Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2017 Health and Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    P90x is a good program for those of us that want to workout at home with minimal equipment. I was doing well with it about two years ago, but I think it was a bit too hard in my back and triggered my major episode.

Good luck!
    I managed to screw my back up doing insanity so I don`t do that anymore. P90X actually helps strengthen my back and makes the pain and discomfort go away. Form is key, and knowing your limits.

It is extremely hard. Not for everyone. I love it though

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator- what type of routine are you doing, that you`re able to fit it all in 25 minutes? I used to do that HIT stuff, highly controversial, with good results but it`s easy to burn out on it.
    That "25 minutes" comes from averaging...a result of my *NOT* exercising very much/often; I only do the minimum required to get the results I want, and if I do *more* I don`t get those results anyhow. A given workout might take a while, but then I`ll go days before the next one. And most of the w/o are awfully brief.

Oh man, this`ll be LONG...I could write a book

[INSERT disclaimer that what works for me might be all wrong for others..]

[INSERT note that I`ve studiously evaluated my workouts for over 30 years and I continue to study this subject in pretty great depth. You name it, I`ve read/tried/evaluated how it works *for me*]

Note that I`m spoiled- I have a fully-equipped gym in the basement. I train alone, at home (shades of Clubber Lang ).

Cardio: High Intensity Interval Training, 2:1 (work:rest) intervals, target is >90% my (actual, not "age-adjusted") max heart rate during the work intervals.

I alternate between the StairMaster and the AirDyne, doing two SM sessions then one AD. Each session leaves me *utterly* played and yes indeed I can understand why people burn out on it (I just don`t, been doing this for a long time now).

I do two, *maybe* three cardio sessions/week max. Each is short, that`s all I (or anybody else...check the original Tabata studies) can handle if I truly max out the work intervals while keeping the rest intervals short. My warmups are 3-5 minutes; my Workout is 3-10 minutes; my cooldowns are 2-5 minutes. I do this first thing that morning, before breakfast.

I walk the dogs briskly cross-country (hiking, really) frequently, at least several times weekly, but I don`t really consider that "cardio", more like "recovery work".

Resistance Training: Basically a variation on the Heavy Duty approach, tweaked towards what works best for me long-term.

I`ve found that *FOR ME* it`s best to split up my bodyparts into numerous fairly brief workouts. I wish that approach weren`t the best for me, but it is, so that`s what I do.

Each body part gets worked directly each 10-18 (not a typo) days as *I* need a lot of recovery time. No more than 6-7 work sets per bodypart (that`s for back and I usually do far fewer), some bodyparts only need one. The split is basically:

-Cardio day, Upper Legs (2-7 sets), abs (abs are always 1-2 brief, ~low-rep sets max)
    -Cardio day the next week, Lower Legs (2-4 brief, low-rep sets max), maybe abs
    -Back, biceps (1-3 sets), brachialis or rear delts (one set of either every other w/o)
    -Chest, triceps (3 sets), mid delts (one set every other w/o)
    -Forearms (4-6 sets max)
    -maybe an extra ab day now and then at the end of some other w/o

That`s it.

"But you can`t gain on one work set every couple of weeks". Bull.

The targeted muscles get very sore *every* time (except my biceps, which hardly ever get sore). Other related muscles also get a little sore (e.g., work back = chest gets a bit too).

I do very little warming up/cooling down, maybe two light but strict sets of the first exercise. I do every rep fairly slowly and with strict form, only loosening that slightly for occasional additional inroad. I rest as long as I feel like between sets, even if that`s a long time. I do every single work set to absolute concentric failure, sometimes even adding eccentric and static failure at the end of the set.

I give *a lot* of thought to things like:
    -gravity pulls straight down but most muscles don`t move straight up/down
    -many forms of resistance are constant/linear, but most muscles don`t work that way
    -some muscles benefit/don`t from holding the peak contraction
    -the understanding of what specific muscles actually do, which isn`t always obvious

Again, this is just what works for me. And/but I`m 100% satisfied with my results and I expect to be able to keep doing this indefinitely. Have *never* had a significant injury/issue, and haven`t had *any* for many years. Long layoffs (e.g., surgical recovery) have very little detrimental effect, I bounce right back in no time. I can eat as much as I like of whatever I like with no thought to getting fat. Totally dialed-in
    Likes 4u2nvinmtl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was and still am a huge proponent of Stronglifts 5x5 , Wendler 5-3-1 and similar programs. I could do cardio and targeted weights for days but it was not till I started focusing on compound lifts like Squats, Deadlifts, Overhead Press, Cleans, and barbell rows that I started seeing strength gains and changes in my body composition.

With stronglifts I am in the gym 3 days a week (1.5 hours a session start to finish including warming up and stretching, usually planks during cool down), 1 day of sport specific KB training, and then once every two weeks I would do a Tabata protocol in place of the KB training. https://www.t-nation.com/training/6-...-fast-fat-loss

Also a big part of gains/ fat burning and an important part of results is the appropriate rest which follows. Getting the 8+ hours of sleep if possible, taking the rest days off and eating clean etc. thats when you give your muscles the adequate time to repair and grow.

