Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The good dr oldz

Doc was sent to: rlmccarty2000, Caraman, Acuras82, Just Jesus and Dr Olds.
    If anyone else needs one, send me a PM with your email address.
    I wish I would have seen it years ago, as it would have saved me all the $$ from buying so damn many waxes in search of the holy grail of carnauba.

Thank you Doc, for all the time and effort it took to put this together. I`ll be looking forward to your updates.

Bill
    Likes Stokdgs, JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    Doc was sent to: rlmccarty2000, Caraman, Acuras82, Just Jesus and Dr Olds.
    If anyone else needs one, send me a PM with your email address.
    I wish I would have seen it years ago, as it would have saved me all the $$ from buying so damn many waxes in search of the holy grail of carnauba.

Thank you Doc, for all the time and effort it took to put this together. I`ll be looking forward to your updates.

Bill
    thank you kind sir!!

what are some of your favorites?
    Likes Ronkh, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dr. Oldz I loved your take on the waxes. I’ve got a jar of CG Lava and never used it because it looks like crap. Now that I have read your instructions I can’t wait to try it. I wish you had tried some of Son1c’s waxes. He had a limited run of one called Autism and it is one of the best waxes I have ever used.

i think it’s a shame that waxes are losing favor. They have so much more character than coatings. I go on the Detail World forum and marvel at the waxes that they have and can even special order waxes to match their cars. It’s a whole different world over there, but coatings are slowly taking over there also.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Dr. Oldz I loved your take on the waxes. I’ve got a jar of CG Lava and never used it because it looks like crap. Now that I have read your instructions I can’t wait to try it. I wish you had tried some of Son1c’s waxes. He had a limited run of one called Autism and it is one of the best waxes I have ever used.
    i think it’s a shame that waxes are losing favor. They have so much more character than coatings. I go on the Detail World forum and marvel at the waxes that they have and can even special order waxes to match their cars. It’s a whole different world over there, but coatings are slowly taking over there also.
    Lava is certainly unique. But the thing with it that people don’t like is that it doesn’t bead super tight. I have one or 2 Son1c waxes but not that one.
    I’m still not a fan of coatings personally. And after having used a bunch, I still dont use them unless someone really really wants one. Too much involved with coatings. Special shampoos, special QD’s, have to have your shoes tied a certain way when you apply, high spots, low spots, medium spots, special quad polar sun glasses, a bible of instructions and tons of false promises about durability and scratch resistance from manufacturers. Coatings are for hobbiest like us that can maintain them properly. But just my opinion. In my area of NE PA the acidic rain doesn’t play well with the coatings. I prefer to spend time polishing to perfection rather then coating mumble jumble.

Nuba just plain ole looks better!!! It’s like the infomercial... “set it and forget it”
    Likes Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Oldz View Post
    Lava is certainly unique. But the thing with it that people don’t like is that it doesn’t bead super tight. I have one or 2 Son1c waxes but not that one.
    I’m still not a fan of coatings personally. And after having used a bunch, I still dont use them unless someone really really wants one. Too much involved with coatings. Special shampoos, special QD’s, have to have your shoes tied a certain way when you apply, high spots, low spots, medium spots, special quad polar sun glasses, a bible of instructions and tons of false promises about durability and scratch resistance from manufacturers. Coatings are for hobbiest like us that can maintain them properly. But just my opinion. In my area of NE PA the acidic rain doesn’t play well with the coatings. I prefer to spend time polishing to perfection rather then coating mumble jumble.

Nuba just plain ole looks better!!! It’s like the infomercial... “set it and forget it”
    I think the word is spreading that coatings are not the panacea that they were thought they would be. Although newer formulations that are self healing seem to be the future. Coatings definitely are a money maker for commercial detailers, but I would have a hard time promising scratch and mar resistance when we know coatings will mar and scratch pretty easily. Now we see coatings coming out of China for less than $5 shipped, then someone tries to sell a coating for $200, you start to think “snake oil”.

