Post Thanks / Like

Post Anyone love to work on their cars? I wrote something for ya...

Hands-on experience: MJ W System 4 screwdriver bit set

Manufacturer image:

Introduction
    Since I started to look after my Mercedes Benz and Nissan, I have growing appreciation of premium hand tools which exhibit high precision and built to last. My collection of hand tool keeps expanding and I think it is time for me to write something.

Screwdrivers are fundamental for all types of repair works, be it automobile, electronics or house hold furniture. The first thing I would like to share is a crossover of Chinese consumer electronics brand and premium German hand tool company.

We had seen big companies moved production from the West to the East for cost-down reasons, and the results aint pretty. MJ is a young Chinese company, but W has a name to lose. Let`s see if W can impress?

This is a hand tool newbie`s first post so bear with me. I wrote this with my hands on experience of actual item and limited understanding in Chinese words. There might be some words that a direct translation does not exist, so pardon me if some terms do not make sense because it is what they wrote.

Product description (adapted from manufacturer):

米-brand與德國高階工具品牌 w 聯手打造,24 枚高精度批頭,總共有 9 個種類,適用於石英手錶、相機、收音機、電腦、手機、無人機等常規家用小電器,滿足大多數日常 修理需求。
    MJ and a premium German tool brand work together. 24 pieces of high precision screwdriver bit. Total of 9 categories. For quartz watches, camera, radio, computer, mobile phone, drones and other small household appliances etc. Meet most of the daily repair needs.

Claims (found on manufacturer`s web site):
    - 鋁合金外殼 Aluminum alloy casing
    High-precision one piece molding process
    Rounded edges for comfortable grip
    Sandblasting anodized surface treatment, anti-sweat anti-corrosion
    - 24 枚 wiha 精密批頭 24 pieces wiha high precision bits
    High precision bits with tight tolerance
    Double anti-rust treatment
    Hard but not brittle, pliable but strong
    - 磁吸批頭收納 Magnetic storage case
    - 鋁合金手柄 Aluminum alloy bit holder
    Anodized treatment
    Special slip resistant handle
    Rotating cap design

Details:
    1. Packaging: available in magnetic bit holder + 24 bits set + magnetic case package
    2. Directions:
    Do not work with live electricity.
    Max torque 2Nm.
    Limited warranty 14 days.
    3. Construction: In matte metal. Satisfactory build quality in my opinion and should hold the products years with no problem.
    4. Color: Grey
    5. Scent: No iron smell observed. Should be aluminum.
    6. MSRP: Chinese Yuan RMBY139 (US$20)
    7. Cost per use: N/A
    8: Manufacturer: MJ
    9: Made in: China
    10: Awards: reddot award 2017 winner

Manufacturer image:

Additional Products used:
    - Vernier Caliper
    - Camera / lens
    - Water Sprite for... you guessed it

Environmental Conditions:
    23*C / 73F
    ~50% RH

We shall see some photos first and rejoin for the pros, cons and verdict.
    Normally I only use my own photos, but manufacturer photos reflect the actual product I received, and are clear enough to carry the message I wanted to say.

Open the shipping carton, and you will be welcomed with a smooth matte paper packaging like those you find on Apple products.
    On top left corner you see the reddot award logo.

Inside the white paper packaging, you will see a smooth matte and handy aluminum alloy case which put all your bits and holder in.
    Case has a dimenion of 168mm * 67mm * 17mm and a weight of approx. 300g.
    Manufacturer image:

I will be closely comparing the Made in China tool to the original Made in Germany offer in this review.

Press the top of aluminum case, and the inner case pop up a few mm like as SD card.
    Manufacturer image:

As you can see, tools are neatly arranged in a high quality plastic inner case. Note that the bits and holder were NOT held by clamps. They were held by the magnetic inner case was magnetic so the bits wont drop out or get in the way of sliding track. Very impressive. On contrary, most of my other Made in Germany tools set do not have this those tools just dropped out and make a mess inside the box.

This is a good photo of all items you get in the case - 24 System 4 bits and 1 System 4 magnetic aluminum handle.
    Manufacturer image:

Let`s see the bit holders first.
    The Chinese and German holders compared side by side.
    You can see the Chinese one has a slim long design with a smooth surface which might be slippery for wet or oily hands.
    Knurled handle found on German tool provides a non-slip grip.

German bit holder measures 12.6mm in diameter.
    Chinese bit holder measures 9.4mm in diameter.

The bits are of System 4 format, which means they work based on a 4mm hex drive. I believe System 4 is exclusiv to W and does not fit the common 1/4" bits.

A better pictorial summary of all the System 4 bits included.
    Manufacturer image:

The bits are marked with the brand name, and the type.
    Manufacturer claims imported S2 steel 60 +/-2 HRC.
    HRC is Rockwell Scale, and typical values of very hard steel fall within 55-66.
    Again, impressive if that is true.
    Manufacturer image:

Pay attention to the finishing on tip of bit holders. Chinese one have a smoother finishing.

The magnet on Chinese bit holder is similar to the German counterpart in strength, but crispier in engagement if there is such a word.
    Bits extends out for about 16.6mm in length when engaged.

A full picture of Chinese tool in usable form.

Additional details of product from left to right:
    1. Top of aluminum case where you press to pop up the inner case.
    2. Screwdriver bit in action
    3. Rotating cap of aluminum bit holder.
    Manufacturer image:

Another "Tool in action" shot.
    Some German or Swiss bits I have in hand are better in precision and fit, but they cost a few times more.
    Manufacturer image:

Pros:
    +1 Beautiful and neat
    +2 Smooth finishing
    +3 Thoughtful arrangement

Cons:
    -1 Expensive option for 24 pieces of Made in China bits. For similar price, you can buy 31 pieces of Made in Germany bits from proper German tool distributors, or a whole lot of Chinese bits.

