Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

Oh, and I did take pictures before I started.....yikes. Even though I`m only down 10 pounds so far, I can definitely tell a difference in how I look. Can`t wait to get down to my target weight and compare the difference

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t worry about weight period. I track body fat. I can look like crap to myself at a certain weight and pretty good 10 Lbs heavier with less actual BF. Muscle weighs more than fat
    Semper Fidelis!
    Matt

`20 Rapid Blue C8 2LT Z51, deposit 7/20/19, born 11/17/20 and delivered 11/28/20. Yeah, the dates are right, 16 months.......
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

what are you using to track your body fat %

Post Thanks / Like

Caliper and measuring tape.
    Semper Fidelis!
    Matt

`20 Rapid Blue C8 2LT Z51, deposit 7/20/19, born 11/17/20 and delivered 11/28/20. Yeah, the dates are right, 16 months.......

Post Thanks / Like

2017 Health and Fitness Thread

Basic method with nylon measuring tape. Mid section at naval minus neck gives you circumference value. Look up circumference value for your height (edited had age originally) on chart available online and that will tell you BF%. Very rough estimate though.

Calipers are better.

Best is water displacement test.

Example of what I mentioned above IRT Weight vs BF. In Sept of 16 my wt was 240 and BF was 19. Right now I weigh 252 and BF is 11%. I look way better now than I did then. More important to me, I am stronger.
    Last edited by SgtMajUSMC; 04-08-2017 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Change age for height
    Semper Fidelis!
    Matt

Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- Yeah, I remember your bloodtest wakeup call, sounds like you`re On It these days. Given your (heh heh, young to me ) age, IMO it`s really good that you didn`t wait longer, like until something really nailed you. Mid-30s is too young to have any issues but that`s right were a lot of people start letting themselves go.

On the running, at least you *admit* you just like doing it Sure nothing wrong with doing physical stuff you enjoy as long as you don`t *overdo* it. Guess I worry about the running because I know plenty of people who became overweight *former* runners who say how they "...used to run X miles a week" but had to quit because of time constraints/injuries/etc. Well, that an the Sour Grapes thing since I can`t run worth a [darn] and quickly develop issues.

SgtMajUSMC- You`re still going heavy for 44! Yeah, that Active Recovery is probably helping you out a lot.

Ah, so you don`t do (barbell) benches either. I agree 100% about the `bells being better anyhow, though I gotta do mine on a bench to get the right stretch, and at an incline too, which is another one of those "shouldn`t work that way according to theory, but..." things that I can`t explain.

I finally had to add some work specifically targeting the lowermost part of my abs but at least it only takes a few minutes.

And we`re also on the exact same page regarding the bodyweight vs. bodyfat. Only time I step on a scale is at the Dr. office. That`s quite a drop you`ve pulled off considering your strength gains. You happy at 11 or do you have something else in sight?

I never liked the "age-related correction" for the BF%...not like I was *really* at a different % 24hrs after my bday.

My wife has one of those fancy scales that claims to measure bodyfat %, but IMO it`s hopelessly inaccurate. Eh, it`s apparently consistent enough that she finds it useful, but no thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m good at 11. I would have to change too much to go lower. More cardio, lighter weight/more reps and pay way more attention to diet than I am willing to do in order to go lower. I`m in a good spot right now for me.

To clarify the DB floor press. I do that on my second push day in the week (3 on,1 off split) and get better concentration solely on chest with it and use 20% of first push workout weight. First push day is DB bench and heavy, 125lb DBs currently, so the floor press is with 100lbs. Agree with you on incline DB. Decline anything is worthless.

With you on the age BF thing. Tape measure sucks for accuracy regardless. At best you are getting ballpark within 5%. A scale is laughable for BF.
    Semper Fidelis!
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

What is your guys favorite easy source of good protein and healthy fats?

I really have a hard time getting enough.

Unfortunately, I don`t like a lot of the traditional things like beef jerky, hard boiled eggs, nuts.

I try to suck down a protein shake, eat lots of peanut butter, usually steak, chicken or pork for dinner.
    Really need a good protein snack.

Post Thanks / Like

For starters, personally I currently take in 250 grams a day. Favorite and like aren`t conducive with that considering calories in what I like. More about the nutrition value and bang for the buck.