Waxes are also fun to collect. One of the guys in England has over 150! I keep wanting to buy more waxes, but I will never use up the ones I have now, but I guess that is really not the point, it’s the fun of finding and testing that really makes the hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

The good dr oldz

A favorite topic of mine. I watch these dudes becomes slaves to coatings. Hundreds of dollars spent on special soaps and what nots as
    “maintenance” & then maybe thousands trying different coatings in the long run.

Which would be great - if they lived up to the hype. But the reality never seems to meet the copy. Plus, they are actually more work in the long run I believe for Autopian types - because you do nothing but screw with them: etching, water spots, high spots, loss of beading, “contamination” (lol), toppers, etc...

With a decent wax / sealant - it’s just wash & reapply. Somehow I sealant that can last a year, like Duragloss and never gets “contaminated”. It’s just time to reapply when it dies....No surprises. No headaches. Mix and match almost any product you like.

It’s fun to try a lotta coatings /waxes & all - but the reality is something like Collinite 915 / WGDGPS costs like 50 cents an application - and a coating costs $100+ for more headaches. That may be as much as 200x as much for something that may or may not even last as long as a durable wax/sealant. . I just can’t be bothered.

So the wax caveat? Really there is just one - apply it a few times a year. Use a spray wax after you wash & you may not even need to do that. It take maybe 1/2 for us to wax a car? Use something like Prima Hydromax or Rupes P808 and Just was as you dry. Easy, cheap, predictable - great results.

Dunno.

But if I was detailing for dollars - I’d be all over coatings.
    Likes Stokdgs, rlmccarty2000 liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    A favorite topic of mine. I watch these dudes becomes slaves to coatings. Hundreds of dollars spent on special soaps and what nots as
    “maintenance” & then maybe thousands trying different coatings in the long run.

Which would be great - if they lived up to the hype. But the reality never seems to meet the copy. Plus, they are actually more work in the long run I believe for Autopian types - because you do nothing but screw with them: etching, water spots, high spots, loss of beading, “contamination” (lol), toppers, etc...

With a decent wax / sealant - it’s just wash & reapply. Somehow I sealant that can last a year, like Duragloss and never gets “contaminated”. It’s just time to reapply when it dies....No surprises. No headaches. Mix and match almost any product you like.

It’s fun to try a lotta coatings /waxes & all - but the reality is something like Collinite 915 / WGDGPS costs like 50 cents an application - and a coating costs $100+ for more headaches. That may be as much as 200x as much for something that may or may not even last as long as a durable wax/sealant. . I just can’t be bothered.

So the wax caveat? Really there is just one - apply it a few times a year. Use a spray wax after you wash & you may not even need to do that. It take maybe 1/2 for us to wax a car? Use something like Prima Hydromax or Rupes P808 and Just was as you dry. Easy, cheap, predictable - great results.

Dunno.

But if I was detailing for dollars - I’d be all over coatings.
    I started out as a car-child, the early version of what became a car-guy...

I have coated my vehicles with something very simple to use that just lasts and lasts for me.. I don`t and will never buy into all the extra stuff marketed to put on coatings to "refresh", "recharge" etc., the coating all the time, etc... My coating does not require it, and looks great all the time..

I like it that my new `09 Jeep has only been paint corrected twice in 9 years.. First time, to apply the coating, 2nd time with just Optimum Finish Polish, to remove the first coating and apply it again after 4.5 years... The coating protected the paint, it was easy to use a fine polish with a fine pad to clean it all up with Rotary Power..

All I have ever used to wash them is Carpro Reset (after it was invented) and nothing else, nothing in between..
    So my Coating experience is very direct and simple to maintain..

I love not having to do anything to my vehicles except wash them occasionally, and admire how great they shine all time..
    This is how coatings were originally marketed and performed, way over 10 years ago...

Then,, all these new products came in - now all the time - and they all seem to require a lot of extra maintenance..
    For sure, there are a great group of people that really enjoy all the new stuff, love doing things with it all the time, and that is also very good for all of us to get great feedback from..
    Thank you guys and gals for your help !

