Thread: FIL Funny Story

Post Thanks / Like

FIL Funny Story

My father in Law is a great guy. He is 84 and has all his marbles. He is a MACGYVER type of fix it guy.

Once cut the packaging off my kids fudge sticks cookies to get some glossy black plastic to glue over a scratch on a black car.

Well 15 years later, he`s still at it:

He has a white car that he leases. He is returning it this Saturday.

He noticed that he scraped the white paint off the front spoiler going up a steep driveway. The white paint scraped off in a 3" x 4 " section.

We discussed him buying touch up paint at the dealer and I would touch it up for him. He was planning to come over last Saturday at 9AM to have me do it.

He pulls up and I go out to get to work. As walk over I no longer see the black spot. As I get closer I see a mess. Looks like someone spackled over the spot and I see deep brush marks ! He put 3 coats of flat, white , interior ceiling paint ! LOL. I said what did you do that for? He says no sense in buying touch up paint if I`m giving the car back.

It is about 10 shades different than his tri coat pearl factory paint. He says, just sand it flat and put some wax on it to make it shine. All I have on hand is 1500 and 3000 grit for headlights and scratches.

I had been soaking it in prep for this project. So I begin sanding and now my driveway is milky white. Before long the whole mess is tacky and I tell him it all needs to come off. I wipe it clean, and since we don`t have the correct paint, I suggest putting a piece a white electrical tape over the area, and nobody will see it. He says do you have touch up paint for any of your white cars? I say yes I do, and you can use the pearl from my pearl white infiniti I returned already. He is OK with that but wants to mix the 3 parts together. I said, let me take a shot at this. Its a 3 part touch up kit, I never opened. The solid color first- dry with heat gun AND SAND BETWEEN BOTH COATS, pearlized color coat- 2x heat gun AND WET SAND in between both and clear tinted COAT 2X, HEAT GUN AND WET SANDED BETWEEN COATS.

Not perfect, but lease return approved by ME. This is a 1 hr process start to finish. I think it would have sailed through lease return inspection. It is under the bumper on the spoiler.

Well I am at work today, it is 5:10PM, he calls, he decided to sand it, and went to far. All he had was 60 grit at home, and it took off the paint. Imagine that? He wants to come over tonight @ 6:30 PM to fix it-Again.

Should be a fun project in the dark. Oh-He curbed a wheel too, but don`t worry, he has silver paint.

Thanks for listening, I feel much better now.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FIL Funny Story

Great story!!!!!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes JSFM35X liked this post
    Thanks JSFM35X thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes trashmanssd, JSFM35X liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You are a great Husband!
    Likes JSFM35X liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I`m done. Sanded it , repainted it. One coat of each. Went to get the extension cord and heat gun to cure it and he took the back of his finger and smoothed it out . What the hell already. I just left it. It`s dark and I`m done. He`s going to give it back tomorrow instead of Saturday. They don`t take lease returns on Saturday or after 4pm or in the rain?
    Likes trashmanssd, SWETM, Ronkh liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

He sounds more like Wile E Coyote than Macgyver

It was nice of you to fix the boo boo over, and over, and...........

Post Thanks / Like

My grandfather was the same way...paint brush, roller. He loved to DIY and save a few bucks. It still makes me go aaaagggh!

Thread Information