Post Thanks / Like

@House of Wax - I have done 5x5 stronglift and I really enjoyed it until I hurt myself. It was user error. I was extra tired one day and wanted to maintain my progress on deadlifts, ended up pulling my lower back. My advise is to adjust accordingly and don`t outdo yourself if you don`t have the energy.

As for myself, I`m at 172 lbs and I want to get back to 150-155 lbs range. 2016 was also a bad year for me (since I hurt my lower back) and I had purchased my first place, meaning I needed to spent a lot of time I didn`t have to cook healthy meals for myself. Diet is a big thing to work on this year.

I`m sitting at 25% BF and I`m making `mental` progress to get myself back to 15-17% BF.

Thanks for starting this thread
    Check out my Youtube Channel!

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator-

Thats very Arthur Jones type approach to your workout. Makes a lot of sense. If it works, it works.

Post Thanks / Like

2nd consecutive day In the gym killings myself with cardio and lifting. My goal is to do 5 days per week and rest 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaydiantDetail View Post
    Ugh 2016 was a bad year for me health wise. I was in great shape prior but then my daughter was born and I did not have a lot of time to train and we were eating unhealthy and out a lot I ended up gaining 30lbs last year. About a month ago I started back up with home cooked meals and recently I am back to training 3-4 times a week.

I have been focusing on the Ketogenic diet which is similar to Atkins. High healthy Fats, moderate protein and low carbs. My macros look like 70% Fats - 25% Protein - 5% Carbs. I am down about 10lbs so far and have about 20lbs more to go to get back to my healthy walking weight. Need to get back down to 170lbs to compete at Middle weight.

Honestly, having kids really does change everything. My wife and I had no problem staying in shape before we had kids. I have a hard time taking any time away from them, so I don`t like doing it while they`re awake, but by the time we get them to bed I`m zapped.

I`ve contemplated doing the keto thing before, but I`ve ready a lot of people have, uhh......odor issues. Any comments on that? How do you feel energy wise throughout the day?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneB View Post
    208lbs. 2nd highest weight I`ve been. (212 back in or around 2011). Dropped 30 lbs here, gained, dropped, gained. I go in streaks. Starting P90X today. Aiming to be back down to 180 by april. Done it plenty of times before.

I`ve done the p90x thing before. It absolutely works, but I just cannot get into doing the whole videos thing. I don`t know, just always dreaded doing it when I did. My wife on the other hand loves videos. She needs somebody actively telling her what to do to workout

Post Thanks / Like

I was and still am a huge proponent of Stronglifts 5x5 , Wendler 5-3-1 and similar programs. I could do cardio and targeted weights for days but it was not till I started focusing on compound lifts like Squats, Deadlifts, Overhead Press, Cleans, and barbell rows that I started seeing strength gains and changes in my body composition.

With stronglifts I am in the gym 3 days a week (1.5 hours a session start to finish including warming up and stretching, usually planks during cool down), 1 day of sport specific KB training, and then once every two weeks I would do a Tabata protocol in place of the KB training. https://www.t-nation.com/training/6-...-fast-fat-loss

Also a big part of gains/ fat burning and an important part of results is the appropriate rest which follows. Getting the 8+ hours of sleep if possible, taking the rest days off and eating clean etc. thats when you give your muscles the adequate time to repair and grow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelfiris View Post
    @House of Wax - I have done 5x5 stronglift and I really enjoyed it until I hurt myself. It was user error. I was extra tired one day and wanted to maintain my progress on deadlifts, ended up pulling my lower back. My advise is to adjust accordingly and don`t outdo yourself if you don`t have the energy.

As for myself, I`m at 172 lbs and I want to get back to 150-155 lbs range. 2016 was also a bad year for me (since I hurt my lower back) and I had purchased my first place, meaning I needed to spent a lot of time I didn`t have to cook healthy meals for myself. Diet is a big thing to work on this year.

I`m sitting at 25% BF and I`m making `mental` progress to get myself back to 15-17% BF.

Thanks for starting this thread
    Glad to hear others have success with this. I started Starting Strength last night. I`m already getting more and more pumped to really get going on this and see some changes. Didn`t feel to bad last night or even this morning when I woke up, but have gotten more sore as the day has gone on lol. Did a quick 15 minute beginner yoga thing tonight. I really want to get my flexibility back as well. Do you guys feel like your biceps were neglected at all through the program? Thats the one area that seems like it doesnt get much work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by House of Wax View Post
    Glad to hear others have success with this. I started Starting Strength last night. I`m already getting more and more pumped to really get going on this and see some changes. Didn`t feel to bad last night or even this morning when I woke up, but have gotten more sore as the day has gone on lol. Did a quick 15 minute beginner yoga thing tonight. I really want to get my flexibility back as well. Do you guys feel like your biceps were neglected at all through the program? Thats the one area that seems like it doesnt get much work
    To be honest you can supplement with additional bicep/arm work outs however i only did this maybe once a week with barbell curls and pull ups/ chin ups.
    The compound lifts really work your entire body and after a while you will feel it I also have very long bicep head, thanks genetics, so really nothing i do makes them look bigger until i flex and point people in the direction of the beach.

