Post Thanks / Like

Owed to My Mother Who Past Away

My mother past way recently at the age of 94. I was time. She was a public school teacher and guidance counselor in the small Northeastern Wisconsin town of Lena and had a profound effect on the young people (and other teachers) in this school district. Yes, I had her as teacher for one year in high school for Junior English. She gave me my second lowest grade of any class I had in high school , but deservedly earned.
    She found this poem in a local paper that she wanted printed in her obituary. It fits her to a T and I think it applies to a lot people. so I will share it with you.
    When I Come to End of My Journey
    By Mrs. Lyman Hancock
    (from the Green Bay Press-Gazette Writer’s corner; Date unknown)

When I come to the end of my journey and I travel my last weary mile,
    Just forget, if you can, that I frowned and remember only the smile.
    Forget unkind words I have spoken; remember the good I have done.
    Forget that I ever had heartache and remember I’ve had loads of fun.
    Forget that I have stumbled and blundered and sometimes fell by the way.
    Remember that I have fought some hard battles and won at the close of the day.
    Then forget to grieve for my going.
    I would not have you sad for a day, but in the summer just gather some flowers
    And remember the place that I lay,
    and come in the shade of the evening when the sun paints the sky in the West.
    Stand for a few moments beside me and remember only my best.

I know this is a highly irregular item for detailing forum, but if you feel it might apply to someone you know who has past away and be read at a funeral or memorial, please use it.
    GB detailer
    Thanks Tc99m, Stokdgs, PRND[S], Ronkh, ShakingHorizons and 5 others thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Owed to My Mother Who Past Away

Sorry for your loss Lonnie, that is a nice poem and remember you will one day see your mother again. The journey has only begun.
    Likes Lonnie, Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie,
    My heart hurts for you and yours...

You just gave me much comfort for the loss of my Mom (who also passed at 94), I hope our Mom`s are meeting up there and finding much joy that is what this life is really all about;
    To have spent a long life here, and then going back whence we came to finish it all out forever with family and friends..

The relationship you had with her will always be close to your heart and at times will be very tender and cause your eyes to get wet..

Her love, only as a Mother can love, will ALWAYS be there for YOU and yours..

And I promise you with all my heart and faith, you WILL be reunited with her and all your loved ones on that special day when we all get to live eternally, thanks to the most loving, caring, inspired, willing to sacrifice everything for us, even Jesus the Christ, our Savior and Redeemer..

This is my prayer to you, Lonnie, and your family..
    Dan F
    Thanks Lonnie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie- Your Mother sounds like she was great, both as a Mom and a Teacher. I`m sure she touched a great many lives, leaving them far better for having known her. 94 is a pretty good run, and I`m glad you`re able to say "it was time". Sounds like a life well-lived. My sincere condolences.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the condolences and heart-felt thoughts and prayers for myself and my family from my fellow Autopians. Means a lot.

I told this story in a PM to Ronkh, and it is approbate here:

My father, as an elementary teacher and principle in Oconto, had few vices, but new cars were one of the few things he really enjoyed. My mother complained that she, being a high school teacher and guidance counselor, worked for nothing but my father`s buying of new cars (which, to some extent, was true). When the new `64-1/2 Ford Mustang came out, he wanted one BAD. My mother told him if he could come up with a large down payment (about half the price of the car) he could have one, which seemed impossible, so the dream car remained just that: a dream. Our family was on a 40-acre farm homestead that my father bought from his mother during his stint in WWII. In late 1965, the federal government came out with the Farm Bank Program which paid farmers NOT to grow crops to stabilize crop prices for farmers. My father placed his land in such a program, took a one-time payment for the Farm Bank, and bought his `66 Mustang base model, much to my mother`s chagrin. This is a man who has 5 children at the time, so a Mustang is hardly a "family car". My mother drove a `64 Galaxy Wagon, the REAL family car. He had that Mustang for 5 years, so I never got to drive it, being 9 years old at the time, but my brother 6 years older than me, did on dates and other things teen agers did at the time. I did, however, figure out that IF you turned on the Emergency Flashers (a new feature in `66) switch in the glove box AND held down the brake peddle that the radio could be turned on WITHOUT the key in the ignition switch turned to ACC. I listened to music and baseball games in that car, while mom or dad took me with them for shopping in the small towns within out area, unbeknownst to them. Good times growing up
    GB detailer
    Likes Stokdgs, Ronkh liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, Mary B thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry,
    Beautiful !!,

Thank you.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Thanks for the condolences and heart-felt thoughts and prayers for myself and my family from my fellow Autopians. Means a lot.

I told this story in a PM to Ronkh, and it is approbate here:

My father, as an elementary teacher and principle in Oconto, had few vices, but new cars were one of the few things he really enjoyed. My mother complained that she, being a high school teacher and guidance counselor, worked for nothing but my father`s buying of new cars (which, to some extent, was true). When the new `64-1/2 Ford Mustang came out, he wanted one BAD. My mother told him if he could come up with a large down payment (about half the price of the car) he could have one, which seemed impossible, so the dream car remained just that: a dream. Our family was on a 40-acre farm homestead that my father bought from his mother during his stint in WWII. In late 1965, the federal government came out with the Farm Bank Program which paid farmers NOT to grow crops to stabilize crop prices for farmers. My father placed his land in such a program, took a one-time payment for the Farm Bank, and bought his `66 Mustang base model, much to my mother`s chagrin. This is a man who has 5 children at the time, so a Mustang is hardly a "family car". My mother drove a `64 Galaxy Wagon, the REAL family car. He had that Mustang for 5 years, so I never got to drive it, being 9 years old at the time, but my brother 6 years older than me, did on dates and other things teen agers did at the time. I did, however, figure out that IF you turned on the Emergency Flashers (a new feature in `66) switch in the glove box AND held down the brake peddle that the radio could be turned on WITHOUT the key in the ignition switch turned to ACC. I listened to music and baseball games in that car, while mom or dad took me with them for shopping in the small towns within out area, unbeknownst to them. Good times growing up
    My sincere condolences

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie, my condolences to you and your family on the loss of your mother.

Thank you for sharing the poem as well as the very touching story of your father.

Thoughts out to all of you...
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

What a beautiful poem, such a great way to remember your mother. Sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing the stories.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie, my deepest condolences to you and your family.
    Likes Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My sincere condolences.

Beutieful poem.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Lonnie, I`m very sorry for your loss. Losing a parent closes a very special chapter in life. I dread the day.
    http://www.flawlessreflectionsautodetailing.com/
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Parents are indeed special. Lost both of mine of natural causes. Mom was only in her 50`s. Dad 70`s. I had the pain of finding both at home. Mom in her sleep. Dad in the basement when I got home from work. Some told me it was a blessing that I found them at home. It took me quite awhile to accept and adjust to being parentless. Lonnie, Very sorry for your loss.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Likes Stokdgs, Lonnie liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

With my deepest sympathies, Lonnie.
    Likes Stokdgs, Lonnie liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great tribute, Lonnie.