Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Florida Keys...

Post Thanks / Like

Florida Keys...

Been a lot of places, but never here. Thinking of flying into Miami, renting a car, driving to/through the Keys for a week or so.

Figure on spending the most time in Key West so:

1. Any good recommendations for a nice resort down there? I could spend a week just bummin` around but wife is a spa/luxury kinda girl so gotta be a nice place that caters to the `high maintenance` gal.

2. Figure we hit Miami and drive to Key West, spend a few days and maybe leave a day or two before flying home and stop for a night or 2 somewhere in the Keys that`s a bit closer to Miami. Any ideas for that bearing in pampered status explained in point #1?

Thanks for any suggestions...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Florida Keys...

remind me when i get home
    ill give ya name
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Key West is worth visiting, but may get old after about two or three days IMHO. It`s a town not unlike Las Vegas...where debauchery and depravity is status quo.
    Getting a nice place close to the action on Duval St: Pier House, the Hyatt or the Westin. Pier House is tops.

For staying outside of Key West, strongly suggest Cheeca Lodge on Islamorada. It`s sleepy, quiet, and beautiful.
    For a true 5 star resort/spa thing - strongly suggest the Ritz Carlton on Key Biscayne. It`s not on the strip of the Keys...but it`s extremely nice.

Post Thanks / Like

A day or two on south beach then down to Key West.

If you want to stay in a resort type place there are a few "timeshares" on the north side of the island.
    I`ve been able to "rent" them for much less than what the hotels go for near Duval or Mallory Square.
    There are trams/trains that go from the north side of KW to the south side for a couple of bucks a day.
    There`s lots of action on Duval after dark and Mallory square is pretty unbelievable right before sunset.

Post Thanks / Like

Florida Keys...

Key West is nice. A lot of stuff there to do. Can`t name of the place we stayed, buts it`s a BnB type of local - opposed to big fancy hotels IMHO. Everything is very casual. Drove there from PA & stopped in Miami for a few days. I remember going to one of the Keys to see a wildlife preserve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Key West is way more commercialized than in the past ....Duval Street is the area most visited because of the many bars and restaurants. On the other side of Key West is Ocean and a couple items to explore. Casa Marina (I believe its a Waldorf resort) is a beautiful older hotel with all the modern amenities. It wont be cheap but has a beautiful private beach. The brunch was amazing on the terrace overlooking the ocean. There are lots of day cruises, fishing charters, museums, and you can even rent mopeds to visit the many areas. Unfortunately the base in no longer open to the public and there are neighborhoods of plight. Just remember most are transient down there. It can get busy during Cruise Ship visits. Fantasy Fest is a WOW experience.
    Likes Paul@Autopia liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Killr, nice to see you here.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Paul@Autopia liked this post
    Thanks killrwheels thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etnops View Post
    Key West is worth visiting, but may get old after about two or three days IMHO. It`s a town not unlike Las Vegas...where debauchery and depravity is status quo.
    Somehow I was under the impression Key West was a laid back, quiet kinda hideaway deal, guess not. Done the party/lunacy thing to death years ago, no need to travel to find crowds and noise...I can get that locally.

For staying outside of Key West, strongly suggest Cheeca Lodge on Islamorada. It`s sleepy, quiet, and beautiful.
    Now there`s an idea, looks nice, peaceful and `kinda` centrally located in the area. Much to do just bumming up and down the Keys? Items of interest (which could be as simple as `lunch`) in various islands? Don`t need a whole lot of busy days, Key West sounds like a one day visit deal. Long day, perhaps, but still my temperament grows weary of crowds and chaos after extensive exposure.

Whole point is to escape the madness, put feet in ocean and just plain not give a crap about anything but immediate needs for a week.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hi!
    I lurk around at times, I think this is my first post here. I love the Keys! Our next trip is planned for end of March.

Cheeca Lodge is a nice place. We always stay in Islamorada, except for one night in KW. We`re too old for that scene, lol. Get a charter and catch some fish; many of the restaurants will cook your fish for you. Islamorada is "the sport fishing capital of the world".

We stay at Postcard Inn in Islamorada. It`s not high end by any stretch of the imagination, but it`s right on the beach and there`s a place to get drinks. We borrow their kayaks and have rented a boat from the marina next door. A sunset cruise is hokey, but relaxing after a busy day.

Big Pine Key has little key deer wandering around everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I def wanna visit the keys someday. Looks like a world all its own

Post Thanks / Like

I have been to the keys it`s nice but it wasn`t that warm when we went in February
    for that reason I would recommend to go farther south like st Lucia
    nothing like snorkeling under the pitons

Post Thanks / Like

St. Lucia was nice.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice you`ve gotten. So I`ll sit on side now. Unless you want a spotless/safe place to stay that`s not expensive at all. But It ain`t no four seasons. Just nice clean and safe. A little drive to KW, so you`re out of the hustle and bustle, but close enough for dinner, sightseeing etc.
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Somehow I was under the impression Key West was a laid back, quiet kinda hideaway deal, guess not. Done the party/lunacy thing to death years ago, no need to travel to find crowds and noise...I can get that locally.

Now there`s an idea, looks nice, peaceful and `kinda` centrally located in the area. Much to do just bumming up and down the Keys? Items of interest (which could be as simple as `lunch`) in various islands? Don`t need a whole lot of busy days, Key West sounds like a one day visit deal. Long day, perhaps, but still my temperament grows weary of crowds and chaos after extensive exposure.

Whole point is to escape the madness, put feet in ocean and just plain not give a crap about anything but immediate needs for a week.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
    As others have mentioned, chartering a boat is a nice way to spend the day. And a cheesy sunset cruise. A glass bottom boat ride the the small reefs are nice, too.
    There`s an aquarium on Marathon that`s OK. You could blow a few hours there. Otherwise, just chill and soak it all in.

Most food/restaurants on the Keys are lackluster at best...or at least, for the amount of money you spend, you`d expect the quality to be better.
    However, there are a few gems. The Key Plaza Creperie in Key West has excellent breakfast. The Islamorada Fish Company connected to the Bass Pro Shop on Islamorada has decent sandwiches, and nice views. Bliss in Key West is good. Don`t expect any Michelin star rated places in the Keys...the whole area is much more alcohol and pub grub focused.

If you can swing it - the Ritz Carlton on Key Biscayne is impossible to top with regards to service, surroundings and food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information