Page 1 of 20 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 288
  1. #1
    House of Wax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Roscoe, IL
    Posts
    3,212
    Post Thanks / Like

    2017 Health and Fitness Thread

    So, resolutions and all that......

    Thought it could be helpful to have a thread to discuss fitness and diet plans/goals/progress for the year. Curious to see what everyone is doing

    The wife and I are pretty much starting from scratch. I need to drop about 25 and just don`t want to feel like garbage anymore. Think we`re going to start out with the Stronglifts 5x5 program. It`s just 3 days/week and seems like a pretty good program to get back in the game and build some strength. May look to incorporate some yoga/pilates a couple days/week as well. The benefits of the added stretching and flexibility would help immensely.

    And then there`s the diet......need to clean that up big time.

    So has anybody tried the stronglifts? Any good diet plans ya`ll have had good luck with?

  2. #2
    jrock645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

    I did stronglifts years ago. Good plan, but most say Starting strength is better- similar just a bit less volume. Either is great if you have access to free weights, racks, etc and want to learn to squat. I don`t quite have gym membership time and my back won`t allow for squats and deadlifts but I miss that stuff.

    As for diets, it goes against everything you`ve ever been taught but drop he carbs. Check out the Dash Diet to get started. Basically, fill up on veggies at every meal and get a few ounces of lean meat plus a fat source like cheese, nuts, or oils(like MCT or olive oil), or opt for a fatty meat like salmon or certain cuts of beef. Give it a bit of time, let your body adjust to it and you`ll drop weight like you couldn`t believe, you`ll feel better, have energy like you never dreamed and your cholesterol and triglycerides will plummet.

  3. #3
    jrock645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

    My own goals are to get dialed back in on the low carb lifestyle. Easy to get off track but when I`m "on" I quickly question why I ever allow myself to deviate in the first place.

    As for exercise, I do a USMC calisthenics routine most mornings before work. Takes about 20 minutes, builds functional strength and conditioning, and can be done at home with minimal equipment. Good full body workout. If it`s good enough to get these warriors in shape for battle, that`s good enough for me. I also ride the stationary most nights after work.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Pa.
    Posts
    374
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

    jrock645, sounds interesting, i should look into the dash diet. I could use more energy

  5. #5
    zmcgovern45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    550
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

    Carbs aren`t necessarily the enemy... I aim for about 300g of carbs per day and I am at 10% BF, so clearly carbs don`t just make you fat.

    Understanding the different types of carbs (glycemic index - slow digesting (complex) vs. fast digesting (simple) carbs) and when to eat them can make a big difference.

    As for dieting, the concept should be simple... the first step is understanding how many calories your body actually needs. Use an online tool to calculate your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) to help give you a ballpark for your maintenance caloric intake. If you want to gain weight, you need to eat in surplus of your maintenance level. If you want to lose weight, you need to eat in a deficit relative to your maintenance level. That is the basics of dieting... you can eat 5,000 calories of lettuce and still gain weight.

    Since the birth of my son I have sort of fallen out of my fitness habits, but I followed a "flexible dieting" mentality where no foods were off limits. I simply set my caloric goals and broke my calorie intake into macro nutrient goals (proteins, fats, and carbs). As long as I stayed within my macro goals and continued to train, I could technically eat whatever I wanted to. I`m no physical fitness model lol, but I always felt like I was in good shape.



    Bottom line is this... do some research and find a fitness program and nutrition program that seems doable for you. If it sounds crazy, and seems like something you would never want to do, then the odds of you sticking to it are pretty low. Whether you`re trying to gain mass or lose body fat, you have to find a program that you won`t get burned out on in 6 weeks. Fitness can be an incredible amount of fun! I need to get back into it myself

    Click the image above to view my website
    Likes Nautical liked this post

  6. #6
    jrock645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Carbs aren`t necessarily the enemy... I aim for about 300g of carbs per day and I am at 10% BF, so clearly carbs don`t just make you fat.

