Post Thanks / Like

What hand tools do you use?

Just curious who`s using what and how big of a collection. I only have a small set since I started my collection, plus I only really use it for light duty stuff like disassembly and brakes etc.

Gedore 1/4 drive set
    Gedore 3/8 set
    Gedore 1/2 set
    Gedore VDE Screwdrivers
    Gedore VDE Pliers
    Gedore Mini VDE Cutters
    Gedore Metric wrench set 8-19
    Gedore 1lb hammer & Long punch (Can`t believe how much I use this)
    Wera ratcheting slider screw driver
    SK X-frame ratcheting wrenches
    WIHA Security bits and Torx
    Knipex cutters

Power tools (Not much)

Metabo 12v powermaxx bs quick Drill
    Metabo 12v powermaxx bs Impact
    Metabo 18v Impact (LTX-400)

Yea, that`s pretty much everything... I have a lot more to go!
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What hand tools do you use?

I`m on the other end of the spectrum - (Mechanics) hand tools are how I make a living.

Haven`t heard of the Gedore stuff before, where are you located? Looks like nice quality stuff.

Knipex makes really awesome stuff. They make my favorite channel lock style pliers for sure, and I have a set of pliers for alignments that work on the pipe-wrench principle that are just tenacious in how much they grip rusty tie rods. My 8" Knipex side cutters are also what I use to cut the tip off my Snap On side cutters when I want to get them warrantied.

For me, I have predominantly Snap On stuff; mainly because I liked the Snap On guy at my first job. I also have a spattering of Matco and Mac. It`s a variety. Example - I have 11 different style 10mm wrenches from Snap on, Matco, Cornwell, and Gear wrench.

Electric I have
    Snap on: Cordless ratchets (1/4 and 3/8), 1/2" cordless drill, 3/8" 18v 3/8" impact (retired), and 14.4v bit driver type screw gun. Also have several rechargable lights from them.
    Milwaukee: M12 90° electric drill, M12 Hackzall (love that thing!), and M18 Fuel 3/8" impact (A beast!). Also got a really nice M12 Rover LED light that`s "True View" color, works pretty damn well! Keep wanting to write up a review for it, but never have time to take pictures to make it worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

I have such a mismatched set of tools. Mostly Chinese Craftsman junk. I miss borrowing Snap-On wrenches, ratchets, and sockets at my dad`s shop. My dad`s mechanic trusted me enough to leave his Snap On tool chest open for me to use. I remember looking at buying a ratcheting Snap On screwdriver. I borrowed it so often that I wanted my own. It had a screw cap with bits inside. I think in the late 90`s early 2000`s that screwdriver was $65-75 IIRC. I passed

I need a bigger garage and a good tool set.

I too had never heard of Gedore tools. Germans do make quality tools. They look like very nice stuff and $$$. Quality comes at a price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Driver View Post
    Just curious who`s using what and how big of a collection. I only have a small set since I started my collection, plus I only really use it for light duty stuff like disassembly and brakes etc.

Gedore 1/4 drive set
    Gedore 3/8 set
    Gedore 1/2 set
    Gedore VDE Screwdrivers
    Gedore VDE Pliers
    Gedore Mini VDE Cutters
    Gedore Metric wrench set 8-19
    Gedore 1lb hammer & Long punch (Can`t believe how much I use this)
    Wera ratcheting slider screw driver
    SK X-frame ratcheting wrenches
    WIHA Security bits and Torx
    Knipex cutters
    That is a big collection of Gedore hand tools.
    Are you located in Germany?

I use Proxxon, Knipex, Wera and Wiha tools, as well as some Craftsman, GearWrench and Tekton.
    I also have some Hazet kits and Felo drivers.
    Gedore are expensive, for that price usually I go for Hazet.
    Hello!
    My name is Dennis!

Post Thanks / Like

I`m a tech at a mopar dealer I got a pile of stuff. For hand tools Snap on is my choice followed by matco and then mac. Several random companies that make good this or that too

Power tools been pretty happy with Milwaukee just cause the price to warranty ratio

In this game it gets about being able to easily warranty stuff. We don`t have time to drive to a random sears or wherever to warranty a sub par craftsman socket every couple weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I do not earn a living with my tools but they sure so allow me to do a lot of my own work so they save me $, and I enjoy doing the job.

My pliers and cutters are Knipex, Channel Lock, and some cheaper off brand stuff. My main screw driver set is Fellows, I have a few Snap on ratcheting drivers regular and stubby-the best 10/10, I have a few Williams ratcheting screw drivers 9/10
    my ratchet set 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and metric are all Pittsburg pro. I had a full USA Craftsman set before Sandy but those were gone in a flash and I replaced them in one shot. I planned on upgrading those but I have never broken one, and one where the finish got funky- I brought to store and wwas given a new one off the shelf out of a set. I am good with that for now. My power tools are M12, and M18 Milwaukee drill, hammer drill, screw driver, LED light, Hacksaw, and impact gun plus many batteries and chargers. I started accumulating Ryobi stuff so I have a bunch of the newer one lime green stuff but stopped and went to Milwaukee for a few more dollars you get a lot more tool.

I also have a lot of my old junk I keep to loan out. I wont loan my core tools beause most people don`t take care of (Sutff).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LEDetailng View Post

I too had never heard of Gedore tools. Germans do make quality tools. They look like very nice stuff and $$$. Quality comes at a price.
    Trust me, buying directly from Germany it`s cheaper than snap on and blows their stuff away.

Quote Originally Posted by PPLd View Post
    That is a big collection of Gedore hand tools.
    Are you located in Germany?

I use Proxxon, Knipex, Wera and Wiha tools, as well as some Craftsman, GearWrench and Tekton.
    I also have some Hazet kits and Felo drivers.
    Gedore are expensive, for that price usually I go for Hazet.

No, I`m not in Germany but here stateside. I prefer Gedore due to their finishes and their tools literally are indestructible. The matte finish is amazing, grips are perfect and they have tons specialized auto tools from brake punches to lined impact sockets.

As far as price, I get them relatively cheap. I`m an excellent deal hunter and don`t pay anywhere near the list price, plus I buy directly from Germany. USD vs Euro always helps.

Personally, I don`t think anyone beats the Germans as far ergonomics but that`s debatable. I`m done buying stuff that breaks/fails, if you buy the proper tool for the proper application it will almost never fail. Another reason why I plan on buying is these companies won`t always make them in Germany. The new metabo stuff is being made in China, I went out and got the last series that`s made in Germany.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Thread Information