Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

House of Wax- That all sounds great! I especially like the way you`re able to stay motivated and that your wife`s exercising too.

And yeah, the "usual portions" can be way excessive. I found that after a while the smaller ones simply became the New Normal and filled me up just fine. Eating *slowly* helped with that.

What about munching on something like blueberries or nuts while winding down?
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My wife has told me for years I need to eat slower lol.

After kind of getting an idea of what proper portion sizes look like, it`s really pretty gross to see how massive the portions are at restaurants these days.

the late night snacking is everything to do with munching on something I "want". If it`s "healthy food" the desire part of it is usually removed, so it`s kinda like meh, whatever. Which is a good thing I suppose

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- I sorta found myself reprogrammed after not eating much [crap] on a regular basis. When I have it now it`s so unusual that I`m not tempted to keep it up for days on end. I think a big part of it was finding healthier stuff that I actually like.

Speaking of "reprogrammed", I had to make such a conscious effort to slow it down! Chew chew chew, sigh...really felt like I was just dragging it out, sorta surprising how much self-discipline it took at first. After a while I found I was somehow enjoying the meals more that way...did take a while for that to dawn on me though.

But I guess my Big Solution was to just not sit in front of the TV with that vacant "just vegging...munching on stuff..." mindset. Now I either *engage* in whatever`s on the tube or I don`t sit in front of it. We eat our last meal awfully late, so it`s not like I oughta actually be *hungry* or anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Hit a nice little milestone tonight:

Officially out of plates for squats @ 300 lbs.

Good way to end the week and going to be moving on from this workout. The Starting Strength program served its purpose for exactly what I wanted. Built a nice base after not lifting for several years. Starting next week I`m going to shift to more of a focus on "cutting" and losing the weight I want to. I`m not eating the amount of calories that I need to fuel going up in weights continually as this program calls for. Plan on next week moving to a 4 day lifting schedule (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri) and start getting a quick 20 minute HIIT routine (running/biking) going in the morning 4 or 5 days/week.

Post Thanks / Like

2017 Health and Fitness Thread

Good job.

I`ve used 5X5 in the past when I wanted to decrease volume and have more time for cardio.

Last seven months deployed have been doing a push, pull, legs split. 3 on 1 off and 20 minutes of HITT at the end of every other workout for cardio/fat loss. Diet is huge.

I will use this push, pull split for ever. More about lightervolume than going heavy which took me a long time to figure out works better for me. Crazy thing is that volume has increased the weight I can throw around with no injury more than traditional power workouts.

I am working out with 405 deadlift for reps now when that used to be my 1RM not too long ago.

Rack pull went from max of 405 to reps with 500.

Once a week I do carrries with a trap bar. Walk 50 feet with the trap bar loaded. I am up to 10x with 450.

Semper Fidelis!
    Matt

`20 Rapid Blue C8 2LT Z51, deposit 7/20/19, born 11/17/20 and delivered 11/28/20. Yeah, the dates are right, 16 months.......

Post Thanks / Like

beastmode

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

That belt is an Inzer Forever Belt. Not cheap but well worth the extra$.
    Semper Fidelis!
    Matt

`20 Rapid Blue C8 2LT Z51, deposit 7/20/19, born 11/17/20 and delivered 11/28/20. Yeah, the dates are right, 16 months.......

Post Thanks / Like

House of Waqx- Glad you`re meeting your goals!

Do you think the proscribed diet plan fits *your needs* as well as it should? I ask because IME the right intake for gains might be *close* to more than you need, but doesn`t result in any bodyfat gains.

What are the plans for your HIIT? Can you recover from it quickly enough to do it that often?!? All my biomarkers improved when I quit doing it so often, must`ve needed more recovery even though it seems like I do so little.

SgtMajUSMC- Yikes, that`s some poundage!

Nice to see somebody using a Trap Bar. That one has some mileage on it
    Likes SgtMajUSMC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Great app for tracking diet is Map My Fitness. Tracks everything. You can adjust protein, fat , carb percentage and adjust daily goal for each along with calories, sodium, etc. you can add meals, food items and scan bar codes and auto add to include serving size.

Eat a 6 inch turkey sub on wheat from Subway. Search for it and it will be on the data base with the exact condiments you chose. Steak from Texas Roadhouse, its in there.

Has history data, graphs, daily total and weekly totals for anything you need.

I am not currently using it but when I am in cutting phase and counting macros to the exact number it is priceless.

Right now I am eating like a horse but clean. Difficult to get enough protein in a day. Weight 245 but see abs for the first time in a couple years.
    Semper Fidelis!
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    House of Waqx- Glad you`re meeting your goals!

Do you think the proscribed diet plan fits *your needs* as well as it should? I ask because IME the right intake for gains might be *close* to more than you need, but doesn`t result in any bodyfat gains.

What are the plans for your HIIT? Can you recover from it quickly enough to do it that often?!? All my biomarkers improved when I quit doing it so often, must`ve needed more recovery even though it seems like I do so little.

SgtMajUSMC- Yikes, that`s some poundage!

Nice to see somebody using a Trap Bar. That one has some mileage on it
    The whole goal/theory behind the Starting Strength program is to increase weight every day you lift. This requires taking 48-72 hours off to recover between lifting days while also eating at a "surplus" of calories (good calories) to help your muscles recover/build. It for sure works, but my weight loss has stagnated and I`m getting to the point it`s going to be awful hard to keep going up in weights without focusing on eating enough to fuel it.

Right now I`m hovering around 204 and I`d like to settle in around 185-190 (I`m just under 6`). Based off of past experience, nothing has ever been more effective *for me* at losing weight than when I run on a regular basis.

#1 I actually enjoy cardio work and miss it, so I want to get back to doing something.