I hate tuna but I eat two of the envelopes a day. So the tuna packs in water. I know it`s processed but they are quick. I throw some Texas Pete in it and tolerate it. 20g per pack.

I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard protein powder. 24g per scoop and 130 calories. Get creative with adding it to food for added protein. Recipes on their site. Pre workout and post workout shake in water.

1 cup of kashi cereal has 12g of soy protein. Instead of milk one scoop protein powder mixed in water in the cereal. 36g right there. Do the same with oatmeal but less protein in oatmeal.

Cottage cheese. I hate it. Top salads or vegetables.

Premake meals...chicken breast for two days as example.

Salmon.

Quest protein bars in a pinch. Generally excepted as best from nutrition standpoint. Less sugar than most others too. 20g

Casein protein before bed.

Peanut Butter is ok in moderation but bang for buck for protein isn`t there and only the high end stuff is any good. If it isn`t around $10 a jar it is loaded with crap.

Look for yogurt with 2x or more protein. Some have 20g in the small single serve. They aren`t all the same. Look at sugar content.
    Semper Fidelis!
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

So I got some protein powder, it mixes with water but I use it in vanilla icecream and milk. Seems good because I`ve been detailing all day almost every day with sore arms and legs. Any pointers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "I can shine your car if you don`t shine me on" -Mr. $lick
    Likes SgtMajUSMC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Also I use the vitamix and blend spinach, plain yogurt, vanilla ice cream

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Slick View Post
    So I got some protein powder, it mixes with water but I use it in vanilla icecream and milk. Seems good because I`ve been detailing all day almost every day with sore arms and legs. Any pointers?

Branch chain amino acid. 10g a day for your sore arms and legs....pills or powder. You could get plain powder and sprinkle on your ice cream.

There are concrete givens with nutrition but a lot of it is what works for you combined with goals.

Nothing wrong with powder with milk or ice cream I guess.

Chocolate milk is good for recovering. Mix with choc milk. Don`t imagine it is very tasty with vanilla.

Serious with the Spinach mix?
    Semper Fidelis!
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SgtMajUSMC View Post
    Branch chain amino acid. 10g a day for your sore arms and legs....pills or powder. You could get plain powder and sprinkle on your ice cream.

There are concrete givens with nutrition but a lot of it is what works for you combined with goals.

Nothing wrong with powder with milk or ice cream I guess.

Chocolate milk is good for recovering. Mix with choc milk. Don`t imagine it is very tasty with vanilla.

Serious with the Spinach mix?
    Yeah. It doesn`t have the powder in it too lol. It tastes pretty good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

SgtMajUSMC- Heh heh, I`m envious that you can do Push Days twice/week, I`m spacing mine around 12 days like most everything else. Sounds nutty what with only 3-5 total work sets for chest, huh?!? Sure would`ve bet against that, used to do >3x that weekly.

Part of my curiosity about your being satisfied with 11% (yeah, reasonable IMO) is that the first time I had mine tested that`s exactly what it was, bit of a reality check as I thought I was leaner. (guy used calipers; on my wife he was within 1% of her Immersion % so I figured he was OK). Haven`t had it tested in ages, but if I can see defined lower abs with vascularity over `em I`m happy and that always correlated to being around 7-8%.

Heh heh, I have to laugh when some [individual] in a magazine supposedly has 5%.

Supplements: after stimulating the economy on them for years I`ve cut back to only Creatine (from Optimum Nutrition ~5g/day), PolyphenolRX (from Zone Labs 1 capsule/day), Fish Oil (RxOmega-3 from Natural Factors ~15 capsules/day), vitamin D3, and Niacin (which tweaks me HDL numbers to near-outlier levels).

Ages ago I figured out the protein/carb/fat amounts based on ~1.5-2 grams protein/lb. lean weight etc. etc. and really put some thought into it, but these days I just eat (mostly small) meals whenever I`m hungry, always aiming for around 25g protein every time though I have more with most dinners. Which means I eat a lot, but that`s OK since I can set my own schedule.

Mr. Slick- Yeah, I always mix mine with whole milk, never water (yuck!). Gee, I hardly ever have Protein Shakes/Meal Replacement Powders these days...still have lots of `em sitting around though. Tasty and quick but I simply do better with whole food.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve gone round and round mentally debating whether or not to go down the rabbit hole of supplements. So much snake oil out there and unfounded claims on a multitude of products.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread Information