs not, but in the essence of thinking as such, I was surely if the freezing point is now not leaving the fluid slush but pure liquid, surely these lines must be good.....heh, on the 3rd time where I added more, I did purge all the jets prior to letting it get it`s night nap.

MOAR Alcohol is never a bad thing I suppose. I had a glass or 2 of Suntory 17 year old after snowblowing yesterday.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information