Post Thanks / Like

Truck driver fired for giving away plywood during Irma

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...cle-1.3495954\

A truck driver says he was fired after giving away plywood to Florida residents desperate to board up their houses before Hurricane Irma.Tim McCrory brought an emergency shipment of plywood to a Home Depot in Zephyrhills, outside Tampa, on Friday night as the storm marched its way through the Caribbean to the U.S.
    He told the Daily News that he was running late because of a flat tire, and the store was closed when he got there around 9 p.m.
    The 27-year-old driver planned to go back up north before being woken from a nap by a cop tapping on his window around 2:30 a.m. when he learned that the area was in desperate need of the exact supplies that were in the back of his truck
    Woman missing nine months found dead during Irma preparations
    “I knew going into it that there was a good chance I would lose my job, but the safety of families far outweighed the cost,” he said Thursday.
    McCrory said that cops and civilians gathered with hopes of getting protection for their homes unloaded roughly 950 sheets of plywood, with an estimated 150 homes covered because of the wood.
    Police officers and residents helped unload the plywood from McCrory`s truck early Saturday morning as Irma approached.

(GOFUNDME)

Resident Tracy Dillon Drew told the Daily News that she and her family were among those in western Florida who scrambled to prepare for a trajectory that had Irma, then a Category 5 hurricane, heading right for them.

“The situation was humans caring about humans. Americans caring about Americans,” Drew said of the truck driver’s generosity.
    Fla. girl dies from generator in home after Hurricane Irma
    She exchanged phone numbers with him and texted him as she survived the storm with the help of his gift, though later found out that “Western Express Trucking has decided to let him go for his choice to help our community.”
    McCrory said he was told he had lost his job on Monday, and is currently at home in Massachusetts.
    The trucking company’s CEO Paul Wieck did not confirm the firing, but told WTSP that “the plywood belonged to our customer.”
    Hurricane Irma brings violent winds, flooding as it touches down in Puerto Rico, Caribbean islands, and Florida

Western Express did not immediately respond to a request for comment from the Daily News.
    McCrory says he is also regularly in contact with the police in Zephyrville, and hopes to go back down for a visit someday.
    Drew has also called on the community that benefited from the plywood, and the country at large looking to support those affected by Irma, to get behind the driver.
    A GoFundMe campaign for Drew had raised more than $1,300 as of Thursday afternoon.
    Go fund me ~ https://www.gofundme.com/support-tim-mcrory
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.
    Thanks Civicclutch thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Truck driver fired for giving away plywood during Irma

Wow that is sad. The company he works for should be ashamed.
    Likes PRND[S] liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

$7600 not bad

company is gonna write that off anyways.. shame on them

on second thought- they totally could have spun that in their favor. shame on them

Brandt K.
    Likes Oneheadlite, PRND[S], shamrockmn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    company is gonna write that off anyways..
    https://youtu.be/upifaeK0B5U
    Likes trashmanssd, 512detail, tyusaf liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Tough situation, the freight company can`t just let drivers decide when to give loads away and who deserves them. I think he did the right thing but its not my stuff or my customers load he gave away. A few people could stood up and quickly and saved this guys neck and got some good publicity out the situation. Home depot could piped in and said thank you for taking care of our customers in a time of need and that they would foot the bill for the lumber, then gone and put him or his likeness in a commercial. The police/township (police chief, selectman,, mayor, board health member) could stepped up and said we confiscated/took the load by eminent domain for use in an emergency situation. The freight company could said while its against company policy to do what he did it was an extreme circumstance and we will pay for the load of lumber and we are glad our driver was able to help those people and get him self out of there safely. But it seems the only one willing to put his neck out on the line was the truck driver himself, my guess is he will be hired by someone rather quickly with a good heart and some marketing savvy.
    Likes Ronkh, PRND[S], RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Fire this beta moron. If he was transporting a truck full of money - he prolly would have handed that out as well...Someone owned that wood - and it wasn`t him...

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, in this case, he is most definitely an alpha. He knew he would get fired, he understood the repercussions of his actions. He was told not to travel to ATL and could not deliver his load. For all we know the load could have been lost in the storm, no one wants water damaged wood.

I suspect he would have known that money wouldn`t prevent damage to local residents homes.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

"No good deed goes unpunished" Sometimes doing the "right" thing depends on your perspective.
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

You aware ? Is this the misc ? Lol

Have not heard that in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    Fire this beta moron. If he was transporting a truck full of money - he prolly would have handed that out as well...Someone owned that wood - and it wasn`t him...

Thread Information