Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

I NEED a new cell phone...which one?

I`ll be looking to upgrade my cracked screen and outdated galaxy s5 this holiday sale season.

I am with Sprint and have been android all my life but I`m willing to take a hard look at iphones.

Not against jumping ship as there are Zero loyalty rewards these days and I`ve been Sprint for a bakers dozen years or more.

THE Most important factor for me is the camera and ability to use the phone for my business, which makes the note8 my main favorite.

I`m not ready to invest in a traditional camera.

I`m looking at the Note8 or the upcoming iphone X

also considering a good deal on a Galaxy s7 as I`ve seen some hot deals on those recently

also have always been a little intrigued by the Google Pixel phone and they have a new one out

please provide your input

thanks in advance

let this also serve as the "new phone sale" thread

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I NEED a new cell phone...which one?

Both the note 8 or the iPhone X are perfect choices. I wouldn’t look at other phones because they all have trade offs and big downsides but both Samsung and Apple have come close to perfection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    "I can shine your car if you don`t shine me on" -Mr. $lick
    Likes 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

LG V30 is a legit option

Post Thanks / Like

Brandt - I`ll be looking to replace my (gasp) iPhone 4S here in the near future. Yeah, a bit outdated and sluggish but I don`t see the need for a new phone every two years. Won`t be looking at Apple again as I want to not be locked into the Apple ecosystem.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009
    Likes dschribs, ShakingHorizons, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`d be rolling with a Samsung S8 or S8+. Not an iPhone fan at all. I also havent seen any features that the latest Note has that would make it worth spending extra over the 8+ if you want a phone that size

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing

Post Thanks / Like

So as a Verizon customer before I became a Verizon sales rep I highly recommend Verizon. As for phones I would go note 8 or even the slightly less expensive s8 instead of the apple. I currently have the iPhone 7 and although the camera isn’t to bad it still doesn’t compare to Samsung’s cameras. I haven’t had a chance to play with the pixel 2 or the lg v30 cameras much yet but the lg v20 had a nice camera which got me looking away from apple in the first place so I’m guessing the v30 will still have a nice camera. The advantages of the pixel is the unlimited goggle cloud space. And to throw another in the mix is the moto z2 force which also has a nice camera and all the ones I’ve sold of those the owners have been real happy with it. But my opinion of the best overall camera right now is the s8/note8 plus switching phones will be easier then as well with Samsung switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Looking to upgrade too. Been rocking a Droid Maxx and have had great luck with it but the 8GB memory is the big downfall for me with how all these apps nowadays just keep getting bigger and bigger. It sounds like the Note8 is where I will be looking. I`m with Verizon.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justins00ss View Post
    Looking to upgrade too. Been rocking a Droid Maxx and have had great luck with it but the 8GB memory is the big downfall for me with how all these apps nowadays just keep getting bigger and bigger. It sounds like the Note8 is where I will be looking. I`m with Verizon.
    I got to play with the new note before it was revealed and it is utterly amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well I am not a good guy to get an objective opinion on phones from because I am just hooked on apple since IP4. I love the ease of use, and the support offered by apple and Applecare. AppleCare gets you US based competent phone support for when something needs to be fixed (non physical damage), which ios better than going to a store and waiting on line ! AppleCare covers 2 incidents of physical damage (with a co-pay depended on damage).

In any case, to me these phones are:
    1. Easy to use
    2. Reliable
    3. When I upgrade I sell me old unit for good $ or trade it so dare I say economical???
    4. Operating system is continually upgraded, introduces new features, and although some upgrades can be buggy at first I wait for the all clear from MacRumors and Reditt before I jump into an update, I also never upgrade during the week, and always when plugged into power source.Once the software is upgraded, the whole phone needs to re index so the searches work, and that kills battery life while its running and can take 24-48 hours.
    5. Apple Battery Case is the best purchase I have made in the last 5 years-solves my power issues, works on the same cable and adds little bulk.
    6. Integrates well into my ipad, Imac and Apple eco system.
    7. Backs up my pictures, and phone data with no effort using free icloud. (Can buy more storage as necessary)
    8. Getting a new phone set up, and loaded with my info is easy, just restore as new phone from old backup
    9. Siri is a useful assistant, I`m in the car a lot and she dials for me, sets up appointments and sends texts/ emails for me. Just be careful with texts/ emails, every so often it writes something crazy LOL so I don`t trust it for email / tests for business just family and friends..

I am a user not a programmer, or gamer, I just want my phone to work and the Apple iphones have done right by me so far. Once the X is out in the wild for a bit I will decide on what my next phone will be a 8 or a X. If the Face ID is not ready for prime time, Ill pass but I would like to get the better camera on the X if the face ID works as good as the finger ID.

