Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

I actually went with Starting Strength instead of stronglifts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Accumulator-

Thats very Arthur Jones type approach to your workout. Makes a lot of sense. If it works, it works.
    IMO it`s more Mentzer than Jones, but yeah ol` Arthur first got my thoughts headed in that direction.

Just as I`m all about preserving clearcoat thickness and maintaining my vehicles (very) long-term, my diet/exercise stuff is all about the long haul.

All that "once you get older..." [crap] that people used to say to me just never happened. Gee, guess why

Post Thanks / Like

Some sorta-random thoughts follow:

-recent technological advances have made it possible to glean info previously unavailable and have disproven a lot of Conventional Wisdom
    -IMO there`s more useful info in (real, peer-reviewed) Medical Journals than there is in the Bodybuilding Media
    -Metabolic slowdown is not inevitable with age (and now we think we know why it happens, but people still believe...)
    -The Age-Adjusted Maximum Heartrate idea was merely a hypothesis and doesn`t apply across the board
    -Same with the "drink X amount of water/fluids daily" (though I do *really* hydrate)
    -IMO bodyfat oughta be lost at the same rate it was put, *or slower*, on but many people are too impatient for that
    -any injury related to exercise or other physical activity indicates something`s *really* wrong
    -adding a few extra daily calories *from FATS* (mixed nuts, whole milk instead of skim) resulted in my losing bodyfat
    -I`m a True Believer when it comes to (*therapeutic doses* of) Fish Oil, based on personal experience (wouldn`t spend the $ otherwise)
    -Same with Creatine, but I don`t need *nearly* as much as is usually recommended
    -I`m *not* a believer in the need to consume huge amounts of protein; I only need about 1g/lb lean weight daily but I *do* need that much
    -Anybody interested in this stuff oughta have their Body Composition tested, at least enough times that they have a knowledge base
    -The BMI scale is BS
    -Maintaining and reviewing a Training Log is of vital necessity
    -What works for one person might not work for another, but baseline = people are mammals and some rules do apply
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Finished up second workout of the week tonight. This is good.....I`m already looking forward to working out and not dreading it. Plus side is if I can keep myself motivated to stick with working out, it automatically makes me want to eat better. Junky food just doesn`t even sound good.

It was hard not to do anything last night, but everything I`ve read about this Starting Strength program (and others like it) is they`re not joking when they say you need the day off in between workouts. Did a short yoga video I found on youtube last night. I loathe yoga, but I think it`ll pay off in the long run. Not lifting anything heavy yet (not really supposed to as the weight goes up every session), but have a good general soreness all over.

I can`t freaking wait to see/feel legit changes. I can`t even fathom what 185 feels like at this point. Makes me disgusted thinking about what 25 lbs. feels and the fact that i`m carry that in fat around every day

Plus I had some good helpers tonight:

www.facebook.com/houseofwaxdetailing
    Likes DOdetailing, zmcgovern45, Nautical liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just keep moving forward House of Wax! Do not get discouraged or bogged down! 10 push ups before bed and first thing in the morning will go a long way for mental health. Just priming your body for your workout is a big key to my success.
    You are going to have bad days, but don`t let those keep you down... if I am lifting and don`t feel it or am injured and can`t lift hard (broken spine) then I cardio on a bike for an hour and get my head in the game for the next day!
    Likes House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`m already lighting up ketone test strips. Seems way too early for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    It ..they`re not joking when they say you need the day off in between workouts. ...[I]..have a good general soreness all over.

Taking time off to recover is just as important as doing the workout in the first place. The whole process takes a *LONG* time between stimulus and adaptation and if you rework the muscles before they adapt you don`t accomplish much adaptation-wise. Took me forever to learn/accept that

I can`t freaking wait to see/feel legit changes. I can`t even fathom what 185 feels like at this point. Makes me disgusted thinking about what 25 lbs. feels and the fact that i`m carry that in fat around every day..
    Yeah, even little improvements can make a big diff. I always think along the lines of "just lose one pound a month and keep it off" and folks say "that`s nothing!" But if you hold twelve pounds of hamburger in your hand it`s quite significant.

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645
    I`m already lighting up ketone test strips. Seems way too early for that.
    I know plenty of people who`ve done the ketogenic thing (and only one has ever kept her weight in check that way), but !oh man! I just can`t see that being the right way for ```` sapiens to eat. Eh, maybe it`s just because of the way *I* need carbs for proper functioning and have zero problems with them resulting in bodyfat, but still... Please be careful.

[EDIT: what, I can`t enter H...O...M...O...?!? How do anthropologists post anything about people? Sheesh..my G...A...Y friends would be the first to roll their eyes about such nonsense.]