    Understanding the different types of carbs (glycemic index - slow digesting (complex) vs. fast digesting (simple) carbs) and when to eat them can make a big difference.

    As for dieting, the concept should be simple... the first step is understanding how many calories your body actually needs. Use an online tool to calculate your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) to help give you a ballpark for your maintenance caloric intake. If you want to gain weight, you need to eat in surplus of your maintenance level. If you want to lose weight, you need to eat in a deficit relative to your maintenance level. That is the basics of dieting... you can eat 5,000 calories of lettuce and still gain weight.

    Since the birth of my son I have sort of fallen out of my fitness habits, but I followed a "flexible dieting" mentality where no foods were off limits. I simply set my caloric goals and broke my calorie intake into macro nutrient goals (proteins, fats, and carbs). As long as I stayed within my macro goals and continued to train, I could technically eat whatever I wanted to. I`m no physical fitness model lol, but I always felt like I was in good shape.



    Bottom line is this... do some research and find a fitness program and nutrition program that seems doable for you. If it sounds crazy, and seems like something you would never want to do, then the odds of you sticking to it are pretty low. Whether you`re trying to gain mass or lose body fat, you have to find a program that you won`t get burned out on in 6 weeks. Fitness can be an incredible amount of fun! I need to get back into it myself
    Insulin sensitivity has a lot to do with it. Some people, like yourself, react a lot better to them. Others, like me, they go straight to the love handles. Activity level has a lot to do with it, too. 300g`s a day, I`m guessing you spend a lot of time in the gym. It`s not an apples to apples benchmark for everyone.

    Obviously, the biggest goal toward weight loss is caloric restriction, right? Well, the bottom line is there is nothing in a carbohydrate your body actually needs. There`s essential fatty acids and essentials inos but there`s no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. With that established, every weight loss diet starts with limiting carbs, just depends how far you want to take it.

  7. #7
    House of Wax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Roscoe, IL
    Posts
    3,212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread



    Woof. Want to get down to the 185-190 range and maintain there.

    After doing some more research I think I`m going to go with the Starting Strength program.

    Looking forward to the lifting, not so much the diet portion lol

  8. #8
    Wax Waster Ronkh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SwFL
    Posts
    25,447
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

    I did a sit up today
    (I got out of bed)
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!
    Likes tropicsteve, JustJesus liked this post
    Thanks Bindytou thanked for this post

  9. #9
    Nautical's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

    Zach pretty much said said what I was going to. A couple things I will say are, a diet that works for one person may not work for another. It takes some time to figure out how your body reacts to different foods so don`t get discouraged, it`s not something that can be rushed. Also, if your following a strength program, make sure you`re supplementing your body properly to take advantage of the routine. And one other routine I`d recommend is AllPro`s Beginner Routine A Simple Beginner`s Routine - Bodybuilding.com Forums



    Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post

    Obviously, the biggest goal toward weight loss is caloric restriction, right? Well, the bottom line is there is nothing in a carbohydrate your body actually needs. There`s essential fatty acids and essentials inos but there`s no such thing as an essential carbohydrate. With that established, every weight loss diet starts with limiting carbs, just depends how far you want to take it.
    Not necessarily, carbs aren`t as bad as people make it out to be. Now, some people can`t lose weight without doing low carb, but I can eat 200g+ of carbs a day and not gain any weight, even without working out. Also, carbs may be necessary for someone to help keep up energy through a workout. I tried doing low carb and eating other foods to try and fill that void, but I couldn`t get through a session without falling flat and not hitting my goals while lifting. Again, everyones body will react differently.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    79,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

    Ah, glad to see this come up again!

    Regulars here know that I`m pretty serious about being in-shape. Age 56 (for a little while longer), serious about exercise for decades. I haven`t been unable to clearly see my abs since, well...forever, my bodyfat never gets close to being double-digits.

    My basic viewpoint- If you`re not staying in the exact shape you want all the time, something is wrong. Whatever exercise/diet regimen you follow, it either works long-term or it`s no good.