If you are doing any type of strong lifts or strentgh training at some point id really recommene getting yourself some fractional plates. They came in 0.25, 0.5, 0.75 and 1lbs. When you start hitting plateaues they will help you safely and slowly break them without having to increase your total weight by 5lbs.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, having kids really does change everything. My wife and I had no problem staying in shape before we had kids. I have a hard time taking any time away from them, so I don`t like doing it while they`re awake, but by the time we get them to bed I`m zapped.

I`ve contemplated doing the keto thing before, but I`ve ready a lot of people have, uhh......odor issues. Any comments on that? How do you feel energy wise throughout the day?
    So I probably smelled even prior to starting keto lol but no you will for a short while due to the ketones. So you get what is called keto breathe and keto odour and it almost has a fruit like smell.

Initially you will feel like pure crap and get what is called the keto flu. While your body is getting into ketosis and purging itself of glucose usually last 1 to 2 weeks. The first 4 days for me were rough.

Get yourself some keto sticks from the pharmacy to monitor if you are in ketosis.

Id also suggest slowly decreasing carb intake and increasing good fats instead of all at once to help alleviate the energy drain.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont typically get the keto breath, but it has happened. Doesn`t last long.

The first few days can be difficult, but the real energy issue people complain about is easily fixed with... salt. When your body starts flushing glycogen, it also dumps sodium from the liver, leading to energy loss. Eating salty things like cheese, stir fried meat and veggies, salted nuts and making sure to season salads will combat this and make any energy issues minimal.

The biggest part about getting started is dealing with the mind game. Your body notices something different, and you`ll convince yourself you feel really crummy and need carbs to survive. Keep eating approved stuff, get plenty of salt and water and push through for a few days and you`ll be fine. When people tell horror stories of being miserable on low carb, 99% of the time they went about it all wrong and just wimped out before they could adjust.

It takes a couple weeks(or so, depending) to fully switch into ketosis, though you`ll feel normal much before this point. But when your body launches into 100%, you will have energy and mental focus like you can`t even believe.

2 years ago, I had just started working out again and was far from being in great shape. On my day off, I did 2 p90x workouts(plyo and chest/back), hiked 7 miles and rode my bike for an hour. I had energy to burn and I couldn`t believe it, like unbridled energy if a 12 year old.
    Likes RaydiantDetail liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

To be honest you can supplement with additional bicep/arm work outs however i only did this maybe once a week with barbell curls and pull ups/ chin ups.
    The compound lifts really work your entire body and after a while you will feel it I also have very long bicep head, thanks genetics, so really nothing i do makes them look bigger until i flex and point people in the direction of the beach.

If you are doing any type of strong lifts or strentgh training at some point id really recommene getting yourself some fractional plates. They came in 0.25, 0.5, 0.75 and 1lbs. When you start hitting plateaues they will help you safely and slowly break them without having to increase your total weight by 5lbs.

sweet. thanks for the tips

Post Thanks / Like

I dont typically get the keto breath, but it has happened. Doesn`t last long.

The first few days can be difficult, but the real energy issue people complain about is easily fixed with... salt. When your body starts flushing glycogen, it also dumps sodium from the liver, leading to energy loss. Eating salty things like cheese, stir fried meat and veggies, salted nuts and making sure to season salads will combat this and make any energy issues minimal.

The biggest part about getting started is dealing with the mind game. Your body notices something different, and you`ll convince yourself you feel really crummy and need carbs to survive. Keep eating approved stuff, get plenty of salt and water and push through for a few days and you`ll be fine. When people tell horror stories of being miserable on low carb, 99% of the time they went about it all wrong and just wimped out before they could adjust.

It takes a couple weeks(or so, depending) to fully switch into ketosis, though you`ll feel normal much before this point. But when your body launches into 100%, you will have energy and mental focus like you can`t even believe.

2 years ago, I had just started working out again and was far from being in great shape. On my day off, I did 2 p90x workouts(plyo and chest/back), hiked 7 miles and rode my bike for an hour. I had energy to burn and I couldn`t believe it, like unbridled energy if a 12 year old.
    hmm, interesting. gonna have to look into this some more

Post Thanks / Like

@House of Wax

If you are using the 5x5 stronglift app to track your progress, it does actually have bicep workouts in the form of pull ups. Its in the extended version (or paid version) for tracking. They advise to do the pull ups after you go through the whole session first.

If you search/Google 5x5 stronglift, you will find a lot of info behind the creator. All of it can be tracked by paper and pen if you wanted it to
    Check out my Youtube Channel!

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information