Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    Ugh 2016 was a bad year for me health wise. I was in great shape prior but then my daughter was born and I did not have a lot of time to train and we were eating unhealthy and out a lot I ended up gaining 30lbs last year. About a month ago I started back up with home cooked meals and recently I am back to training 3-4 times a week.

I have been focusing on the Ketogenic diet which is similar to Atkins. High healthy Fats, moderate protein and low carbs. My macros look like 70% Fats - 25% Protein - 5% Carbs. I am down about 10lbs so far and have about 20lbs more to go to get back to my healthy walking weight. Need to get back down to 170lbs to compete at Middle weight.

Honestly, having kids really does change everything. My wife and I had no problem staying in shape before we had kids. I have a hard time taking any time away from them, so I don`t like doing it while they`re awake, but by the time we get them to bed I`m zapped.

I`ve contemplated doing the keto thing before, but I`ve ready a lot of people have, uhh......odor issues. Any comments on that? How do you feel energy wise throughout the day?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Honestly, having kids really does change everything. My wife and I had no problem staying in shape before we had kids. I have a hard time taking any time away from them, so I don`t like doing it while they`re awake, but by the time we get them to bed I`m zapped.

I`ve contemplated doing the keto thing before, but I`ve ready a lot of people have, uhh......odor issues. Any comments on that? How do you feel energy wise throughout the day?
    So I probably smelled even prior to starting keto lol but no you will for a short while due to the ketones. So you get what is called keto breathe and keto odour and it almost has a fruit like smell.

Initially you will feel like pure crap and get what is called the keto flu. While your body is getting into ketosis and purging itself of glucose usually last 1 to 2 weeks. The first 4 days for me were rough.

Get yourself some keto sticks from the pharmacy to monitor if you are in ketosis.

Id also suggest slowly decreasing carb intake and increasing good fats instead of all at once to help alleviate the energy drain.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post

I dont typically get the keto breath, but it has happened. Doesn`t last long.

The first few days can be difficult, but the real energy issue people complain about is easily fixed with... salt. When your body starts flushing glycogen, it also dumps sodium from the liver, leading to energy loss. Eating salty things like cheese, stir fried meat and veggies, salted nuts and making sure to season salads will combat this and make any energy issues minimal.

The biggest part about getting started is dealing with the mind game. Your body notices something different, and you`ll convince yourself you feel really crummy and need carbs to survive. Keep eating approved stuff, get plenty of salt and water and push through for a few days and you`ll be fine. When people tell horror stories of being miserable on low carb, 99% of the time they went about it all wrong and just wimped out before they could adjust.

It takes a couple weeks(or so, depending) to fully switch into ketosis, though you`ll feel normal much before this point. But when your body launches into 100%, you will have energy and mental focus like you can`t even believe.

2 years ago, I had just started working out again and was far from being in great shape. On my day off, I did 2 p90x workouts(plyo and chest/back), hiked 7 miles and rode my bike for an hour. I had energy to burn and I couldn`t believe it, like unbridled energy if a 12 year old.
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I dont typically get the keto breath, but it has happened. Doesn`t last long.

The first few days can be difficult, but the real energy issue people complain about is easily fixed with... salt. When your body starts flushing glycogen, it also dumps sodium from the liver, leading to energy loss. Eating salty things like cheese, stir fried meat and veggies, salted nuts and making sure to season salads will combat this and make any energy issues minimal.

The biggest part about getting started is dealing with the mind game. Your body notices something different, and you`ll convince yourself you feel really crummy and need carbs to survive. Keep eating approved stuff, get plenty of salt and water and push through for a few days and you`ll be fine. When people tell horror stories of being miserable on low carb, 99% of the time they went about it all wrong and just wimped out before they could adjust.

It takes a couple weeks(or so, depending) to fully switch into ketosis, though you`ll feel normal much before this point. But when your body launches into 100%, you will have energy and mental focus like you can`t even believe.

2 years ago, I had just started working out again and was far from being in great shape. On my day off, I did 2 p90x workouts(plyo and chest/back), hiked 7 miles and rode my bike for an hour. I had energy to burn and I couldn`t believe it, like unbridled energy if a 12 year old.
    hmm, interesting. gonna have to look into this some more

Thread Information