    I don`t try to burn calories by exercising, but rather I exercise in a way that makes my body burn calories 24/7.

    I`ve actually made additional good progress in the last year while doing *less* exercise. I`m doing less-frequent and briefer workouts and actually *gaining muscle and losing fat* that way. Kinda surprised me (especially at age 56) as I`ve been doing this stuff for decades and would`ve considered additional progress unlikely.

    I made my cardio *much* briefer and less frequent, but considerably more difficult and that`s worked *great*. The trick for most people is probably sustaining the motivation to do it hard enough, but I`m just like that and can accept that "it`s not supposed to be fun; I don`t have to like it, I just have to do it".

    Last time I kept track, I averaged ~25 minutes/day doing cardio/resistance training. I can go hard, or I can go long, but I can`t do both and hard is more productive.

    Different diets seem to work/not for different people and as jrock645 and zmcgovern45 said, insulin sensitivity and the glycemic index seem to be a big part of that and can sure vary between people (my wife and I are very different in this regard). I`m still eating thousands of calories worth of food daily, including plenty of carbs and good fat, having found this simply necessary to fuel the machine. It often seems like I`m eating all the time, but that`s what works for me and I don`t eat much [crap], but I don`t deny myself something I feel like having either.

    I know people *my age* who can no longer do stuff that they used to...No Thanks! I`ve known plenty of elderly people who stayed fit and active right to the end of their days and I plan to do likewise.
    Likes House of Wax, 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

  11. #11
    jrock645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

    Accumulator- what type of routine are you doing, that you`re able to fit it all in 25 minutes? I used to do that HIT stuff, highly controversial, with good results but it`s easy to burn out on it.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    LI
    Posts
    3,858
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

    Joined the gym. Now I just need to go. And I need to go. Got my 25 lbs of winter survival gear on st the moment.
    Likes House of Wax, jrock645 liked this post

  13. #13
    RaydiantDetail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    397
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

    Ugh 2016 was a bad year for me health wise. I was in great shape prior but then my daughter was born and I did not have a lot of time to train and we were eating unhealthy and out a lot I ended up gaining 30lbs last year. About a month ago I started back up with home cooked meals and recently I am back to training 3-4 times a week.

    I have been focusing on the Ketogenic diet which is similar to Atkins. High healthy Fats, moderate protein and low carbs. My macros look like 70% Fats - 25% Protein - 5% Carbs. I am down about 10lbs so far and have about 20lbs more to go to get back to my healthy walking weight. Need to get back down to 170lbs to compete at Middle weight.
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

  14. #14
    ShaneB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northville, MI
    Posts
    1,261
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

    208lbs. 2nd highest weight I`ve been. (212 back in or around 2011). Dropped 30 lbs here, gained, dropped, gained. I go in streaks. Starting P90X today. Aiming to be back down to 180 by april. Done it plenty of times before.

  15. #15
    jrock645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,522
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    208lbs. 2nd highest weight I`ve been. (212 back in or around 2011). Dropped 30 lbs here, gained, dropped, gained. I go in streaks. Starting P90X today. Aiming to be back down to 180 by april. Done it plenty of times before.
    P90x is a good program for those of us that want to workout at home with minimal equipment. I was doing well with it about two years ago, but I think it was a bit too hard in my back and triggered my major episode.

    Good luck!
    Likes ShaneB liked this post

 

 
Page 1 of 20 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. American Council on Exercise (ACE) Fitness Resources
    By togwt in forum Autopia Detailing Wiki
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-11-2013, 02:37 PM
  2. Godfather of fitness has passed on.
    By Big Leegr in forum Hot Tub
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-30-2011, 07:09 PM
  3. DTM/ health-fitness etc.
    By pgp in forum Hot Tub
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 09:11 AM
  4. Detailing & Physical Fitness...
    By imported_Luster in forum Car Detailing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 11:55 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •