Page 103 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3538990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 1596
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Unofficial *Official* Politics Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Key word--WANT--they don`t HAVE to.
    Businesses exist to make money. Why would they operate here if they can automatically make more money somewhere else? Whats so hard about that for a liberal to understand? You guys fight this on principle because tou think they should pay huge taxes since citizens do. But when theres no businesses left to tax because they could go elsewhere and get a better deal, then what? How are you going to fund welfare and planned parenthood with no tax revenue? Ever think about that? Its all hilarious because you fight the notion of trying to bring back coal and manufacturing jobs because you say those jobs are gone and its a global economy and we just have to adjust. Yet republicans fight for a competetive corporate tax structure on a global scale, to keep businesses here, and you guys do everything possible to sink the ship. Then say youre here fighting for American workers after youve pushed businesses out of the country. Only a liberal could justify this delusional way of thinking.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Businesses exist to make money. Why would they operate here if they can automatically make more money somewhere else? Whats so hard about that for a liberal to understand? You guys fight this on principle because tou think they should pay huge taxes since citizens do. But when theres no businesses left to tax because they could go elsewhere and get a better deal, then what? How are you going to fund welfare and planned parenthood with no tax revenue? Ever think about that? Its all hilarious because you fight the notion of trying to bring back coal and manufacturing jobs because you say those jobs are gone and its a global economy and we just have to adjust. Yet republicans fight for a competetive corporate tax structure on a global scale, to keep businesses here, and you guys do everything possible to sink the ship. Then say youre here fighting for American workers after youve pushed businesses out of the country. Only a liberal could justify this delusional way of thinking.
    You know, you don`t know anything about me, my political affiliations, etc. I fight the notion of bringing back manufacturing jobs? Twenty years ago I was railing about everything in Home Depot saying "made in China" on it, and telling anyone who would listen that this wasn`t going to end well for our country. It hasn`t. You`re drinking the Kool-Aid, why "would companies operate here if they can automatically make more money somewhere else?" Maybe because it`s the right thing to do for our country? Maybe you`re not, but I`m old enough to remember when people did things because they were right, not because it would make them more money, but you`re right, that time is long past.
    Likes Bunky liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect the trade war (could have started the day after the inauguration) is more about the election than concern for the American worker. It more about himself than the American people.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You mean we have a bad deal with ourselves. Name one Chinese brand that`s sold here, you can`t because there aren`t any (oh wait, there`s ZTE, which I never heard of until a month ago). It`s the American companies that have chosen to make/have their products made in China, including purportedly, Trump ties. As Pogo said, "we have met the enemy, and he is us".
    There are several with Lenovo being one of the most recognizable. Lenovo

Here is a recent list of the top 10 Chinese Brands sold in the US. brandz-10-most-powerful-chinese-brands-2017-1
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

You know, you don`t know anything about me, my political affiliations, etc. I fight the notion of bringing back manufacturing jobs? Twenty years ago I was railing about everything in Home Depot saying "made in China" on it, and telling anyone who would listen that this wasn`t going to end well for our country. It hasn`t. You`re drinking the Kool-Aid, why "would companies operate here if they can automatically make more money somewhere else?" Maybe because it`s the right thing to do for our country? Maybe you`re not, but I`m old enough to remember when people did things because they were right, not because it would make them more money, but you`re right, that time is long past.
    Youre right. It used to be considered immoral and was illegal to kill babies but liberals fought long and hard to make it seem normal and to be considered a “right.”
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPGood View Post
    There are several with Lenovo being one of the most recognizable. Lenovo

Here is a recent list of the top 10 Chinese Brands sold in the US. brandz-10-most-powerful-chinese-brands-2017-1
    So out of those 10, I`ve heard of Haier and Anker (Anker I`ve seen on Amazon for the first time in the past six weeks, never heard of them before that). I`m sorry, Lenovo doesn`t count. Lenovo is the printer and laptop business of IBM that they sold to the Chinese some years ago, along with their hard drive business to Hitachi, etc., because they decided it was more important to make money than to make things.

As I said, I`ve been railing against that philosophy for a long time. Ultimately, all the money will be with the people who make the "things" that are traded for money, not here. Businesses are run by people, those people decide what their company`s philosophy is going to be. The first guy who caved to Wal-Mart`s price pressure and moved his manufacturing to China provided a rationale for those that followed. But it was a choice, not a mandate.

So China steals our IP? Yeah, maybe...what about all the IP we sent over there? How is it that China wound up making iPhones? Did they steal the plans and then blackmail Apple into letting them make them? No, Apple taught them how to make iPhones, like countless other technologies that have been transferred, because Apple wanted the cheap labor. Sure, you`re right, companies always have had a profit motive, but today it`s more like a greed motive.
    Likes SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It’s the role of government to protect its citizens and China has plans to grow their economy while the only plans our government has is to try to win the next election. The only politicians that are telling the truth are those not running for re-election. The Democrats at least to pretend to care about the electorate, but now you can’t believe either side. Neither party has a defined goal, except to be elected. They are willing to say anything, promise anything, but back up nothing.

The Republicans try to control the masses with tax cuts while the US infrastructure crumbles. You can’t cut taxes and increase spending. The money has to come from somewhere. If someone says cutting taxes on businesses creates jobs one more time I think I will scream. We still give tax breaks on private jets and other rich boy items. We need to get “woke”.
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t like illegal immigration. I also don’t like the idea of children being removed from their parents and being basically incarcerated. Trump is holding children hostage. He says he doesn’t like doing it, but he will continue this heinous practice until Democrats cave and give in to his immigration policy. I’m assuming that means funding his wall. These are people he is torturing. Splitting up families is torture plain and simple. The situation many of these people are fleeing is horrendous. If anyone is not familiar with what is going on in El Salvador spend a few minutes googling it. We Americans are better than this and we need to do better. We are not holding our leadership responsible.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I don’t like illegal immigration. I also don’t like the idea of children being removed from their parents and being basically incarcerated. Trump is holding children hostage. He says he doesn’t like doing it, but he will continue this heinous practice until Democrats cave and give in to his immigration policy. I’m assuming that means funding his wall. These are people he is torturing. Splitting up families is torture plain and simple. The situation many of these people are fleeing is horrendous. If anyone is not familiar with what is going on in El Salvador spend a few minutes googling it. We Americans are better than this and we need to do better. We are not holding our leadership responsible.

I get it. I don’t support this specific policy but why do liberals seem to think we owe everyone that doesn’t like their country? No other country has that mentality. We can’t even take care of our veterans, why is it our duty to rescue these other people first?
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I get it. I don’t support this specific policy but why do liberals seem to think we owe everyone that doesn’t like their country? No other country has that mentality. We can’t even take care of our veterans, why is it our duty to rescue these other people first?
    I think it`s ironic that you are complaining about how we treat our veterans, while Mr. McCarty, who is a veteran, is worried about how we treat people from El Salvador.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it`s ironic that you are complaining about how we treat our veterans, while Mr. McCarty, who is a veteran, is worried about how we treat people from El Salvador.
    Sure, it is ironic. I simply think we need to prioritize, fix one before we try to take on another. And for the record, I’m not saying that separating families at the border is the right way to handle this issue. I also think we can all agree that our veterans deserve a lot better.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

"You liberals" seems to be a broad brush used by some to describe anyone they disagree with.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of the VA. I called them (the VA hospital)a week ago and tried to get a gastroenterology appointment. I was told my previous doctor had quit so I had to go back through my primary care doctor(who is located at a clinic) to get an appointment. So I call my primary care center and tell them what is going on and I ask if they can prioritize my appointment because of serious pain. They tell me ok and they will get back to me. I’m still waiting (which is normal). I will try again Monday. The VA goes through doctors the way we go through buffing pads.

I spent a year in Central America and when I got out of the military I went to Honduras and lived there for 9 years, so I know a little about how things are in those countries. El Salvador is the worst run of any country down there and that is saying a lot. The US has meddled in Central America forever so we just can’t distance ourselves from them and say it’s their fault their country is in such a mess. Our government supports whoever we think will bow down to us. Then when a dictator or puppet president does something wrong we try to distance ourselves from the country. We trained El Salvadoran death squads at FT. Benning, GA when I was there. We pushed Honduras into a “democratic “ type of government and now gangs rule the country. We have started wars down there and take no responsibility for them. It amazes me that, for the most part, the people of Central America still like us. I’m not so sure if another country had meddled in our affairs like we have done in theirs if I would forgive them. Trump calls them S—-hole countries, but the US has had a hand in making them that way.

Post Thanks / Like

We did so well with the Shah of Iran too.

Al
    The Need to Bead

TTQ B4U
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I don’t like illegal immigration. I also don’t like the idea of children being removed from their parents and being basically incarcerated. Trump is holding children hostage. He says he doesn’t like doing it, but he will continue this heinous practice until Democrats cave and give in to his immigration policy. I’m assuming that means funding his wall. These are people he is torturing. Splitting up families is torture plain and simple.
    the situation being described wasn`t created by Trump
    Trump isn`t holding anyone hostage
    These families aren`t being put in jail nor the kids in cages.

Is the policy perhaps being leverages as a deterrent to immigrants...perhaps but then the choice to enter illegally is on them not us or Trump. Their role is key in how they manage the care of their families. They make that choice first. What`s occurring isn`t happening TO THEM it`s happening BECAUSE OF THEM and THEIR Choices. IMO catch and release is stupid and needs to end. Just because someone makes it to our land doesn`t mean they get to stay and run free. They can stay in a pre-determined area / camp but no, we should not be wasting the courts time and setting dates they won`t ever show up for and then let them run free on our society. There`s a process that needs fix, held to and the numbers do need to be managed. NOthing in life is free and there`s no unlimited immigration number or open border here.

The situation many of these people are fleeing is horrendous. If anyone is not familiar with what is going on in El Salvador spend a few minutes googling it. We Americans are better than this and we need to do better. We are not holding our leadership responsible.
    agree, it sucks for some, but our role in the world isn`t to have an open border and are for every stray cat that comes to our doorstep. IMO the rule of law and order needs to be firmed up and the immigration policies made far more clear. The people fleeing those countries have a responsibility too. We in the US went through our revolution and many fought and died to make it happen. If they want to flee, that`s fine but don`t toss themselves on others to care for them and their families. That`s not right either and they need to enter any country, not just ours, according to the laws said country has.

Page 103 of 107 FirstFirst ... 3538990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107 LastLast

Thread Information