#2 I feel like to facilitate my weight loss goals I need to be getting a little more than 3 days worth of some form of exercise in per week

Right now the plan is to do some interval sprints for HIIT. Gonna shoot for 4-5 days per week in the morning before work. Sessions are only going to be 30 minutes long including warm up and cool down, so really only about 20 minutes of actual work.....no marathon sessions.

Lifting will change from 3 days/week after work to 4. Still going to do some of the core compound lifts (squats, deadlifts/bench), but would also like to also add some accessories lifts to target bi`s/tri`s/chest, etc....I think adding the 4th day will allow me to incorporate a good variety of lifts without it becoming marathon lifting sessions or overworking any muscle group on any particular day.

Beginning goal was to get the weight loss going and really build some sort of foundation. Now my goal is shifting to losing the fat around my midsection while trying to at least maintain the progress strength wise that I`ve made since January. Really it`s all fluid and will adjust as I go

www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes SgtMajUSMC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not be get too nosy, but this thread gets me wondering about everyone`s age and overall goals.

I`m 57 and basically all about just staying healthy and being able to do stuff. Simply can`t afford any downtime due to injuries like "can`t do that today because my [whatever] hurts". And yeah, sure...I want to look good (heh heh, I set that bar awfully high ) and I`m not gonna replace my wardrobe so my size has to basically stay the same as it`s been since forever.

Biggest age-related factor is the need for adequate recovery and the apparently *greatly* decreased need for volume/frequency. Haven`t noticed any metabolic slowdown (heh heh, people`ve been predicting that I would for decades but nope) or drop in performance, still feel ageless as in I can`t even put a number on it.

SgtMajUSMC- Sounds like you found your perfect diet approach both with/without that app.

Yeah, getting sufficient protein while eating clean can be a challenge, especially for people living, uhm...normal lives. Gotta admit that retirement makes that a lot easier for me as I can better call the shots.

Good on you for seeing those abs! I bet it`ll be a lot easier to keep `em visible now.

I had to tweak my ab work a bit as I got older; even when good and lean I have to keep my lowermost abs really well-trained (and my hip flexors *not* too pronounced) or I can get a bulge down there that I don`t like the looks of.

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- I enjoy following your progress and reading how you`re going about it. You guys using apps/programs/etc. make me feel like a caveman by comparison

The "different people are different even though we`re all basically the same" keeps coming to mind! Here *I* leaned out when I started exercising *less*. May well be that age-factor again, man I sure would`ve bet that it wouldn`t work out that way.

Heh heh, I continue to envy your enjoyment of the cardio! Mine remains torturous but at least it`s over in a few minutes. Eh, I still don`t count all the walking/hiking as "cardio" but it`s probably contributing something.

Yeah, the goal of adding *something* to every workout is the right way to approach it. More weight, additional reps, slower reps or feeling the muscles better...there`s always *something* to improve.

Losing midsection fat while not compromising gains sure is challenging, huh?

Glad to hear you`re not going for marathon cardio sessions, seems like every study shows that to be downright unhealthy in the long run. When the researchers guess that a subject "must`ve been hit by a bus or something" that doesn`t strike me as a healthy lifestyle.

Post Thanks / Like

35 here. Pretty similar goals as yours. I had some blood work done last year for a physical and had a few results come back a little surprising, and not in a good way. Doc of course immediately wanted to start talking about meds. Told her we`re gonna hold off, I`m gonna get back in shape/clean up my diet, and then we`ll revisit it after another blood test.

Just as big of a motivator was to chase the aches and pains away. I have a fairly physical job and far too often I was waking up in the morning with too many aches. Since getting serious about this, my back and knees have felt better than they have in quite some time. I`ve got 2 little kids to keep up with as well. I don`t ever wanna be that dad that is a lazy slug because I`m fat and outta shape. Also I feel like it sets a good example for them and keeps them active/healthy.

And finally......we spend a lot of time on the water/beaches during the summer. I just really got sick of not feeling comfortable when I didn`t have a shirt on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    House of Wax- I enjoy following your progress and reading how you`re going about it. You guys using apps/programs/etc. make me feel like a caveman by comparison

The "different people are different even though we`re all basically the same" keeps coming to mind! Here *I* leaned out when I started exercising *less*. May well be that age-factor again, man I sure would`ve bet that it wouldn`t work out that way.

Heh heh, I continue to envy your enjoyment of the cardio! Mine remains torturous but at least it`s over in a few minutes. Eh, I still don`t count all the walking/hiking as "cardio" but it`s probably contributing something.

Yeah, the goal of adding *something* to every workout is the right way to approach it. More weight, additional reps, slower reps or feeling the muscles better...there`s always *something* to improve.

Losing midsection fat while not compromising gains sure is challenging, huh?

Glad to hear you`re not going for marathon cardio sessions, seems like every study shows that to be downright unhealthy in the long run. When the researchers guess that a subject "must`ve been hit by a bus or something" that doesn`t strike me as a healthy lifestyle.
    It`ll take some willpower not to dip into the long distance running. For me it is a fantastic stress reliever and my weight melts off when I do it.

Post Thanks / Like

2017 Health and Fitness Thread

44 Y/O.

No ab work period. Carries for core is all. Abs is all diet for me. Strong core is the rest for me. Perhaps the single biggest find for me was the trap bar carries.

I do a lot of active recovery. Foam rolling and deep tissue massage.

Trust me 25 years of heavy lifting and that was fraught with injuries and overtraining.

I finally figured it out. One thing I don`t do is bar bench. Messes up my shoulders. Strictly dumbbells for chest. Huge benefit using DBs and doing presses lying flat on the floor. Nothing but chest.
    Semper Fidelis!
    Matt

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread Information