Post Thanks / Like

If anybody has read this book I`d like to know what you think of it as I generally subscribe to the that idea, and HEY it has Arthur Jones on the cover

LINK: If You Like Exercise ... Chances Are You`re Doing It Wrong: Proper Strength Training for Maximum Results by Gary Bannister, Paperback | Barnes & Noble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    If anybody has read this book I`d like to know what you think of it as I generally subscribe to the that idea, and HEY it has Arthur Jones on the cover

LINK: If You Like Exercise ... Chances Are You`re Doing It Wrong: Proper Strength Training for Maximum Results by Gary Bannister, Paperback | Barnes & Noble
    I have to laugh reading that book title thinking about back in the day when I had a gym membership. It use to kill me seeing people screwing around on their phones, or talking to their friend, or reading a book/magazine while they`re "working out". I couldn`t help but wonder how in the heck they could be getting any useful work done while being able to still do those other things

Post Thanks / Like

House of Wax- Heh heh, yeah....exactly. I can`t quite decide whether I like that book title or not, though I do find it amusing.

I mean..it kinda sounds like "hey wimp, you`re not hard-core enough" and I *hate* that kind of [crap]. BUT, I *do not* enjoy one moment of my exercise, it`s simply too hard (for somebody like me who`s sure not a masochist). Well, OK I can kinda enjoy my warmups, and cooldowns aren`t bad, but the stuff that accomplishes anything sure isn`t fun. Even just the concentration that`s required...sheesh.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m kinda back and forth on it. There`s days I would rather do literally anything than work out, and then there`s others it provides some good stress relief and kinda clears my head. Either way, there should be a fair amount of physical discomfort during/after lol

Post Thanks / Like

I know plenty of people who`ve done the ketogenic thing (and only one has ever kept her weight in check that way), but !oh man! I just can`t see that being the right way for ```` sapiens to eat. Eh, maybe it`s just because of the way *I* need carbs for proper functioning and have zero problems with them resulting in bodyfat, but still... Please be careful.

[EDIT: what, I can`t enter H...O...M...O...?!? How do anthropologists post anything about people? Sheesh..my G...A...Y friends would be the first to roll their eyes about such nonsense.]
    The only way you`re not gonna keep your weight in check is if you`re falling off the wagon and regularly going on full eff the world carb binges. It`s like any other diet in that regard.

Me, I`ve got maybe 10lbs of holiday weight to get rid of. Got sick right before thanksgiving and just got way off track through the holidays. The rest of the time, my weight doesn`t fluctuate beyond a couple pounds once I bottom out around 190- I`m at about 202 right now.

So, this isn`t a yearly 25lb purge by any means. Once I hit my target weight, I`ll loosen up slightly but more than anything my body and brain just work better in a complete absence of carbs. Just sucks when those cravings for pizza and beer wreck my rhythm.

Post Thanks / Like

id be interested in reading it. I had great results with HIT ala Jones and mike mentzer, would like to be able to accomplish the same idea with my calisthenics routine.

Post Thanks / Like

This year *I* put on a bit of Holiday Weight too! I always eat/drink whatever I want between Thanksgiving and New Year`s, but this year I had to remain sedentary while I recovered from (yet another) eye surgery and I`ve put on more bodyfat that I usually do. I never step on a scale except at my annual physical, but I can discern slightly diminished definition/vascularity around my abs and would guess that my bodyfat is up maybe 1%/<2#. Now that I`m cleared to resume normal activities I expect to be back to (my version of) normal by the end of the month at the latest, but I`ll probably cut my (simple) carbs just a tad to speed things along. That`s a quicker drop than I recommend for most people, but I`m returning to baseline rather than setting a new one.

House of Wax- If people would actually *WORK* out they`d quickly learn that it takes every iota of their consciousness. Even cardio- at some point just breathing is all ya can do.

I too would almost always do anything but work out and I understand that the whole Aversion thing can be a huge stumbling block for many people. To be honest, the data indicate that there`s little actual benefit to being "ultra-fit" compared to something less extreme. Even Dick Winett has apparently quit doing Tabata in favor of a less demanding routine, and he`s the guy who turned the Western World on to the Tabata Protocol in the first place.

jrock645- I`ll never get over how well changing my cardio to (genuine) HIIT worked for me, simply amazing and I`m done in no time. On occasions where I have to do something demanding for a long period of time it`s a piece of cake even despite my brief cardio sessions.

BTW, I disagree completely with the Jones/Mentzer idea that resistance training alone (done a certain way, i.e. circuit training) can subsitute for cardio. That approach doesn`t work for me on either score, not at all. In fact...

The first Big Change I made that really paid off was increasing my rest period between work sets to however long I feel necessary. I don`t rest for so long that I cool off, but I`ll go several minutes even when working small muscle groups and I virtually take a vacation between sets for my upper legs and back Time-wise it evens out since I`m not doing many sets any more. (Yesterday I did three each for Chest and Tris, one for middle Delts, and I`m extremely sore today. That`ll do for those muscle groups for at least a dozen days.)

Post Thanks / Like

Q: You folks like music/video ON or OFF when lifting? What about when doing cardio?

With the exception of Leg Days (when it somehow disrupts my focus), I blast some pretty corny tuneage when I lift, and I distract myself with (what are often equally cheesy) music videos when I do cardio.

I can`t watch/listen to anything that actually requires my attention though, that distraction-thing, and I`m working too hard to think properly about anything serious.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information