I personally want less work in the garage unless its on the clock, and more time to do all the other bazillion things that need to get done..
    But I will always be a car-guy...
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I’m using the wrong coating products, but after a year my coating starts looking dull. I only use Reset to wash too. A couple of days ago I used some PA High Gloss on my coating and the gloss reappeared. I don’t know if the heat affects the coating or what, but at least to my eyes coatings lose something in the shine department over time. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you kind sir!!

what are some of your favorites?
    If me and my OEM lacquer El Camino were to be exiled to a remote location and I could only take one wax with me, it would be Colli 915.
    If said remote location had a judged show, I`d scoop out some of the 915 and smuggle in a small pot of Souveran also.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Billy Jack;2146366]If me and my OEM lacquer El Camino were to be exiled to a remote location and I could only take one wax with me, it would be Colli 915.
    If said remote location had a judged show, I`d scoop out some of the 915 and smuggle in a small pot of Souveran

The Benchmark in durability. I have pushed this over 6 months thru winter weather and 915 still prevailed. I have yet to find a product to last longer with exceptions to OC and OG.

Rich warm glow with depth to match.
    Works on all colors exceptionally well and excells on dark colors.
    Won`t stain trim.
    Application is fairly easy but MUST be applied thinly to make removal easy.
    Beads water like crazy......915 truly hates water and shows it.
    Can be layered but I never found a need to do so.
    I would put this against my most expensive waxes and chances are 915 comes out on top.
    For those looking for a true "Nuba" look with a budget in mind here is your answer.
    I always found an edgeless MF works best for removal followed by a plush MF for a final wipe.
    As with most Nubas, you will find 915 to collect dust and pollen faster than sealants.
    Not a pretty fruit juice smell.........has a solvent like smell to it.

Doc Doc help me out I need to know
    I have yet to find a product to last longer with exceptions to OC and OG. what is OC and OG

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, they were the infancy of coatings:

now dont quote me on the exact names. But they were Optimums first 2 coatings. Opti-coat and Opti-gloss. It’s been a while. One was a “professional only” install. Think Opti-coat. They were actually the best coatings I ha e tried to date. Not sure if their composition was Sio2 or an Optimum propriety formula. They lasted over a year with good beading if I recall Correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack View Post
    If me and my OEM lacquer El Camino were to be exiled to a remote location and I could only take one wax with me, it would be Colli 915.
    If said remote location had a judged show, I`d scoop out some of the 915 and smuggle in a small pot of Souveran also.

Bill

915 is definitely a winner!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I don`t know you Dr. Oldz but you sound like a gentleman and a scholar.
    That nuba review thread link is solid!
    Thanks Dr Oldz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I think the word is spreading that coatings are not the panacea that they were thought they would be. Although newer formulations that are self healing seem to be the future. Coatings definitely are a money maker for commercial detailers, but I would have a hard time promising scratch and mar resistance when we know coatings will mar and scratch pretty easily. Now we see coatings coming out of China for less than $5 shipped, then someone tries to sell a coating for $200, you start to think “snake oil”.

Waxes are also fun to collect. One of the guys in England has over 150! I keep wanting to buy more waxes, but I will never use up the ones I have now, but I guess that is really not the point, it’s the fun of finding and testing that really makes the hobby.
    I offer them but half the time I end up talking clients down from a coating depending on discussions and after care of the car. Sometimes going with a sealant combo like master sealant/ rapidwaxx combo or something similar or stand alone is a far better option then dropping so much money on a coating that you may not get the full benefit of if you don`t care for it properly.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, they were the infancy of coatings:

now dont quote me on the exact names. But they were Optimums first 2 coatings. Opti-coat and Opti-gloss. It’s been a while. One was a “professional only” install. Think Opti-coat. They were actually the best coatings I ha e tried to date. Not sure if their composition was Sio2 or an Optimum propriety formula. They lasted over a year with good beading if I recall Correctly.

Thank You Dr Olds

I have kept the whole thread read and reread it often and bought a number of waxes off it always tried to figure out what wax was OC and OG. Now I know

Thanks great reading for a wax lover

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information