Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: falling on the grenade...

Quote Originally Posted by heisenberg View Post

The bottom line is that that last 5% that you may or may not get from layering or using so many products(I cannot personally observe a change in appearance from layering) is simply not worth your time and money because non-autopians would be literally just as happy with a highly skilled paint correction and 1 or 2 coats of an LSP. You just have to decide if you`re doing that for your own benefit/satisfaction or if it`s actually an added value for your clients. Identify your true target market, do some true self-evaluation of your strengths and weaknesses vs. your competitors and document it so you can constantly be thinking about it. Treat yourself like an employee and hold yourself accountable when things don`t work the way you want them to.

Your logo and your company branding are not a problem, IMO. You will be just fine. Sorry about the length of this post, but I hope it helps some.
    I cut this short on the copy to avoid excessive scrolling but a lot of the things you mentioned are issues I`ve realized are cutting into my bottom line. It`s one thing to play with layering on my cars but I need to stop that on others. The only person I`m really impressing (the extra 5%) is myself and I`m over that now.

I`ve always thought of this hobby of mine as an outlet. I never really considered trying to properly monetize it but as the business has directly clashed with my personal life on many occasions this past year one comes to that point where I feel that if I`m going to continue to do this, I should be operating it properly and trying to grow it to where I could potentially turn it into more in the future.

I definitely have a lot of stuff I need to get rid of. I won`t ever use it and it`s just taking up space.

Thanks for the response. Lots of good info in there.

Brandt K.
    Likes heisenberg liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    ^ This. I feel this is most important. What is a job worth to you? As I`m spending more time with my wife and stepdaughter, I have less time to detail. I haven`t taken any jobs in about 5 months. And jobs I`ll be taking moving forward, I`ll charge more. Nowadays, my time is worth more.

Yeah, I know that feeling. For me, it goes back to "what is that job worth to me?" - I know I`ll lose potential jobs, and I`m okay with that. This is just a side gig for me, anyway.

Good luck, Brandt. Don`t sell yourself short. Enjoy this "hobby" and keep in mind what every job you take on is worth to you!
    Thanks. I`ve adopted the "what`s this job worth to me" attitude ever since this past summer when I realized this hobby of mine was causing numerous opportunity cost issues. I think that`s probably the proximate cause of this new outlook I`ve developed. It`s about time, is all I can think of saying to myself.

I started this thread because once I tell you guys about this, I know I will at least have some fellow Autopian`s to hold me accountable. If I just toyed with this idea on pen and paper I may not have acted on it. And by starting now I get a few weeks head start on next year, and get to start some more productive business owner habits in the time before then.

Brandt K.
    Likes JustJesus, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see you recognizing things to improve upon and acting on it. If you ever want to bounce ideas off of me feel to give me a shout. I can pm you my number if you want it.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you! It took us a long time and a good talking to buy my friend Rod Kraft that we were doing to much work for the same price as the hacks were. People will pay for excellent work and experience. Yes you may lose long time clients but you will get new people that are willing to pay for high quality work.we lost a lot of our clients when we basically doubled our price, but we now have clients that are enthusiastic about the way they maintain the car which allows us to spend the time needed to give them what they expect. Good luck to you!
    Likes 512detail, GearHead_1, Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justins00ss View Post
    Glad to see you recognizing things to improve upon and acting on it. If you ever want to bounce ideas off of me feel to give me a shout. I can pm you my number if you want it.
    I appreciate the offer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    Good for you! It took us a long time and a good talking to buy my friend Rod Kraft that we were doing to much work for the same price as the hacks were. People will pay for excellent work and experience. Yes you may lose long time clients but you will get new people that are willing to pay for high quality work.we lost a lot of our clients when we basically doubled our price, but we now have clients that are enthusiastic about the way they maintain the car which allows us to spend the time needed to give them what they expect. Good luck to you!
    Thanks. I am glad you switched over to some pa. I enjoy being able to bounce thoughts off.

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    I`ve always thought of this hobby of mine as an outlet. I never really considered trying to properly monetize it but as the business has directly clashed with my personal life on many occasions this past year one comes to that point where I feel that if I`m going to continue to do this, I should be operating it properly and trying to grow it to where I could potentially turn it into more in the future.
    I`m glad you got something out of it. It was pretty long winded.

This definitely started as an outlet for me too. I was considering it last year that nobody works an extra part-time job unless they absolutely need the money or in our cases, they are extremely passionate about it and it allows you more opportunity to practice and enjoy the craft. That passion can`t be taught or replicated! The fact you`re getting a head start on everything proves you`re serious about it.

I still "waste" tons of products on my own car when I can.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, just wanted to provide and update

I am 95% done with pricing for 2018 and I am very happy with where it`s at.

I have all my products stocked for the entire detailing year and basically only anticipate needing more Iron remover and maybe a replacement clay sponge eventually.

Now if I can just keep myself in check from buying more stuff I don`t necessarily need I`ll be set for a profitable year (assuming people book at my new prices).

Pricing is not astronomical but I feel its reflective of the value and quality that I provide.

I took into account things such as overhead, product cost and what my time is worth.

Looking back at my old prices I can`t believe I was charging so little. My prices are almost doubled in most cases for the coating packages but that because I am charging accordingly for all that I`m doing.

Wish me luck! I already booked one vehicle on the new prices. So far nobody seems to be really shocked. Of course the price shoppers will be deterred but that`s not my market anyways.

Brandt K.
    Likes trashmanssd liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information