???:
    1. 14 days of warranty is rather short. Hey they are bits.
    2. 2Nm max torque may be on the low side. I have seen bits withstanding higher values. That said, you probably shouldnt be applying anything more than 2Nm on such small bits and screwheads? Also, the narrow bit holder design does not help with applying high torque.

Conclusion:
    The MJ W System 4 screwdriver bit set is like an Alfa Romeo - good looking cars that are pleasant to drive, but are never cheap or meant to be the outright fastest car on road.

Impressive design and build quality. Elegant design will not look out of place in the glove box of Audi luxury car. The smooth hand feeling, hexagonal holder shape and rotating cap makes it really a pleasing experience to use like what you can expect from German design.

The machining of bits is good. Take it easy and I saw no difference in performance from competitors in daily screw work. However, consider these tools are Made in China by a Chinese consumer electronics brand, they are not cheap at all.

To conclude, these are tools that impress, but not all rounded winner yet.

Score:
    Build quality: ★★★★★
    Performance: ★★★☆☆
    Value: ★★☆☆☆
    User friendliness: ★★★★☆
    Overall: 3.5
    Acceptable.

Example:
    0/5 - Fail / Does not meet its claims
    1/5 - Fail / Only meet some of its claims, and may have some disadvantages
    2/5 - Fail / Only meet some of its claims, but may have some advantages
    3/5 - Acceptable / Meets all of its claims
    4/5 - Recommended / Meets all of its claims well and possess advantage over common products
    5/5 - Highly recommended / Meets all of its claims and set a new standard on the market

Disclaimer:
    I have no affiliation with manufacturer or distributer.
    I am a sicko with a lot of time and energy to do ridiculous things at home.
    I post reviews and get banned forever on forums like GJ because those cute people think the work is worthy of me getting paid.
    Happy but sadly I am not getting paid for writing positive and negative comments without brand names, and Products are purchased at public retail price with PayPal transaction ID 174037840V933#### for my personal evaluation and online sharing with no sponsorship for a biased review.
    Images, brand names and trademarks credit to manufacturer or their respective owners.

Hope you have enjoyed the review. Questions and comments welcomed.
    If you like it, my next post will be about some Hazet oil change tools and Gedore tool sets!

The manufacturer has 2 YouTube videos about this tool set.
    You may check them out if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMjbZLcYE_w
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMjbZLcYE_w">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMjbZLcYE_w" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjoDYGcb3u0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjoDYGcb3u0">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjoDYGcb3u0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Manufacturing of the bits.
    Manufacturer image:
    Hello!
    My name is Dennis!

Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone love to work on their cars? I wrote something for ya...

Fancy. Too much for me to spend unless I needed a special tool.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

PPLd- Hey, I enjoyed reading this (even though I`m not looking for more screwdrivers).

I`ve always liked my Wiha stuff and was curious how something like the MJ would compare. Interesting that some of the finishing is actually better, but I`m all about how they fit so for I Really Care situations I reach for the pricey ones lest I [mess] up a fastener (which might not be so easy to replace).

I`ll be looking forward to your take on the Gedore sockets; seems like there`s always *one* brand of socket that fits a given fastener better than my others and with a 12-pointer I`d sure want a good fit. Also wonder about the ratchet...some of my fancy ones were utter junk (yeah you, Facom!).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    Fancy. Too much for me to spend unless I needed a special tool.
    Al,

Yes I agree with you.
    They are not cheap, especially when you consider the Made in China price is comparable to Made in Germany price.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    PPLd- Hey, I enjoyed reading this (even though I`m not looking for more screwdrivers).

I`ve always liked my Wiha stuff and was curious how something like the MJ would compare. Interesting that some of the finishing is actually better, but I`m all about how they fit so for I Really Care situations I reach for the pricey ones lest I [mess] up a fastener (which might not be so easy to replace).

I`ll be looking forward to your take on the Gedore sockets; seems like there`s always *one* brand of socket that fits a given fastener better than my others and with a 12-pointer I`d sure want a good fit. Also wonder about the ratchet...some of my fancy ones were utter junk (yeah you, Facom!).
    Accumulator,

I am happy to hear you enjoyed it!
    And yes Wiha Germany is top notch stuff as you can expect from any premium Made in Germany stuff.
    Great ergonomics, how close they fit, and build quality. A set of Wiha will sure serve you many years.

For "screwing things", there is only so much torque a bolt, nut, screw etc. can receive before cam out.
    Just like there is only so much wax our paint can receive, or you will have strong arms.
    Use anti-seize, Loctite etc. and let science do the job.
    Take it easy and I have not destroyed any tool or bolts in recent 5 years.
    In this manner, I expect the Wiha China items to serve me a few good years too.

Regarding ratchet socket sets, I have GearWrench, Craftsman, Famex, Proxxon, Hazet, Gedore etc.
    The reason I invested in Gedore over Hazet ratchets sockets set is because Gedore have finer teeth count and curved socket walls.
    Hazet is premium brand with big price tag, but their ratchets are coarse tooth and socket are often straight sided.
    Hello!
    My name is Dennis!

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, I am still testing my Gedore toys.
    Let me tease you with the following pic:
    Hello!
    My name is Dennis!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PPLd View Post
    By the way, I am still testing my Gedore toys.
    Looking forward to more reviews...

Thread Information