I will admit, I am hooked on Apple`s phones , but only because they do me right. I am pretty picky about, well just about everything and its not a good way live, but I am satisfied with Apples phones 9/10. I wont even look at the others despite the Verizon reps always pushing me into those, I just don`t have time to make a mistake, or learn a new system b/c I am happy enough with my apple products.
    Likes Oneheadlite, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Given you said the camera is the most important, the Pixel 2 has the best camera on smartphones with 12.2 megapixels and 1.8 f aperture. The iPhone x is a close second with a 12 megapixel and 1.8 f aperture. Both phones are supposed to be excellent as well. Also something to note the iPhone 8 plus has the same camera as the iPhone x, so if you don`t need all the features of the x you could buy the more affordable 8 plus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Likes nickclark08, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I find that many people are "All-In" with either Apple or Android and it really comes down to personal preference. Find a phone and operating system you like and stick with it. Most phone cameras now days are way better than they were even 2 years ago. And if you are really worried about quality pictures a good point-n-shoot camera is really the best choice.

I started a long time ago with a Moto Razor and went to a Blackberry at the time when I got married so my wife and I were on the same system. After the demise of Blackberry and our phones started having software and battery issues we moved to a Moto Droid and we really liked them. But when these phones started having the same software and battery issues we looked at the new Android & iPhone 5. The funny thing was even though we were in and using the Android system the newer phones seems to have more options that really confused and frustrated my wife at the time. So we went with the iPhone 5. Since then we are both very happy since they to “just work” and are very intuitive. And now I am starting to look for a new phone again since the old iPhone 5 is now basically dead as it will no longer be getting updates and some of the last updates it did get really killed some of the speed and battery life.

I will say this Samsung and Android seem to always be on the “bleeding edge” of all the new tech and so on. But while Apple seems to always be a little behind they seem to take the approach of “perfect the systems and make it work”. And I really appreciate that since I don’t like to have a system with a bunch of bug issues and glitches. But the new Samsung phones look great and have a bunch of high end features I would like to have. But the operation is more important to me than the bells and whistles.
    Likes JSFM35X, Oneheadlite, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Brandt, being that you know Android and need an awesome camera, the Pixel 2 XL has the highest camera rating right now - not sure if that will change with the iPhoneX

Saying that, we are an iPhone household - I got my wife an iPhone 8 and the camera on that phone is pretty amazing in low light conditions...

I don`t think you could go wrong with any of the flagship phones from the big brands - I think the biggest change might be to switch from Sprint. They probably got better over the years, but my wife was on it and constant dropped calls, spotty service, etc. We have AT&T for my wife`s phone and I use Verizon at work - both are good networks. Probably get a deal to switch as well.

My $0.02
    Likes Oneheadlite, 512detail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll echo JSFM35X and TroyScherer`s thoughts.

I`ve been using iPhones since the 3G (2008) and have had really solid luck with them. I tend to replace phones every 2 years (Though I`ve had one for 3 and one for 1) as before blowing lots of money on detailing stuff, that was my geek outlet. I appreciate the security and focus on privacy apple has. I like the user interface, and am one who doesn`t feel "trapped" in the Apple ecosystem. I do all my stuff on my phone, and all my stuff works on my phone - thus, no problemo. I`m currently running a 7+, and actually like it so much I`ve got no motivation to change out to an 8+ or X. If I had more disposable cash, I`d probably upgrade just for fun though.

I fully appreciate everyone`s use case and experience is different. Having been on android so long, for you the iPhone may just feel too foreign. Or maybe you`ll click with it and totally dig it.

While I don`t have a lot of firsthand experience with android (thus I make no claims to be any sort of expert), I do listen to a lot of tech podcasts. From everything I`ve heard, if I were to go with an android phone I`d look at the Google phones. From what I understand they get the "purest" version of android without a lot of gimmicky stuff laid on top. I think you also get earliest access to security updates as they become available. As mentioned, the new camera is supposed to be no slouch. I`ve got a friend getting a pixel 2 for a work phone - He`s also a long time iPhone user so I`m looking forward to hearing his thoughts on it. He`ll also be getting an iPhone X for a personal phone, so he`ll be doing lots of comparisons I`m sure.

The cameras on all these phones just keep getting better and better - You`ll come out ahead on that front no matter what.

Let us know what you go with!

Post Thanks / Like

s8, s8+, or note8 would be on my short list
    Reflective Impressions
    www.instagram.com/reflectiveimpressions
    Authorized Feynlab Installer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information